Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Did the protest go a bit quiet?

This is my first post so please be gentle as I may be slightly controversial.

First and foremost thank you so much to all those putting in the huge efforts to keep momentum going on getting Roland out. Although I was a season ticket holder in the late eighties - early nineties circumstances led me away from the Valley and I became a two game a season fan. I went to the protest after the Forest game (my first trip to the Valley for two years) and on Saturday I went to the game and the protest. Although this regime has driven many away it has infact dragged me back to stand up for what I believe is right.

The Forest protest felt amazing. Maybe nostalgia on my part. I hadn't bern to the Valley for a while and it felt like Charlton fans were so galvanised. We sang, we shouted and after one hour Airman Brown clapped his hands to signal the end of the protest and if there were 2000 fans there at 5pm it felt like 1900 were still there at 6pm. We then left en masse.

After the Blackburn game it felt like the protest was much bigger but by 5:30 it felt like many had already left. I left at 6 and it felt like there was just a couple of hundred there, some of them more interested in hugging Jim Davidson.

Please please tell me I am wrong but it felt like it did not have the same impact as the Forest protest despite all the positivity coming through the media.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2016
    It had a different impact I think - more media attention.
  • Options
    It was a great turnout, made me proud to know we are in this together. And to the people who were standing about handing flyers and stickers out - salute you. Keep up the hard work!
  • Options
    it wouldn't have helped whenever some chants were started people (myself included) were booing and going SHHHHHHHHHH

but i think we have to keep it clean so it is a fair price to pay.

Also the bigger the crowd the quicker the chants seem to be, thus it all gets a bit repetitive.

Regardless the length or the noise level, it is the number of people that they notice in the media.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    It did fell a bit flatter but dont think it really matters and was to be expected.

This is going to be a long fight and we need to be persistent. As HI mentions above it is working, it is causing problems and we need to keep going and show we are not going away, this is just the start we are going to make it even more harder to manage and we will bring you down.

The outside Demo are just 1 of many ways we will get at them I am sure.

• Options
    Forest was definitely more vocal, non-stop chanting, I think a tepid game and the fact that the board-room was curtained off and Katrien not really in sight made a bit of a difference as well.

Good numbers though and it still got media attention, we need to keep it up. Same again next time, more verbals and hopefully a tougher "flash protest".
  • Options
    I think it made its point – Had we seen KM or RM it would have gone on - they can’t hide away forever.
  • Options
    I think it did register I read both The Mail and The People on Sunday and both match reports mentioed the protest so it is getting media attention.
  • Options
    It's a good point that varied protests are necessary. The understanding of how bad KM and RD are for the club is spreading and this must continue. The boycotting of food, merchandising etc a good idea but plenty are still queuing for burgers, chips, drinks. I hope it is not because they do not care but have not yet got the message.
    Media cover is essential and appears to be good. Maybe protests before the game, during the game, but these are for media only they have no direct effect.
    The renewal time for season tickets will be crucial and a campaign must target non renewal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I was a bit annoyed that there were a small number wearing black and white scarfs queuing for food. Instant Jackpot was only £233 when you would expect around 800 plus for a Saturday. If revenues decreased by over two thirds, that is a significant issue if it continues!
  • Options
    I only stayed about 15 mins, it felt a bit same old, with the same songs as last time etc. It 's difficult to come up with different ideas but I thought the 12 o'clock announcement was very good and kept the club guessing so well done CARD.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    How about we get an amp and an opera singer for the next one. Should get us all started and that would make the news. Not sure what the costs would be, but probably not that high if we find a busker singer!
  • Options
    ive got an amp but there is no way I'm dragging it down to the valley. we're going to have to hire some roadies or something
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    A drummer, song sheets, Dancing girls for the men and the dream boys for the Ladies, jugglers, fire eaters, A man on stilts or Big Mak.
    Two whistlers, fancy dress,( dressed as weird as possible)
    Teas and coffees, (for the non scabs like me who hadn't had a drink for 5 hours) More loud hailers.
    Garath Malone and The Greenwich and Lewisham hospital trust choir, Boris Johnson, Danny Kelly, Adrian Durham, Fletch and Sav.
    Acapella choir made up from every London club except Palace as their voice would be too high, singing Valley floyd road and when i was young.
    Seb Lewis doing the worm, someone to be shot out of a cannon dressed in B+ W, Free waffles, and last and not least ? Dynamo ?

who could make Roland and Katrien disappear.
  • Options
    I think, as Tom Lehrer mentioned in his intro to Oedipus Rex (his theme song for same), it's important fir the people to have a tune they can hum...

