Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official 2016 Australian Open Thread

Comments

• Options
    Berdych takes match 6-4
  • Options
    Berdych wins. Kyrgios up to his usual bad mannered tricks.
  • Options
    Glasshalffull at the matchimage
  • Options
    Kyrgios. Great talent. Total bellend.

Admittedly he's still young but he needs to grow up soon.
  • Options
    AM a set up but Sousa playing fast and well keeping him honest. Whatever that means...
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Souza gets the second but Andy takes the third and then the fourth with a double break.
  • Options
    Konta is into the Quarter-Finals of the Ladies Draw.

She lost the first set 6-4 but then went on to win 6-4 / 8-6, becomes the first female Brit into that stage of a Major since 1984, she'll face either Madison Keys (15th Seed) from the USA / Shuai Zhang from China in the next round
  • Options
    Great stuff from Konta!
  • Options
    Good to see!

Could well be seeded soon too which will help.
  • Options
    Holy Macaronie... we might be about to get a Hungarian Australian British woman into the semi-finals of a grand slam.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Job done!
  • Options
    Murray leading 2-1(sets) and a break up in the fourth set. Looking very good.
  • Options
    Well done Johanna Konta. To make the semi as an unseeded player is very impressive. To do it with 'GB' after your name on the scoreboard is amazing.
  • Options
    I've just read the BBC report on this:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/35416399
    I never knew Wade won the Aussie Open, I thought Wimbledon was here only major win.
  • Options

I've just read the BBC report on this:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/35416399
    I never knew Wade won the Aussie Open, I thought Wimbledon was here only major win.

Virginia Wade also won the US Open.
    Whilst it keeps being reported that GB had two semi finalists in the '77 Aus open, I think it should be pointed out that in the late 1970's the Aussie Open was not well attended by the worlds top tennis top tennis players, no Borg, Connors, McEnroe or Nastase nor Evert or Navratilova etc.
  • Options
    Well done to both of them, Jamie too who's through to the semis of the doubles, though that's almost to be expected at the moment.

A busy fortnight for Judy Murray too!
  • Options
    Isnt Jamie still in the Mixed Doubles too?
  • Options

Isnt Jamie still in the Mixed Doubles too?

No, lost in the QF
  • Options

Well done Johanna Konta. To make the semi as an unseeded player is very impressive. To do it with 'GB' after your name on the scoreboard is amazing.

Sorry, not having that, she was born in Australia and represented them until 2012.
  • Options
    I really don't want to like Konta because her 'Britishness' feels contrived but she comes across well when interviewed and seems genuinely likeable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I really don't want to like Konta because her 'Britishness' feels contrived but she comes across well when interviewed and seems genuinely likeable.

And she does sound English as well, which helps!
  • Options
    Out in straight sets.

Fantastic run over the last couple of weeks though.
  • Options
    She should be really proud of her achievements... Early nomination (Wont win) for SPOTY!!
  • Options
    Djokovic giving Federer a lesson in semi final. 6-1 first set and a break down in second
  • Options
    Unbelievable from Djokovic. 6-1 6-2 in just 53 minutes ! Best tennis I have ever seen.
  • Options
    Djokovic 2 sets up 6-1 6-2

Can't watch any more
  • Options
    It looks like Andy is facing another defeat in the Australian open final, hopefully Jamie can win though!
  • Options

It looks like Andy is facing another defeat in the Australian open final, hopefully Jamie can win though!

Reckon Andy is on the phone asking Kim to go into labour so he can skip having to face Djokovic

I know he's said that he'll withdraw but wonder what'll happen if he reaches the final and Kim goes into labour on Saturday, there are going to be some real annoyed Sponsors not getting to see the Final or would Raonic be re-instated?
  • Options
    They can't reinstate someone if they have been beaten.
  • Options

They can't reinstate someone if they have been beaten.

So basically if Murray gets to the Final and has to abandon... there is no Final... Ouch!!