Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Still with us - musicians

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Riviera said:

Oakster said:

Wonder which is the oldest band with all the original members still alive?

OK who can beat Genesis? No one under 64 from the original line up.
    As mentioned earlier both Slade and Status Quo, all original members still alive and all older than 64.
    And Black Sabbath - all late sixties and still going. And those guys bit the heads off bats and stuff...
  • Options
    So the conclusion is?

They're ALL gonna die!!!!!
  • Options
    Allan Clarke – lead vocals, guitar, harmonica 73
    Graham Nash – vocals, guitar 73
    Vic Steele – guitar 70
    Eric Haydock – bass 72
    Don Rathbone – drums 73

Original line-up of The Hollies, all still alive.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Oakster said:

As mentioned earlier both Slade and Status Quo, all original members still alive and all older than 64.
    Riviera said:

Oakster said:

Think The Eagles will beat both.
  • Options
    Eagles don't beat Slade who have 3 at 69 and nowhere near The Hollies.
  • Options
    Neil Young is 70, I think. Still going strong too!
  • Options
    And the musician/writer of some of the arguably some of the greatest songs of all time such as I'm Into Something Good, The Loco-Motion, Crying In The Rain, Goin' Back, Halfway To Paradise, He's In Town, It Might As Well Rain Until September, Will You Love Me Tomorrow, Up On The Roof, Like A Natural Woman, Oh No Not My Baby, One Fine Day, Pleasant Valley Sunday, Take Good Care Of My Baby and You've Got A Friend will be 74 in a couple of weeks time - and is still sounding as if she was 50 years younger.

I am, of course, talking about the wonderful Carole King.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Chas and Dave?
  • Options

Chas and Dave?

Original drummer's no longer with us.
  • Options
    Rush and ZZ Top going well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Chas and Dave?

Mick Burt, their drummer, died a few years ago and despite not having his name in the group title, I believe that he was performing with them from the start.
  • Options

Chas and Dave?

Mick Burt, their drummer, died a few years ago and despite not having his name in the group title, I believe that he was performing with them from the start.
    Dear old Mickey Burt died last year, Chas son now drums for them
  • Options

Chas and Dave?

Chas and Dave?

Original drummer's no longer with us.
    One I missed - sorry to hear that.
    Thanks for info.

• Options

Chas and Dave?

I'm not sure they are still alive based on their appearance on Brian Pern last night.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    So no one can beat The Hollies then?
  • Options

And the musician/writer of some of the arguably some of the greatest songs of all time such as I'm Into Something Good, The Loco-Motion, Crying In The Rain, Goin' Back, Halfway To Paradise, He's In Town, It Might As Well Rain Until September, Will You Love Me Tomorrow, Up On The Roof, Like A Natural Woman, Oh No Not My Baby, One Fine Day, Pleasant Valley Sunday, Take Good Care Of My Baby and You've Got A Friend will be 74 in a couple of weeks time - and is still sounding as if she was 50 years younger.

I agree .. along with ex husband Gerry Goffin (the lyricist) who died a few months back .. the Brill Building .. we'll never see the likes again
  • Options
    Damn! Trying to beat The Hollies I looked up Booker T and the MGs - couple of them gone.
  • Options
    Can anyone beat The Jets with the original line up still playing together though... :smiley:
  • Options
    Riviera said:

So no one can beat The Hollies then?

I was watching a documentary about the origins of Rock & Roll recently and there was an influential American Doo Wop group from the late 50s still going strong with all their original members, can't for the life of me remember their name - although I am pretty sure they were from Chicago.
  • Options
    Mott the Hoople singer Ian Hunter is 76 and still rockin with the best of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Seekers original line-up are all still alive - not sure how active they are!!
  • Options
    Gerry & the Pacemakers............ ??

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    Gary Glitter.
  • Options

Gerry & the Pacemakers............ ??

I'll get my coat.

Gerry Marsden's brother who was in the original line up is no longer with us.
  • Options
    My top vocalist is Shane MacGowan ...not the oldest by any means but still surviving despite a life of excess
  • Options
    Roger Daltrey
    Bill Withers
    Maurice White (Earth, Wind and Fire)
    John Williams (Composer, movie scores)
    :smile:
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Oakster said:

Yeah but Status Quo don't deserve to be on there given that they slag off English audiences in the French press.
  • Options

I agree .. along with ex husband Gerry Goffin (the lyricist) who died a few months back .. the Brill Building .. we'll never see the likes again
    And of course talking about Carole King leads us to "Oh Carol", written by her once High School boyfriend, Neil Sedaka.
    Mr Sedaka will be 78 in March.
  • Options
    Pointless list as there will always be so many absentees. Plenty of old bluesmen still around including Buddy Guy and Otis Rush.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Looked up ZZ Top and surprised to learn they have been playing together since 1969, ten years before I thought they started.
    47 years I the same tour bus!

Also surprised to read an article by Noddy Holder saying that the guys in the band detest each other which is why they haven't played together since the early 1990's.