A couple of anti-regime songs (verses) would be good, if only we could find some talented Charlton fans....
  • Options
    The loud hailer was excellent. It informed the crowd about certain issues (Jimmy Seed flats) which many would not be aware of if they are not involved with social media and forums.

I think same old same old and repetition works. Keep it loud right until the end. We need to really annoy those inside the bunker. The smoke bombs were good too. Gave it a bit more menace without there actually being any menace UNTIL SOMEONE THREW ONE. (NOT GOOD).

The word is definitely getting out there. I've lost count of the number of non footballing people who have asked me about it.

Let's keep it going.
  • Options
    Maybe we could do a 4.30 flash mob. A number of customers dotted around the ground could unfurl banners with the instructions on...
  • Options

25May98 said:

The loud hailer was excellent. It informed the crowd about certain issues (Jimmy Seed flats) which many would not be aware of if they are not involved with social media and forums.

I think same old same old and repetition works. Keep it loud right until the end. We need to really annoy those inside the bunker. The smoke bombs were good too. Gave it a bit more menace without there actually being any menace UNTIL SOMEONE THREW ONE. (NOT GOOD).

The word is definitely getting out there. I've lost count of the number of non footballing people who have asked me about it.

Let's keep it going.

Would have been even better if the idiot holding it had discovered the volume control . . .
    I was surprised to see you resorting to the use of one Airman, you've never previously had a problem projecting your voice :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    25May98 said:

Let's keep it going.

The loud hailer was good. However, I don't understand some of the abuse shouted direct to Airman during some of his comments. It was only 1 or 2 blokes close to where I was standing but I couldn't fathom that out at all !
  • Options
    It did certainty fizzle a bit after half hour and the songs weren't as constant but the point was definitely made. Numbers were bigger this time too.

The blinds were down and the cowards hiding even more than last time which may have quietened it down. But again the whole objective was achieved and the message was clearly delivered.
  • Options
    To be honest, in the end it's not the atmosphere that gets pasted into articles and newspaper pieces, it's the pictures of hundreds of fans, so as long as the numbers stay up the media will keep putting pressure on the board, which can only be a good thing
  • Options

25May98 said:

Let's keep it going.

The loud hailer was good. However, I don't understand some of the abuse shouted direct to Airman during some of his comments. It was only 1 or 2 blokes close to where I was standing but I couldn't fathom that out at all !
    There was one bloke about 10 yards to the left of Airman who clearly despised him and was shouting out about him being bitter because he had been sacked. Couldn't hear the rest of his rant.
  • Options
    Saturday's protest was about twice as large as the Forest one, but the problem was that it was not as concentrated. For the initial gathering, we all sang and shouted in a similar way but the anti-Belgian songs were muted, and we concentrated on those in the board room who were visible. This weekend, there was much more anti-Belgian stuff sung, lots of swearing, and sexist songs for KM, plus the smoke bombs, all of which (IMO) meant that some of those with kids withdrew. There was always the chance that someone would rush the main doors and, with hefty security visible, it could all kick off at any time, and some others left due to this I think.

I hate to say it but the smoke, swearing, sexist comments, and anti-Belgian chants only give RD and KM more ammunition to fight us - if we keep it clean (and they carry on the dirty fight) we will win the media battle and have victory sooner.
  • Options

25May98 said:

Let's keep it going.

There was one bloke about 10 yards to the left of Airman who clearly despised him and was shouting out about him being bitter because he had been sacked. Couldn't hear the rest of his rant.
    Strange that someone at the protest so you would assume felt the common feeling that owners are rotten would spend time shouting down someone who is also there and helping direct.

We sure it was not PL54
  • Options
    edited January 2016
  • Options
    PL54 said:

25May98 said:

Let's keep it going.

Strange that someone at the protest so you would assume felt the common feeling that owners are rotten would spend time shouting down someone who is also there and helping direct.

We sure it was not PL54
    It was not - I was in The Fans' Bar
    Not purchasing anything though I assume (:
  • Options

PL54 said:

25May98 said:

Let's keep it going.

We sure it was not PL54
    It was not - I was in The Fans' Bar
    Not purchasing anything though I assume (:
    I squeezed a couple in half time in fairness so just one (might have been 2) and then train to LB.