Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Freak Week

2»

Comments

• Options
    Wasn't there a week in the 1960s I think where Charlton had back to back 5-0 wins and then lost the next game 0-4? Something I rememer seeing in the late and great Colin Cameron's home and away book. I'm sure many of the older fans on here will recall that. Now that was certainly a freak week. Hasn't happened since.
  • Options
    The worrying thing is that were we to lose 5-0 next match, 4-0 the one after, 3-0 after that, down to 1-0 in the fifth game of Riga's reign, Meire would tell us what a wonderful improvement we have seen thanks to their astute choosing of managers...
  • Options
    Stig said:

Only Charlton could beat a side 6-4 and then lose 6-4 to that very same side in the very next match

I believe Plymouth could ;-)

No, I believe they did it the other way round?

• Options
    edited January 2016
    This season we have lost nine league games where we have shipped three or more goals in a match. That's a third of our games so far. It's been clear for some time that we have issues defensively, and yet when we get a chance to address it, we bring in a player who's past it and a someone who hasn't played for the best part of a couple of years. As @mogodon says, it's been coming, and I think it's wrong to look at this as a freak week and try to write it off as such.

The problem we have now is that most teams in this division know that if they really go for it at the start and manage to nick an early goal, the team will crumble. We face Blackburn on Saturday who have already put three past us this season, and whilst they aren't in a great position themselves, they will see this as a great opportunity to put three points between them and a potential relegation rival. After that we have Rotherham and Bristol City who you can bet will both be up for a scrap. It worries me that half our squad don't seem interested and I'm not sure they have the fight in them that we need right now.

Riga has a massive task on his hands and I suspect he had no idea how bad things were until now.