Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Still with us - musicians

13»

Comments

• Options

Looked up ZZ Top and surprised to learn they have been playing together since 1969, ten years before I thought they started.
    47 years I the same tour bus!

Also surprised to read an article by Noddy Holder saying that the guys in the band detest each other which is why they haven't played together since the early 1990's.

Dave Hill and Don Powell don't "detest" each other as they still perform together. I don't think Noddy has a problem with Jim Lea either. Their differences are all about money, Holder and Lea wrote the songs and receive the royalties, the others get nothing. A common issue in the business, Spandau, Smiths and many others.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Looked up ZZ Top and surprised to learn they have been playing together since 1969, ten years before I thought they started.

Also surprised to read an article by Noddy Holder saying that the guys in the band detest each other which is why they haven't played together since the early 1990's.

Dave Hill and Don Powell don't "detest" each other as they still perform together. I don't think Noddy has a problem with Jim Lea either. Their differences are all about money, Holder and Lea wrote the songs and receive the royalties, the others get nothing. A common issue in the business, Spandau, Smiths and many others.
    If I was the drummer or bassist in the Smiths, I'd do everything I could to distance myself from being responsible for writing any of their songs.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Just ordered 'Were all crazed now' by Noddy.
    I'll see if it contradicts what I've read about the band being unable to sit round a table, Noddys stated biggest regret in his life.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Amazing French Artist Sophie Lo does posters/CD covers for a select few bands in a retro style.
    http://www.sophielo.com/sophie_lo_posters.htmlimage
  • Options
    Jan Akkerman ex Focus - one of the finest lead guitars of that era & Focus - all still alive.
  • Options
    I've seen a few old cult bands in recent years at various festivals, Thirteenth Floor Elevators, The Zombies, Kaleidoscope, Silver Apples, Golden Dawn & The Moving Sidewalks (ZZ Top).

The Moving Sidewalks are all still going strong - they released their first & best single in 1967 - one of THE great garage songs. Billy Gibbons went on to form ZZ Top after most of the band were drafted for Vietnam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTa0TGJ8J74
  • Options

Amazing French Artist Sophie Lo does posters of many of your favorite bands in a retro style.
    http://www.sophielo.com/sophie_lo_posters.htmlimage

That is very cool
  • Options

Mott the Hoople singer Ian Hunter is 76 and still rockin with the best of them.

Dale Griffin, their original drummer died today.
  • Options
    Glen Frey of The Eagles gone today as well :-(
  • Options

Mott the Hoople singer Ian Hunter is 76 and still rockin with the best of them.

Dale Griffin, their original drummer died today.
    I've just seen that DM. When Mott did their reunion gigs in 2009 they hauled him on stage for a couple of numbers at the end but he was in a bad way even then, so I'm surprised he lasted that long to be honest. Very underrated drummer and produced quite a few of the John Peel sessions. RIP Buffin.