Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Away Support

Hello all - first time poster

I was one of the apathetic many until the Dublin tech conference tour de force got published/broadcast. At that point for the first time it was clear that the intentions of this regime are not in our best interests. I think I have reasonable pedigree - went to the last game at the old Valley as a 14 year old, attended through the Selhurst years, was one of the 2-3k at St Andrews, leafleted for the Valley Party, am fortunate enough to buy a season ticket most years even though my attendance has for some time been poor due to young family and poor fare. So my point is....

Our away support has always been utter shite. Even in the Prem, at London grounds when the novelty was gone, we sometimes didn't sell out. I think poor away attendance is for a large part a self perpetuating issue - people don't go because they know only a hard core few go so to go is a chore more than a real fun day/night out with a HUGE number of fellow fans. Our standard away support is not a statement of brilliant support, merely a sign of a smaller London club with a largely passive support. And respect to those that do go and I am guilty as the next person.

Now, in adversity we seem to have found energy in the first time in many many years. So - and now I honestly do get to my point!...

Is now not the time to reinvent out supporter profile and get a reputation for having a huge and passionate away support? The catalyst for building such momentum would need to be the great organisers from this site. If we took 2000 to every away game wherever and whenever (I appreciate it isn't cheap but we supposedly still have 15k season ticket holders..) and made a shite load of noisy pro team but aggressive anti regime noise, then I think this would have the double impact of lifting the team but also ramping up pressure on the regime during EVERY game. This would benefit in multiple ways - not least in changing our reputation from nice middle class anoraks to fans to be properly respected. For the first time in years I would be in for a mid week hack up to Huddersfield if I knew we would sell out.

I have no idea whether it is possible (without club driven Rotherham style freebies) to generate such a movement. But if it is I think it would be a great line of attack. Problem is, how do you get it going without some kind of embarrassing Palarse Ultras style gimmick?

Comments

• Options
    I don't think we can engineer bigger support over a sustained period. Too many factors involved, most of which have been covered on here from so many angles already- which isn't to say it won't improve ever, or isn't worth discussing of course- but i can think of no better application of the phrase 'it is what it is', than to Charlton's away support.
    Welcome to the forum BTW, :)
  • Options

I was one of the apathetic many until the Dublin tech conference tour de force got published/broadcast. At that point for the first time it was clear that the intentions of this regime are not in our best interests. I think I have reasonable pedigree - went to the last game at the old Valley as a 14 year old, attended through the Selhurst years, was one of the 2-3k at St Andrews, leafleted for the Valley Party, am fortunate enough to buy a season ticket most years even though my attendance has for some time been poor due to young family and poor fare. So my point is....

Our away support has always been utter shite. Even in the Prem, at London grounds when the novelty was gone, we sometimes didn't sell out. I think poor away attendance is for a large part a self perpetuating issue - people don't go because they know only a hard core few go so to go is a chore more than a real fun day/night out with a HUGE number of fellow fans. Our standard away support is not a statement of brilliant support, merely a sign of a smaller London club with a largely passive support. And respect to those that do go and I am guilty as the next person.

Now, in adversity we seem to have found energy in the first time in many many years. So - and now I honestly do get to my point!...

Is now not the time to reinvent out supporter profile and get a reputation for having a huge and passionate away support? The catalyst for building such momentum would need to be the great organisers from this site. If we took 2000 to every away game wherever and whenever (I appreciate it isn't cheap but we supposedly still have 15k season ticket holders..) and made a shite load of noisy pro team but aggressive anti regime noise, then I think this would have the double impact of lifting the team but also ramping up pressure on the regime during EVERY game. This would benefit in multiple ways - not least in changing our reputation from nice middle class anoraks to fans to be properly respected. For the first time in years I would be in for a mid week hack up to Huddersfield if I knew we would sell out.

I have no idea whether it is possible (without club driven Rotherham style freebies) to generate such a movement. But if it is I think it would be a great line of attack. Problem is, how do you get it going without some kind of embarrassing Palarse Ultras style gimmick?

You for for real! Go do one
  • Options

Wind up

I know mate
  • Options
    Disgustedofdulwich, total fail.

