Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who goes who stays

Comments

• Options
    Assuming we get £10m Bent, £6m through sales of Thomas, Young, Marcus and Romm, plus the £11m parachute payment then we have £27m. Say Pards gets £14m of that to spend. We need a Keeper, a Centre Mid and 2 Strikers, then I would go for the following;

GK:
    Tony Warner (Free) - Good Championship keeper. With Niemi and Lastuvka ahead of him at Fulham and 2 championship loans this season, he may well fancy the chance to stay in London.

Steve Harper (£1m) - Everyone knows what he can do as understudy to Given. 1st team football could prove to be a decisive factor.

Gabor Kiraly (Free) - Just been released by Palace. 2 loan spells at Premier Clubs show his quality. Location and regular football.

Centre Mids:

Hayden Mullins (£2m) - Quality all round midfielder, versatile as he can play in defence as well, has worked with Pardew before and would get one over on Palace.

Zoltan Gera (£2m) - Would add an attacking edge to the side. Threat going forward but questions over loyalty.

Strikers

Freddy Eastwood (£3m) - Proven scorer in the lower leagues, did well in his one season at Championship level.

David Healy (£1m) - Proven Championship striker.

Robbie Blake (£1m) - See above.

Marlon Harewood (£3m) - See above. Worked with Pardew previously.

Heidar Helguson (£2m) - Proven Championship strike.

Therefore our team would look next season;

GK

Kish El Kak Diawara HH

Ambrose CM Holland Reid

ST ST

Subs
    Randolph
    Fortune
    Walton
    Hughes
    Dickson
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Sorry, SR, but I have to disagree.

Look at our last Championship winning side....

Kiely (proven at that level)
    Shield - Rufus (class) - Youds/Tiler/Brown (all proven) - Powell (proven)
    Stuart (proven) - Kinsella (class) - K Jones (proven) - Robinson (proven)
    Hunt (class) - Mendonca (proven)

- Hunt(class) Mendonca only gets proven -- he was without doubt the BEST finisher I have EVER seen in a red shirt -
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Assuming we get £10m Bent, £6m through sales of Thomas, Young, Marcus and Romm, plus the £11m parachute payment then we have £27m. Say Pards gets £14m of that to spend.

Sorry but you have to remember we still have to run the club, pay wages and have the costs of the players bought this season to cover, all on a much reduced budget. Unfortunately, bar a windfall from a rich Arab (no, it's not going to happen), Pards won't have £14m to spend on players
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Assuming we get £10m Bent, £6m through sales of Thomas, Young, Marcus and Romm, plus the £11m parachute payment then we have £27m. Say Pards gets £14m of that to spend. We need a Keeper, a Centre Mid and 2 Strikers, then I would go for the following;

GK:
    Tony Warner (Free) - Good Championship keeper. With Niemi and Lastuvka ahead of him at Fulham and 2 championship loans this season, he may well fancy the chance to stay in London.

Steve Harper (£1m) - Everyone knows what he can do as understudy to Given. 1st team football could prove to be a decisive factor.

Gabor Kiraly (Free) - Just been released by Palace. 2 loan spells at Premier Clubs show his quality. Location and regular football.

Centre Mids:

Hayden Mullins (£2m) - Quality all round midfielder, versatile as he can play in defence as well, has worked with Pardew before and would get one over on Palace.

Zoltan Gera (£2m) - Would add an attacking edge to the side. Threat going forward but questions over loyalty.

Strikers

Freddy Eastwood (£3m) - Proven scorer in the lower leagues, did well in his one season at Championship level.

David Healy (£1m) - Proven Championship striker.

Robbie Blake (£1m) - See above.

Marlon Harewood (£3m) - See above. Worked with Pardew previously.

Heidar Helguson (£2m) - Proven Championship strike.

Therefore our team would look next season;

GK

Kish El Kak Diawara HH

Ambrose CM Holland Reid

ST ST

Subs
    Randolph
    Fortune
    Walton
    Hughes
    Dickson

pretty much agree with alot of your choices of players, except for the back 4 in your team !!!!!

