Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who goes who stays

13»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]OK Henry, I stand corrected on the Rowett fee and the Jeffers fee structure, apologies.

Losing Rowett was a massive blow because he really looked like a quality centre-half and a proper leader.

However, lets not forget that its not just transfer fees that are the issue when signing "big name" players, Jeffers and Rowett (amongst others) would have cost a fortune in wages as well. As did Euell when he sat on his arse for two years after his row with Curbs.

I did mention "plus wages" which for a player on £10k per week = £0.5m a year. I don't know how much but we would have got something back on the insurance on Rowett, Pringle, Holmes. Rowett and a few others were gambles as we knew that they were liable to break down. Rowett did work out but Mendonca did. Swings and roundabouts and I think you could find as many if not more examples at other clubs.

For whatever reason Curbs was reluctant to move players on or to let kids go out on loan but that was three managers ago! Pardew seems to want to work with a smaller core squad, hence outing Sorondo, Pouso etc and sending a lot of kids and others out on loan. There is an obvious risk that a smaller squad, while easier to work with and motivate, runs the risk of injuries leaving it short.

I'm told that Wright and Arter travelled with the squad to Ewood so there is hope that younger players will get more of a chance
  • Options
    i wouldn't be too suprised to see Mullens and Harewood arrive here.
  • Options
    Would cost £5m for the two. Depends how much there is to spend?
  • Options
    The problem with Mullins and Harewood would be wages, they would have to take a big pay cut to come down unless we were willing to take a risk on paying them Prem wages on the gamble they would get us promoted. More likely to sign someone like Etherington and possibly Sheringham....
  • Options
    I don't know but would guess that like Pardew a lot of the players can an expect a serious cut in wages now they are back being premiership players, so maybe M Bent will not now be on £25K a week but 15K or 12.5K I don't know but it has been metioned before....
  • Options
    Dudek for a keeper anyone???
  • Options
    Etherington would be a quality signing for a Championship side. Not quite a Premiership quality player, but an excellent Championship winger,
  • Options
    This is no myth. Steve Brown himself told us all at a City Addicks meeting that this did actually happen. Mind you, Steve had had a few beers by then!!

He also mentioned it during a radio commentary (when we played Reading).

Don't forget we have the Danish winger to come in with whom we've signed a pre-contract agreement.

We need an experienced keeper in case Randolph doesn't work out, Richard Wright (Everton) is looking to move to Ipswich, he'd be an ideal replacement for Carson.

In defense we have the players, I can't see Thatcher wanting to move, at 32/33 CCC is about his level now and he gives us that bit of steel that we need. I'd sign HH on a one year deal as cover at CB and LB. But with Elk, Diawara, Gibbs and Boughera we shouldn't need him.

Midfield looks weak - Hughes, Holland, the Danish winger, Thomas, Reid - who if fully fit will be a great player, maybe Jarvis (from Gillingham). We need a ball winning scrapper in there - Walton has proven himself at CCC level, alternatively Pardew might get Song back on loan and ZZ maybe too.

Upfront is where the problems lie...Darren Bent will score goals, but not if he goes, Dickson is unknown at this level, he may work out ok, he may not. That leaves Marcus Bent and Lisbie...
  • Options
    This is no myth. Steve Brown himself told us all at a City Addicks meeting that this did actually happen. Mind you, Steve had had a few beers by then!!

++++++++++++++++++++

Every time someonne brings this up about Brownie counselling Curbs I get visions of Curbs saying, "Nah, Brownie, Sidwell's got no experience of league football, he's only played in the stiffs. Anyway, never mind about Sidwell, there's this bloke Hughes at Birmingham......"

This might end up as our biggest transfer faux pas of all time, alongside Ian Wright and Richard Gough.
  • Options
    Lisbie will be going.
    Diawara probably too (Portsmouth?)
    Holland and El Kak staying, and possibly Kish too.
    Lloyd Sam sees it as his big chance.
    The team that starts in CCC will be very, very different from last Monday's.
    Please let us find someone daft enough to take Faye and Big Bent off our hands...