Middle class anoraks is a slight giveaway

Enjoy school tomorrow
  • Options

Millwall or palice?
  • Options
    "our away support have been utter shite"

This is a wind up, or else why say this now when everyone who goes to away games deserves a medal or free therapy.
  • Options
    Bit pointless shouting about the regime at away games when none of them are there anyway!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2016
    You always sell out very quickly for your cup finals at the Den. One of the reasons those games are some of our biggest. You bring more than palace, gillingham, and even West Ham on occasions.
  • Options

You always sell out very quickly for your cup finals at the Den. One of the reasons those games are some of our biggest. You bring more than palace, filling jam, and even West Ham on occasions.

West ham would sell your ground out if they were allowed the allocation.
  • Options
    "Are you @oohaahmortimer in disguise........are you..."
    You get the jest.....
  • Options

You always sell out very quickly for your cup finals at the Den. One of the reasons those games are some of our biggest. You bring more than palace, filling jam, and even West Ham on occasions.

Yeah, course, because you're an expert on Millwall/West Ham aren't you? One year they was about 100 short of selling out of their away allocation. Hard to believe I know but as one of their well known fans said when interviewed, Millwall away for West Ham really is just for the hardcore. Same as for us when we go over there. Only game I wouldnt take my kids to.
  • Options
    Away support is awful but we have bigger problems at present!
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Yeah, course, because you're an expert on Millwall/West Ham aren't you? One year they was about 100 short of selling out of their away allocation. Hard to believe I know but as one of their well known fans said when interviewed, Millwall away for West Ham really is just for the hardcore. Same as for us when we go over there. Only game I wouldnt take my kids to.
    Not having that. West Ham's away support is up there with the best. They just sold out 3000 at anfield in the cup in 3 days. Their hardcore is probably more than your average home attendance.

You think they wouldn't sell as many as you would give them? Nonsense.
  • Options
    I think what the OP is getting at is that this current fervour could have the positive side-effect of better away followings. Didn't Brighton develop their away culture while they were playing in Gillingham?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Uboat said:

I think what the OP is getting at is that this current fervour could have the positive side-effect of better away followings. Didn't Brighton develop their away culture while they were playing in Gillingham?

Correct, as verified by a former, Brighton supporting, work colleague.
  • Options

Not having that. West Ham's away support is up there with the best. They just sold out 3000 at anfield in the cup in 3 days. Their hardcore is probably more than your average home attendance.

20th November 2004 they was given the top tier only at our place, which holds 2300. They bought 1994. Here's the figures...

http://www.millwall-history.org.uk/Millwall-Stats04-05.htm

I was there. You could see at least a couple of hundred empty seats in the upper tier.

• Options
    Uboat said:

Think that came from all the years that they was at the Withdean and there was only room for about 5000 home fans, so all the fans who couldn't get in to the home games travelled. Their away support was superb during that period. Always filled the upper tier at the den.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree. A spike in away support would be hugely beneficial IMO
  • Options

20th November 2004 they was given the top tier only at our place, which holds 2300. They bought 1994. Here's the figures...

I was there. You could see at least a couple of hundred empty seats in the upper tier.

Leeds only had the upper tier that season too and they bought more than west ham.

• Options
    edited January 2016

Leeds only had the upper tier that season too and they bought more than west ham.

So they didn't sell out in 2011?

Go on a west ham forum and ask them if they would sell out. I don't need to speak for them.
  • Options

Go on a west ham forum and ask them if they would sell out. I don't need to speak for them.
    Who's talking about 2011? I said one year they didn't sell out, you said that was nonsense so I put up a link to prove it.
    Of course most of the time they would sell out, but there has been the odd occasion when they haven't.

I tell you what is nonsense, saying they'd sell out our whole ground if given the opportunity. That's nonsense.

• Options

Who's talking about 2011? I said one year they didn't sell out, you said that was nonsense so I put up a link to prove it.
    Of course most of the time they would sell out, but there has been the odd occasion when they haven't.

I tell you what is nonsense, saying they'd sell out our whole ground if given the opportunity. That's nonsense.

How many spanners at Chesterfield yesterday?
  • Options

How many spanners at Chesterfield yesterday?

• Options

but more importantly..........who fucking cares.
  • Options
    I've had very similar thoughts as the OP lately and as I won't be spending any more money at the Valley until the Belgians are out, it's away games only the foreseeable future.
  • Options

An exaggeration perhaps but not nonsense. To say only West Ham hardcore go Millwall is effing hilarious.