? Magic, Diawara, Thatcher.....(for me)
  • Options
    don't forget we spent most of this years...............oh beat me to it henry.
    without wanting to put a dampener on things, i think the extra money (for prem clubs) will make it harder for us to pick up the kinsellas, hunts, mendoncas or the like. those sort of players (that we have targetted before) will be able to be squad players for most of the bottom half teams in the prem.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Assuming we get £10m Bent, £6m through sales of Thomas, Young, Marcus and Romm, plus the £11m parachute payment then we have £27m. Say Pards gets £14m of that to spend.[/quote]

Sorry but you have to remember we still have to run the club, pay wages and have the costs of the players bought this season to cover, all on a much reduced budget. Unfortunately, bar a windfall from a rich Arab (no, it's not going to happen), Pards won't have £14m to spend on players[/quote]

Apologies, I just realised that the list of players I posted comes to £14m (thats just a coincidence - I don't believe we're actually going to sign the 6 strikers). Just a list of players that I percieve to be realistic targets. Obviously they would have to be paid wages, signing on fee's etc.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Assuming we get £10m Bent, £6m through sales of Thomas, Young, Marcus and Romm, plus the £11m parachute payment then we have £27m. Say Pards gets £14m of that to spend. We need a Keeper, a Centre Mid and 2 Strikers, then I would go for the following;

GK:

You are very welcome to Kiraly, he is just to unpredictable for a team to have a consistant and solid defence, he has had two loan spells in the prem and both clubs have opted against signing him.

I have never seen a keeper get beaten so often at his near post now he has gone I am much more optimistic about our chances for next season.

He also does this mad positioning of crouching before a corner is taken, no other keeper does that! That really should have told him something.
  • Options
    Sorry Eltham. Can't see Thatcher staying and what I've seen of Magic I'd rather keep El Kak in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Sorry Eltham. Can't see Thatcher staying and what I've seen of Magic I'd rather keep El Kak in.

Magic is lucky if he's played a combined total of 45 mins !!!!!, I think Thatcher signed knowing realistically that there was a strong chance we were going down...........Elk Kak for me is just one disaster after another in my opinion. I think I read that he'd only missed one game this season in our back four (someone will now correct me on this !!!) and therein lies part of the problem for me.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Agreed with the above but think Herman will stay[/quote]

Going on a "free" to the Hamsters apparently. Would make sense, as Curbs was known to be interested in the Jan. transfer window and he would be one of the higher earners. There would be little value in us keeping him based on his wages and how much longer his legs would last.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]As does paying 3.75 million for Gary Rowett when you know his knees are shot......

......or 2.5 million for Jeffers who was never going to fit in.....

What you have to remember is that these are the TOTAL worth of the deal and both had various appearance clauses in them.

Take the Jeffers deal for instance. We paid £500k up front and little else
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]As does paying 3.75 million for Gary Rowett when you know his knees are shot......

......or 2.5 million for Jeffers who was never going to fit in.....

What you have to remember is that these are the TOTAL worth of the deal and both had various appearance clauses in them.

Take the Jeffers deal for instance. We paid £500k up front and little else

Total fee paid for Rowett worked out at about £350K plus his wages of course. Shame as was a cracking player and captain
  • Options
    Couldn't see HH joining West Ham to be honest, with McCartney and Konchesky already there, and Collins, Gabbidon, Rio jr and Upson competing for positions at Centre Half. Is HH out of contract this summer?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Couldn't see HH joining West Ham to be honest, with McCartney and Konchesky already there, and Collins, Gabbidon, Rio jr and Upson competing for positions at Centre Half. Is HH out of contract this summer?[/quote]

He'll be decent cover for them especially at LB - Konch will be gone and one or two more may well be out the door at Upton Park as Curbs buils "his" team.
  • Options
    i wouldn't bet against Konchesky coming back - Pardew rates him highly
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]i wouldn't bet against Konchesky coming back - Pardew rates him highly

Good shout! Straight swap? ;-)

Whilst Konch's positional play is not good enough for the PL it should be more than good enough for the CCC and his left foot at set pices and crossing would be a real threat.
  • Options
    I think Koncheskys reception at the Valley since he left would make it a non starter. Would love to see it though.
  • Options
    I liked Konch while he was here and it was a shame he went because he was actually doing rather well in the centre of midfield.

