Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cancer I hate you

Comments

• Options
    Sorry to hear that CE, it's a horrible illness that robs many a life.

RIP Patrick
  • Options

DA9 said:

commiserations @Covered End to losing a friend and good neighbour .. as you know I am a survivor, but cancer always leaves scars both mental and physical ..
    nowadays early diagnosis is available for many (but NOT all) cancers and anyone should seek medical advice if they have even the slightest suspicion that they might have a cancer ..
    the internet is packed with advice on spotting all types and although there is often a thin line between hypochondria and genuine health concerns, always get checked out a s a p ..
    the chances of surviving cancer are improving every day .. that of course is no consolation to the family and friends of those who die from this awful disease .. RIP Patrick

I went last year for a check up, after noticing blood, thankfully nothing to worry about, but still took a hell of a lot to get rid of my male pride and embarrassment.
    you did the right thing .. this is a particularly male problem EMBARRASMENT,'I don't want a male doctor poking me about' .. f**k that, get it checked ..
    Too many 'macho' men think a good swear at the problem and a few pints or push ups will cure any disease which dares to attack their body .. they won't, medical intervention might
    It was a very pretty female Asian doctor who did it, other than the very camp assistant male nurse who had to be in the room due to protocol and regulations.
  • Options
    My old man died of it last year. :-(

At least we had some warning. My neighbour felt unwell for a week or so, went to hospital to discover he had advanced liver cancer and died within days.
  • Options
    I find this shit really scary.

Not just cancer, but dying in general.

That's not to say I'm scared of dying myself, couldn't care less about that, I'm here for a good time not a long time, but others.

I've never lost anyone close and really don't know how I would react.
  • Options
    Horrible horrible disease that turned my family on its head a few years back.

I don't think there will ever be a true cure for all cancers.
    I read a column from a lukeamia doctor saying we should concentrate on prevention and management rather than a cure and I tend to agree with him.
  • Options

My mum passed in October due to bowel cancer. She reached a fair age, but from diagnosis to her death was just shy of a month. Her decline during that period was truly shocking. As said by others, the sooner a cure is found the better. A hellish disease.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    My Dad had been a very heavy smoker (40 a day Players Navy Cut from his teens) but gave up in his early fifties when my niece was born because he didn't want to smoke near his grandchildren.

In November 2008 he was a bit under the weather and went to the doctors. He was diagnosed with lung cancer and had radiotherapy in December and early January. Unfortunately it spread really quickly and he died in early February of pneumonia. The saving grace was that he, and we (and I don't mean that selfishly), didn't suffer too much. We had time to say goodbye to him and he went peacefully with his family with him. He was nearly 75 and had had a full life and we were all relieved that his suffering had been brief.

Last week my partner's Dad died of the same disease at 80. He had been diagnosed the year before and was bed ridden since last October and became a shell of the man that I knew. It was pitiful and distressing to see him deteriorate and it was humiliating for him too.

If you are lucky you go quickly but if you're not it's a bastard disease.
  • Options
    Very sorry to hear that terrible news, RIP to your neighbour
  • Options

Had the finger diagnosis recently when I was unwell and mine was enlarged now have to go more regularly for a check everyone should go

I had a prostate exam and blood test only yesterday - prompted solely by another thread on here. nla is spot on. Don't let this nasty fucking disease catch you unawares.

I lost my husband in 2001 to NHL...widowed at 43, youngest child 9 yrs old Husband 51...

So sorry to hear that @CyrilDavies , what a devastating loss.

I suspect there's very few of us who have not been touched in some way by cancer. Various relatives of mine lost to it, but the most poignant for me was losing my little sister to leukaemia when she was just 7. That was 44 years ago but I still think of her very often, the terrible impact it had on my mum and dad, what she would have grown up to be. everyone will have their own version of that. It's heartbreaking.
  • Options
    Sorry about your neighbour CE. Most of us will know someone who has / had cancer. Lost my dad and grandad to it. My sister had leukaemia but has thankfully survived.
  • Options
    Lost two good mates to it last year, both in their mid fifties. Got another two battling it at the moment back in the UK, similar age, and now my friend and colleague Alfedo has been diagnosed and is waiting to hear the prognosis in the next week or so. Also in his mid fifties. Sorry to hear about Patrick CE, and to all the others who have lost friends, family and colleagues to this awful disease.
  • Options

Lost two good mates to it last year, both in their mid fifties. Got another two battling it at the moment back in the UK, similar age, and now my friend and colleague Alfedo has been diagnosed and is waiting to hear the prognosis in the next week or so. Also in his mid fifties. Sorry to hear about Patrick CE, and to all the others who have lost friends, family and colleagues to this awful disease.

