Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rhys Williams

This lad has had an awful start to his loan period. I am really dissapointed as the soundbites indicated that he was just the type of player we needed.
I took the opportunity to look up his Wiki page and have seen that he played 127 games for Middlesboro and 14 for his country. To be fair neither of them could be considered slouches.Has been club captain and described as a firm favourite at Boro. Still only 27 as well.
Have we signed the right player, or is he still up there at Riverside. Cmon on Rhys prove us wrong as from now!

Comments

• Options

Like the second coming of Danny Seabourne

Shuddered at that. I had forgotten him thankyou!
  • Options
    It's a sign of a predicament that we are now a rehabilitation centre for the best team in the Championship.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Trouble is, he is precisely the sort of player we should not be signing in our current situation.

Two serious injuries, played only two games in the last two years, lacking match fitness, only here for 28 days. I've got nothing against the bloke, he just wants to get fit and play but we can't afford to be the ones nursing him back into football. We needed an experienced centre half who could step straight into the first team and take command.

It really is a joke signing and sums up Charlton's incompetent and desperate player recruitment.

You have made some very valid points there. I did think he had played more games than that. Two is as good as none really.
  • Options
    You get what you pay for really, we're able to get him on a 28-day cheap loan because he is far, far from being sharp & fit but his track record says that he's a decent player.

If we wanted a decent player who is on form, you have to pay for it - and we're clearly not willing to do that.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Trouble is, he is precisely the sort of player we should not be signing in our current situation.

Two serious injuries, played only two games in the last two years, lacking match fitness, only here for 28 days. I've got nothing against the bloke, he just wants to get fit and play but we can't afford to be the ones nursing him back into football. We needed an experienced centre half who could step straight into the first team and take command.

It really is a joke signing and sums up Charlton's incompetent and desperate player recruitment.

But then where do you get a match fit, experienced centre half in January, unless you spend big money to prise a first team regular from one of your rivals? Or do a swap deal?

The experienced players available are generally those who can't get in the team, and hence aren't match fit. Morrison, for example I imagine wasn't fully match fit when he joined Birmingham.

• Options
    A quote from my Boro supporting mate after I complained about Williams that sums his signing up nicely: 'the last I saw of him he was a decent footballer, but since then I've got married, moved twice and got two new jobs'.

Whatever Williams once was or had the potential to be is historical now, and picking him up was essentially picking up a player without having done a single moment's scouting. He was signed based on the fact he was a footballer two years ago with no data or judgment to go on inbetween, and the vague hope that nothing could possibly change if a player misses two years of football. Our club is insane.
  • Options
    Fingers crossed he can start showing us why he's a fan favourite up there. Middlesbrough's current back line is doing just fine without him so can see loan being extended.

Granted, Rhys is a sticking plaster for a defene that needs its own A&E.
  • Options
    *Defence
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Given his bad injuries and lack of game time in the last two years this must have been a very cheap loan that was always unlikely to be a success.

Roland. We are going down mate. Cheap punts are not the answer.
  • Options

Missed It said:

But then where do you get a match fit, experienced centre half in January, unless you spend big money to prise a first team regular from one of your rivals? Or do a swap deal?

The experienced players available are generally those who can't get in the team, and hence aren't match fit. Morrison, for example I imagine wasn't fully match fit when he joined Birmingham.

No, you're absolutely right. I've said on here before, you do not get good value with January transfer window. The wholes in the squad should have been addressed in the summer.

This has happened every year since Duchatlelet took over. The squad is assembled in the summer with an inadequate budget (and I suspect a strict limit on headcount/positions) and when it is shown to be inadequate over the first half of the season, typical January cast-offs are used to plug the gaps.

There is no strategy to build a competitive squad over several seasons like Charlton did back in Curbishley's day. The best players are there to be sold, everybody else is there to make up the numbers.
  • Options
    The way I see it Roland is only interested in promotion on as lean a budget as he sees necessary. He spends what HE thinks is enough regardless of squad size or quality and IF we were to be in a very strong position to push on in any given January, I genuinely think he would have a punt. Otherwise he's content to accept being an also ran with no or little financial outlay.
  • Options
    Just hope he's not become a Footballer that has been injured so often he's just happy to be playing Football again yet at the same time is terrified that another horrible injury could be just round the corner.

