Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Netflix

Comments

• Options
    Just put it on, and then chill......it's what all the crazy kids are doing these days apparently.
  • Options

EastStand said:

Whaaaa? How has noone mentioned The Bridge?

Great Nordic cop drama. It's in Swedish/Danish but as long as you're aren't one of those lazy feckers who "doesn't like subtitles" it's well worth a watch. Saga Noren is my hero.

Is The Killing, the US show, a remake of The Bridge? I'm a big fan of The Killing but haven't watched the original Danish one.
    No, the Killing is another show.
    They both have the original Nordic versions, and copy US versions though.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

EastStand said:

Great Nordic cop drama. It's in Swedish/Danish but as long as you're aren't one of those lazy feckers who "doesn't like subtitles" it's well worth a watch. Saga Noren is my hero.

Is The Killing, the US show, a remake of The Bridge? I'm a big fan of The Killing but haven't watched the original Danish one.
    Sorry I got the two mixed up. Now I remember when I finished The Killing I looked for similar shows and the title The Bridge kept coming up.
  • Options
    Decided to give Narcos a go. 3 episodes in & I'm hooked!
  • Options

EastStand said:

EastStand said:

Sorry I got the two mixed up. Now I remember when I finished The Killing I looked for similar shows and the title The Bridge kept coming up.
    The US 'The Killing' was originally a remake of the danish 'The Killing', but I think it ended up going off in something of it's own direction, especially as there are more seasons of the US version. I've only watched the Danish version which is one of my all time favourite shows, but Mrs E_A has watched them both and says the US one was good but the Danish one was better.

If you're okay with English subtitles then 'The Bridge' is a must watch. Saga Noren rocks!
  • Options

EastStand said:

EastStand said:

The US 'The Killing' was originally a remake of the danish 'The Killing', but I think it ended up going off in something of it's own direction, especially as there are more seasons of the US version. I've only watched the Danish version which is one of my all time favourite shows, but Mrs E_A has watched them both and says the US one was good but the Danish one was better.

If you're okay with English subtitles then 'The Bridge' is a must watch. Saga Noren rocks!
    I'm totally okay with English subtitles. I've watched French and Swedish movies with English subtitles before. I'll give it a go in the coming holiday.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Good for you Jessie, I know plenty of English people who find subtitles too much like hard work.
  • Options
    I grew up watching American movies with Chinese subtitles so they're never a problem for me! :wink:
  • Options
    Just available in Thailand and sadly many of these recommendations aren't on the list for one reason or another. On a free trial right now but will renew for a while. Only seven pounds a month here for HD.
  • Options

Just available in Thailand and sadly many of these recommendations aren't on the list for one reason or another. On a free trial right now but will renew for a while. Only seven pounds a month here for HD.

A Netflix account is worldwide. A simple plug-in for your internet browser, like hola, changes the country you are browsing from. All you have to do is download it, log in to your account and select the your flag of your chosen country.

Due to the different distribution deals of different countries, you can get pretty much any content in the world except HBO and Amazon originals. Makes your 7 quid stretch even further.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

A Netflix account is worldwide. A simple plug-in for your internet browser, like hola, changes the country you are browsing from. All you have to do is download it, log in to your account and select the your flag of your chosen country.

Due to the different distribution deals of different countries, you can get pretty much any content in the world except HBO and Amazon originals. Makes your 7 quid stretch even further.

I'll give hola a try but proxies and VPNs generally cause me to lose too much bandwidth to make good streaming difficult. I'll report back.
  • Options

Hola isn't quite as brilliant as it seems, and I would advise against recommending it to people who don't understand how it works. I was told this on Reddit a while back:

"Be aware that Hola will use you as a exit node or as an intermediate node if you're not paying for premium. If somebody does something malicious and you're the exit node then you may be liable for it depending on your country of residence. If you're just an intermediate node in their P2P network then you'll have some of your upstream/downstream used up by Hola when it is running."