Give Alfredo my best wishes P.
  • Options
    Will do D.
  • Options
    Rob said:

I've been through this over the past few years. 5 years ago my better half was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. This after a lifetime as a vegetarian. Also, she had never smoked and worked out on a regular basis. A young 54. The good news is that after a mastectomy, which devastated her at the time, a severe chemotheraphy regime and radiation, she is now clear of cancer. Of course she is monitored every 6 months because that's just the way cancer is, but fingers crossed.

Cancer, perhaps more than any other word in the developed world, has the power to make the blood run cold. It’s a ruthless killer, and virtually nothing can block its path once it has spread. Despite our technologies and advancements cancer remains a very real threat, a disease with no cure.

A huge positive that everyone should take heart from though is that cancer treatment is making huge breakthroughs. I live in the US and these breakthroughs are being driven by the research being done by the US pharmaceutical companies. This is their livelihood, and that's what drives them, but in this case US capitalism is really working.

They are coming up with treatments that 50 years ago would have seemed impossible. Cancers are being thrown into remission that had previously been dubbed “incurable.” Tools are being used in different ways with fantastic results. And turning to unlikely substances is helping in the war against malignant cells.

Cancer may still be terrifying — and perhaps it always will be — but the strides that are being made against it make a cure seem not only possible, but within reach.

How wicked cancer is, I think it's worth looking at the positives that are going on that we will all benefit from. It may be too late for some but there is real hope.

Great post, Rob.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nug said:

Just had results of my 1 year scan this week after having pancreatic cancer last year. I am one of the very lucky ones and am currently cancer free. Actually feel really good right now after chemo kicked the shit out of me last year. Will be monitored every 6 months for the next 10 years at least due to my age, but outlook is positive.

I wish everyone fighting this disease my best wishes.

Wonderful news, Nug
  • Options
    Sadly, my friends wife lost her battle yesterday.
  • Options
    So sorry to hear that DA9
  • Options
    Nug said:

Just had results of my 1 year scan this week after having pancreatic cancer last year. I am one of the very lucky ones and am currently cancer free. Actually feel really good right now after chemo kicked the shit out of me last year. Will be monitored every 6 months for the next 10 years at least due to my age, but outlook is positive.

I wish everyone fighting this disease my best wishes.

Good stuff Nug. Pleasing to here that.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Sadly, my friends wife lost her battle yesterday.

Terrible news. Sorry to hear this.
  • Options
    My father-in-law had a couple of falls, one on Christmas Day in the garden and one just after the New Year. He'd had a few pins and needles in his hands and feet over the last 6 months yet when he asked his GP, he was told it was nothing.

The wife called to get him a GP appt to get him checked out again yet it was a 3 week wait so she took matters into her own hands and took him to A&E.

When they checked him out, they were concerned enough to do a full body CT scan and discovered a mass in his brain. After a biopsy, we found out yesterday that he has a rare primary tumour which doesnt react well to chemo and the chemo would only give him a couple of months more. Prognosis is 3-6 months at best. Sadly, my brother-in-laws wife is due to give birth to his first grandchild in August.

My wife is a broken woman yet she somehow is holding it together, as is her Mum. She's amazing. Her whole family is amazing and her Dad is one of lifes good guys and he doesnt deserve this, none of them do. I cant comprehend what is happening, its been an absolute whirlwind 3 weeks or so.

Seeing him as he is now, his decline in 3 weeks is absolutely hearbreaking.

Apologies for my rambling essay. My family had luckily avoided the C bullet, until now.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that JBUK.

Thoughts with your family.
  • Options
    SO sorry to hear that devastating news , @JohnBoyUK.

Thoughts are with you & all the family but especially with your dear FIL.
  • Options
    Best wishes to you and your family JohnBoy.
    Unfortunately, the deterioating health of our ageing parents is something most of us have to cope with at some stage.
    It doesn't make it any easier though. All the best.

I was at a funeral yesterday and the son had also lost his mother in law a few weeks ago.