Its like Grant Basey... He slowly dropped through the Leagues and is playing at a level so that he can enjoy the game yet its not the end of the world if he gets injured as he's another job (I presume so) to fall back on to
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Missed It said:

No, you're absolutely right. I've said on here before, you do not get good value with January transfer window. The wholes in the squad should have been addressed in the summer.

This has happened every year since Duchatlelet took over. The squad is assembled in the summer with an inadequate budget (and I suspect a strict limit on headcount/positions) and when it is shown to be inadequate over the first half of the season, typical January cast-offs are used to plug the gaps.

There is no strategy to build a competitive squad over several seasons like Charlton did back in Curbishley's day. The best players are there to be sold, everybody else is there to make up the numbers.
    I don't know if the summer budget was large enough, but on Saturday NONE of the summer signings started, and only 2 were on the bench, so maybe it's the wrong players being signed that is the issue? What happened to Ba, for example?
  • Options

Just hope he's not become a Footballer that has been injured so often he's just happy to be playing Football again yet at the same time is terrified that another horrible injury could be just round the corner.

Its like Grant Basey... He slowly dropped through the Leagues and is playing at a level so that he can enjoy the game yet its not the end of the world if he gets injured as he's another job (I presume so) to fall back on to

Forever, He is now a Lecturer at North West Kent College. Sports Science I believe.
  • Options
    He has pitched up for his own reasons, to rehabilitate himself, don't blame him, but not what is needed. I was also unimpressed by his first appearance at the Valley, for the same reason that impressed others strangely enough, as I didn't like him actually doing Jack, but telling everybody else what to do, the Australian Reza.
  • Options
    When RD is gone we need a proper scouting network to be reinstated ASAP. A team of people who know what they are doing.
  • Options
    He was truly terrible. But we shouldn't be plugging the holes of Morrison, Dervite and Gomez with a player just coming back from a long-term injury. 3/4 of that back four are nowhere near good enough.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

Forever, He is now a Lecturer at North West Kent College. Sports Science I believe.
    Basey is now more of a cricketer than a footballer!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

pettgra said:

Now thats a proper sport. I hate football, for the time being anyway.
    I think he is turning out for VCD, who was he playing cricket for Leuth?
  • Options
    Missed It said:

And that sums it up perfectly.

Nothing more to be said.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

Leuth said:

pettgra said:

Yep, i watched him play Phoenix over Christmas.

Still got a good left foot, but he's as big as an house.
  • Options
    Williams was a very talented player and was rated as one of Boro's best but he's been wrecked by injuries and I suspect his career there is well and truly over. The poor bloke's performance on Saturday was on a par with Mike Small's at Millwall in 1994.

Presumably the reason we signed him is that we contribute only a nominal amount to his wages or, alternatively, nothing. Nice work, Katrien - maybe also Karel's way of leaving a mess on the carpet on the way out.
  • Options
    Our club is insane.

No Garrymanilow, it's the bloody owner who wants his brain checking, but I think you will find that RD's only priority is not to lose money. He cares nothing about the football situation apparently, just the assets and how he can best exploit them before he walks away our Club.
  • Options

pettgra said:

Leuth said:

pettgra said:

Just big boned?
  • Options
    id guess part of the loan deal is we have to play him---so far its been right back,left back and mid field. the only constant is he is dog shit.

This is the standard of player we can "recruit".Even if Roland opens his wallet (he wont) no one will come here.
  • Options

pettgra said:

Leuth said:

pettgra said:

The new Rob Key :smile:
  • Options
    He was absolutely fucking TERRIBLE at Hull .. we simply have not got the time nor the points in hand to break him in gently .. any loanees must be up to speed and fit from the get go .. send him back to 'Boro, he's a waste of money
  • Options

He was absolutely fucking TERRIBLE at Hull .. we simply have not got the time nor the points in hand to break him in gently .. any loanees must be up to speed and fit from the get go .. send him back to 'Boro, he's a waste of money

Spot on Lincs.