Source and further reading.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    JiMMy 85 said:

Hola isn't quite as brilliant as it seems, and I would advise against recommending it to people who don't understand how it works. I was told this on Reddit a while back:

"Be aware that Hola will use you as a exit node or as an intermediate node if you're not paying for premium. If somebody does something malicious and you're the exit node then you may be liable for it depending on your country of residence. If you're just an intermediate node in their P2P network then you'll have some of your upstream/downstream used up by Hola when it is running."

Fair enough, didn't know about the exit node part. Usage of your upstream/downstream will not affect most people due to the speeds most receive these days. Are you aware of any alternatives that you would recommend?

Also I believe an ip adress has never been used in a p2p prosecution due their insecure nature. Hence the scare letters from copyright lawyers.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Are you aware of any alternatives that you would recommend?

Not really - I work for the movie team that's getting ripped off the most!

Presumably something you pay for would be more secure, Hola Premium doesn't do the node thing.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Presumably something you pay for would be more secure, Hola Premium doesn't do the node thing.
    Not having a go, but when you say getting ripped off, we do pay for Netflix and it is a worldwide account. Nothing illegal in changing your IP address or using a proxy. I'm also right in thinking that distribution companies split the rights by country to maximise profit, rather than make it, after a bidding process. I feel bit ripped off having to pay more than someone half way round the world to watch the same movie. Especially as digital distribution has removed most real costs. I think we might be on different sides of the fence on this one fella!
  • Options
    Sorry guys - thought the whole point of this thread was that they are blocking VPNs etc so will only be able to watch your own country version of Netflix
  • Options
    jams said:

Sorry guys - thought the whole point of this thread was that they are blocking VPNs etc so will only be able to watch your own country version of Netflix

Pretty sure you're right. Netflix completely out of the blue suddenly opened up in dozens of new countries about three weeks ago at around the same time the VPN crackdown was announced. No coincidence there, methinks. Still plenty of decent stuff to watch and so far, for Thailand anyway, I have been impressed with the complete lack of buffering and stuttering. Early days though!
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    jams said:

It will be pretty hard to do apparently and the OP was asking for recommended content. But didn't realise they had started to block VPN's already.

theguardian.com/media/2016/jan/19/doubts-cast-on-netflix-plan-to-stop-use-of-vpns-to-get-around-regional-blocking
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Not having a go, but when you say getting ripped off, we do pay for Netflix and it is a worldwide account. Nothing illegal in changing your IP address or using a proxy. I'm also right in thinking that distribution companies split the rights by country to maximise profit, rather than make it, after a bidding process. I feel bit ripped off having to pay more than someone half way round the world to watch the same movie. Especially as digital distribution has removed most real costs. I think we might be on different sides of the fence on this one fella!
    Well most of that is not strictly true. Check the Ts and Cs, patricilarly 4.3 and 4.5.

https://help.netflix.com/legal/termsofuse

You haven't paid to watch content that's available in the US and have no legal right/ expectation to. Whether you agree with the system and feel ripped off is irrelevant.

But I don't blame the end user at all. It's so easy to circumvent the geographic security that I wholly blame Netflix for making it so easy. They've done bugger all to stop it from occurring, which is to be expected given that Sky absolutely trounce their studio contracts. I'm surprised Sky haven't kicked up more of a fuss with the studios, there's something murky there that I can't put my finger on.

Sticking it to the man, and outfoxing sky, I can't argue with that. But I work with a lot of - very dedicated - people whose performance is primarily judged on viewing figures, so when we discover we're losing eyeballs to Netflix illegally, well that's frustrating for us.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Well most of that is not strictly true. Check the Ts and Cs, patricilarly 4.3 and 4.5.

https://help.netflix.com/legal/termsofuse

You haven't paid to watch content that's available in the US and have no legal right/ expectation to. Whether you agree with the system and feel ripped off is irrelevant.