I do not like him at all anymore and I will be disappointed if he ends up back here.
  • Options
    i don't think that konch would come to us,would not be good for his england career.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeakeysRocket[/cite]i don't think that konch would come to us,would not be good for his england career.
    England career!!! Lol that is a good one!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was thinking of potential signings the other day came of with

Kevin Nicholls wanted back to Luton gone down might be happy with a return south

Eastwood as mentioned

If forest dont go up Tyson bags of pace

mullins as earlier mentioned
  • Options
    I was thinking of Nicholls but he hasn't set the world alight at Leeds
  • Options
    Been injured got fit and told them he wanted back to Luton thus did not play again
  • Options
    OK Henry, I stand corrected on the Rowett fee and the Jeffers fee structure, apologies.

Losing Rowett was a massive blow because he really looked like a quality centre-half and a proper leader.

However, lets not forget that its not just transfer fees that are the issue when signing "big name" players, Jeffers and Rowett (amongst others) would have cost a fortune in wages as well. As did Euell when he sat on his arse for two years after his row with Curbs.
  • Options
    Jeffers was stalled on 24 appearances on purpose due to fee increase if I remeber rightly.

The thing is boys and girls, in the last few season's we have never really been able to build up a solid squad. With the expection of Bent (D) and the hearts of some others, who else can you really say has added solididy and skill to our Squad. Bring back the days of Parker, Jensen, Di Canio, even Mills.

A lot of our team this season has not be prem class - a lot down to Dowie over paying for some old, middle of the road players, but thats history now.

Then the squad is going to get even more depleated because we are now relegated. I really hope some of the young guns get a go if they have progressed well this season (Walton, Gislason, Ashton, Youga, John, Walker ..etc). I really hope we buy some solid players as well.

Some players will leave, but there will be ones that stay cos they won't be able to play anywhere else (Frisbie springs to mind!). Its about time we had a proper rebuild, but things will prob get worse before they get better.

Sorry if this post has gone off direction a bit!
  • Options
    Although it's been said by Henry that Pardew won't have anything close to 14m to spend is there a chance that the board might gamble a bit this season like Birmingham did for example by re-investing all the money they got from player sales straight back into the side. Let's be honest our best chance of going up is surely at the first attempt as teams that come down and don't go straight back up, invariably end up staying there or falling further, Coventry, Leicester, Norwich, Palace, Leeds, Sheff Weds etc.
  • Options
    Ormiston - is the glass half empty or half full? We finished with mid-table form some people are focussed on the table and forgetting that Pardew has won half the battle.

On the finances, the parachute + Darren Bent money covers our costs but loans from the top half of the Prem are not unreasonable. So adjusting your edit of the team:

No keeper - Agreed - Carson back or perhaps Kiely (NOT Kiraly thanks)

A solid defence, admittedly. Agreed

No quality centre midfielders and lighweight wingers Disagree - we have the makings of a decent midfield Romm gone but Kish and Holland in the middle + Reid + Thomas + ambrose will have the combined pace and quality to scare the championship defences + Song or someone else on loan?

Marcus Bent and Lisbie up front. - Enough said !!! Loans / unknowns maybe Darren Bent for a year
  • Options
    What is funny is no one has mentioned Faye (probably cos he's so shiiite), no doubt we will be lumbered with him - please get rid if possible Pards!
  • Options
    Every year its the same.

I individually like all these Midfield players, but why will they work so well just becasue it is in the Championship?

They haven;t panned out as well as we all thought - on paper look great, but reality shows a different thing!
    BTW, is Walton competent as DM?
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Each season we should be [b]trying[/b] to build and progress as a club. We should have our sights set higher than being a average team with one star player that is likely to get poached.

A season or 2 ago, I would say we were level'ish' with spurs and Wet Spam, but looking at the squad's as of today, they have pulled miles ahead of us. Yes, I know money is the bigeest factor, but the last 4/5 season it feels like we are going backwards slightly -anyone else feel like this?

I really am not a negitive person, guess Im just showing my frustration! Want some fresh blood who will have some love for our Team! I honestly DO NOT think we are a Championship side like a lot of rivals say (7 years straight proves that), but we need to progress (either if they are pigeon steps) as a team and strive forward.
    Sorry for long posts - i know they can be boring to read! :-)