Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official 2016 Australian Open Thread

Comments

• Options
    Fed making a game of this, maybe miracles do happen!
  • Options
    The Fed gets a set back, game on!
  • Options
    Djokovic wins in four sets.

Do you think the Aussies get bored of him winning it every year?
  • Options
    Murray v Raonic gone to a fifth set!

Djok must be quietly confident whatever happens.
  • Options
    Murray 4-0 up in fifth set.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Djok is at another level now, I can't imagine Murray has any confidence he can beat him, especially in Australia
  • Options
    Murray 5-1 up in the fifth.
  • Options
    5-2
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Djok is at another level now, I can't imagine Murray has any confidence he can beat him, especially in Australia
    Having said that, 10 years ago I would never have been so casual about a British player reaching a Grand Slam final, something which Tim never achieved, and Greg achieved just once!
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Having said that, 10 years ago I would never have been so casual about a British player reaching a Grand Slam final, something which Tim never achieved, and Greg achieved just once!
    Fifth time Murray has reached the final in Melbourne.

Lost the first four though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Game set and match Murray 6-2 in the fifth.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    It's interesting how the Australians spread the big matches around, rather than having both semis on the same day.

Thus Djok/Fed was yesterday, while Murray was today. Even the finals are spread around, the women's doubles final took place today before the Murray match, which does make it look a bit unimportant, the warm up to the big event...
  • Options
    He seemed to get away with that... He only got broken once which was in the first set but sounded as though the last set was easier because of a groin issue for Roanic
  • Options

He seemed to get away with that... He only got broken once which was in the first set but sounded as though the last set was easier because of a groin issue for Roanic

I hope Charlton Athletic aren't treating him...
  • Options
    Three Scots in the finals - Andy (singles), Jamie (doubles) and Gordon Reid has made the final of the men's wheelchair singles and doubles !
  • Options
    I don't like Murray and can't stand the way he acts on court. However he is the greatest British player ever and one of the very best ever to play the game.

He is unlucky to play in an era of truly great players
  • Options

I don't like Murray and can't stand the way he acts on court. However he is the greatest British player ever and one of the very best ever to play the game.

You never heard of Fred Perry?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Riviera said:

i thought he made polo shirts? (:
  • Options
    Don't think anyone could really claim Perry was better than Murray considering the difference in Tennis now from even 10 years or so ago let alone the 30s.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

You can't compare the level of competition between now and then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Riviera said:

You can't compare the level of competition between now and then.
    Precisely! So in this era you cannot claim someone is the best ever.
  • Options
    What Fred is wearing below is the first point... How someone could play tennis in trousers back then is crazy, give him the freedom of shorts and a light breathable t-shirt from the modern age and he'll feel like he's got wings, he managed this in the heat of the Australian Open etc. as well when players often complain of how hot it is these days.

• Options
    It's impossible to compare people between eras, but Perry won all 4 majors, totalling 8 Grand Slams so it's hard not to say he was Britain's greatest
  • Options

It's impossible to compare people between eras, but Perry won all 4 majors, totalling 8 Grand Slams so it's hard not to say he was Britain's greatest

Plus when we won the Australian Open Singles, he also won the Doubles event the same year

Same when we won Wimbledon in 1936, he also won the Mixed Doubles event
  • Options

Plus when we won the Australian Open Singles, he also won the Doubles event the same year

Same when we won Wimbledon in 1936, he also won the Mixed Doubles event
    The game was less physical then, so it was physically easier to play both singles and doubles. McEnroe, if playing these days, would probably find it too physically tiring to play the doubles as well
  • Options

Don't think anyone could really claim Perry was better than Murray considering the difference in Tennis now from even 10 years or so ago let alone the 30s.

By that logic you could claim that Murray is better than Borg or Laver.
  • Options
    It all depends on how they play tomorrow. On current form Djok has to be the favourite, beating Federer so decisively while Andy seemed to struggle to beat Raonic. But at this level it is about very fine margins. Even straight sets defeats are rarely as unequal as the sets/games tally suggests.
  • Options

It all depends on how they play tomorrow. On current form Djok has to be the favourite, beating Federer so decisively while Andy seemed to struggle to beat Raonic. But at this level it is about very fine margins. Even straight sets defeats are rarely as unequal as the sets/games tally suggests.

The bookies seem confident.

Djok 1-5 Murray 4-1 on Bet 365.
  • Options
    Kerber serving for the title! Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

The bookies seem confident.

Djok 1-5 Murray 4-1 on Bet 365.
    I think Djokovic will win but surprised at 4-1 on Murray.