But I don't blame the end user at all. It's so easy to circumvent the geographic security that I wholly blame Netflix for making it so easy. They've done bugger all to stop it from occurring, which is to be expected given that Sky absolutely trounce their studio contracts. I'm surprised Sky haven't kicked up more of a fuss with the studios, there's something murky there that I can't put my finger on.

Sticking it to the man, and outfoxing sky, I can't argue with that. But I work with a lot of - very dedicated - people whose performance is primarily judged on viewing figures, so when we discover we're losing eyeballs to Netflix illegally, well that's frustrating for us.
    I take your point of view and frustration, I am also frustrated with the system.

4.3 has language so broad you could drive a bus through it. All it really says is you have to mostly use your account in the country you purchased it, which I do. 4.5 is more comprehensive and I am probably breaking the t's and c's. But I do have a legal right and expectation, if I am in the US, to watch US content with a British account. It is a worldwide account. But I do agree that Netflix have deliberately courted this. I'm also not doing anything illegal, just breaking service conditions.

As you alluded to, sky has a near monopoly on bidding in this country. But no government will ever challenge that. In fact this one seems intent on financially hampering sky's only real rival. Just as a studio will use international boundaries to maximise profits and pay lower taxes, why shouldn't as I, as a consumer, be able to ignore physical limitations.

But this is getting a bit off topic, I think we have both fought for our respective corners. I'll also add I generally enjoy your insights as a long time lurker.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still don't understand why anyone is debating this when every single thing available on all Netflix in all countries plus all HBO stuff and all Amazon prime stuff and movies and sports and cartoons and on and on and on is available for free on Kodi yet people still want to pay for it
  • Options

I'll give hola a try but proxies and VPNs generally cause me to lose too much bandwidth to make good streaming difficult. I'll report back.
    I use Astrill and rarely have problems with streaming, even with my 1980’s internet.

Most VPNs are trash, you've got to pay for a decent one.
  • Options

jams said:

Pretty sure you're right. Netflix completely out of the blue suddenly opened up in dozens of new countries about three weeks ago at around the same time the VPN crackdown was announced. No coincidence there, methinks. Still plenty of decent stuff to watch and so far, for Thailand anyway, I have been impressed with the complete lack of buffering and stuttering. Early days though!

jams said:

It will be pretty hard to do apparently and the OP was asking for recommended content. But didn't realise they had started to block VPN's already.

theguardian.com/media/2016/jan/19/doubts-cast-on-netflix-plan-to-stop-use-of-vpns-to-get-around-regional-blocking
    Absolutely, big fan of Netflix, the biggest problem I have had is we spend so long trying to decide what to watch! It has got a lot better recently imo with regards to the range of content (in the U.K. At least) and their own programmes are usually blinding.

I'm also amazed it's taken so long for them to crackdown - get the feeling they must have fought off pressure on that for a long time. I did read once that they have an unbelievable source of data from the user base in that they can see who pauses what when and more complicated viewing habits that obviously aren't available to them through normal tv. I wonder if they didn't crackdown to exploit this in some way
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Still don't understand why anyone is debating this when every single thing available on all Netflix in all countries plus all HBO stuff and all Amazon prime stuff and movies and sports and cartoons and on and on and on is available for free on Kodi yet people still want to pay for it

As I said earlier, I don't mind the DNS or VPN thing for getting a bit of extra content, but Kodi is outright theft.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

buckshee said:

As I said earlier, I don't mind the DNS or VPN thing for getting a bit of extra content, but Kodi is outright theft.
    Not in the eyes of the law it ain't.
  • Options
    What an appropriate name you have, Buckshee. What are you going to watch or listen to when no one can afford to make movies or music because of free viewing/listening? I wonder how you'd feel if you were required to work buckshee.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

JiMMy 85 said:

buckshee said:

How did you come to that conclusion?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

buckshee said:

JiMMy 85 said:

buckshee said:

How did you come to that conclusion?
    http://www.fierceenterprisecommunications.com/story/viewing-streamed-content-not-copyright-infringement-eu-court-rules/2014-06-09
  • Options
    I don't think that source is a very good back up for your point.