Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cancer I hate you

13»

Comments

• Options
    Sorry to hear that JB and DA. My wife's auntie is in next week for a mastectomy. Hopefully they have caught it early.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

My father-in-law had a couple of falls, one on Christmas Day in the garden and one just after the New Year. He'd had a few pins and needles in his hands and feet over the last 6 months yet when he asked his GP, he was told it was nothing.

The wife called to get him a GP appt to get him checked out again yet it was a 3 week wait so she took matters into her own hands and took him to A&E.

When they checked him out, they were concerned enough to do a full body CT scan and discovered a mass in his brain. After a biopsy, we found out yesterday that he has a rare primary tumour which doesnt react well to chemo and the chemo would only give him a couple of months more. Prognosis is 3-6 months at best. Sadly, my brother-in-laws wife is due to give birth to his first grandchild in August.

My wife is a broken woman yet she somehow is holding it together, as is her Mum. She's amazing. Her whole family is amazing and her Dad is one of lifes good guys and he doesnt deserve this, none of them do. I cant comprehend what is happening, its been an absolute whirlwind 3 weeks or so.

Seeing him as he is now, his decline in 3 weeks is absolutely hearbreaking.

Apologies for my rambling essay. My family had luckily avoided the C bullet, until now.

That's shit mate. My old man died of a malignant brain tumour and there's no way of dressing it up, it's a bastard. The only positive thing was that he never suffered any of the pain associated with most cancers, even at the very end.

All you can do is be there for your missus, like my wonderful wife was for me.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

My father-in-law had a couple of falls, one on Christmas Day in the garden and one just after the New Year. He'd had a few pins and needles in his hands and feet over the last 6 months yet when he asked his GP, he was told it was nothing.

The wife called to get him a GP appt to get him checked out again yet it was a 3 week wait so she took matters into her own hands and took him to A&E.

When they checked him out, they were concerned enough to do a full body CT scan and discovered a mass in his brain. After a biopsy, we found out yesterday that he has a rare primary tumour which doesnt react well to chemo and the chemo would only give him a couple of months more. Prognosis is 3-6 months at best. Sadly, my brother-in-laws wife is due to give birth to his first grandchild in August.

My wife is a broken woman yet she somehow is holding it together, as is her Mum. She's amazing. Her whole family is amazing and her Dad is one of lifes good guys and he doesnt deserve this, none of them do. I cant comprehend what is happening, its been an absolute whirlwind 3 weeks or so.

Seeing him as he is now, his decline in 3 weeks is absolutely hearbreaking.

Apologies for my rambling essay. My family had luckily avoided the C bullet, until now.

Sorry to read this John. Bastard illness.

Tough times ahead, but all you can do is be there for all concerned.

Best wishes.
  • Options
    So sorry to hear this. I lost my mum very quickly to cancer. It's a tough road you and your family are on.

My thoughts are very much with you.

Clive
  • Options
    So sorry to hear that, cancer is truly awful, thoughts to you and all your family.
  • Options
    Johnboy, these are my cycling socks, available from Morvelo.
  • Options
    Terrible news, @JohnBoyUK . I don't know you and I can't imagine how I would feel if I was in your shoes. All I can say is that I wish your family the strength to face what lies ahead.
  • Options

God, I'm a soft bastard. Eyes filling up just reading the above. My very best wishes to all of you above who find yourselves in such a difficult situation at the moment.

I had a brush with prostate cancer late in 2015. Trust me, when the consultant looks at you and says "I'm sorry to tell you this but you have cancer" it's the worst moment of your life.

But thanks to our wonderful NHS and the skill and dedication of the surgeon and his team who operated on me I'm still here and currently cancer free. And as bobmunro says above, there are huge advances taking place in fighting this horrible disease across many spectrums. I just hope that one day we can find a cure.

I was diagnosed with Prostrate Cancer three years back. I went to my doctor when my peeing pattern changed; in that, after going for a pee upon retiring to bed, I needed to go again minutes later.

I first had a PSA test which showed raised PSA levels, followed by a biopsy which confirmed the diagnosis. The treatment consisted of a 7 week course of radiotheraphy.

Fortunately for me the disease was identified early in the cancer cycle. I was told that my early action of identifying a potential problem and seeking immediate medical attention made my success more likely. The moral here is to avoid burying the proverbial head in the proverbial sand. Survival rates are very high, particularly if the diagnosis is early.

I still need 6-monthly PSA checks, but I rarely give them any thought. PSA levels remain low.
  • Options
    Cheers for the kind words people. I'm over the shock now. I think we all are. My mother-in-law has been amazing. They've been married 52 years now and she's determined to see him make the most of their time together.

The docs and nurses at KCH have been outstanding. Lewisham A&E left a lot to be desired tbh but thats in the past. Hopefully we'll be able to get him home soon then we can go from there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Cheers for the kind words people. I'm over the shock now. I think we all are. My mother-in-law has been amazing. They've been married 52 years now and she's determined to see him make the most of their time together.

The docs and nurses at KCH have been outstanding. Lewisham A&E left a lot to be desired tbh but thats in the past. Hopefully we'll be able to get him home soon then we can go from there.

all the very best to you and your family .. I am a cancer survivor and now do some volunteering, giving advice, encouragement etc. Out and about, it's remarkable how many people and their families have been affected by cancer .. most however have had a positive outcome, the majority of cancers are curable or otherwise manageable ..
    some cancers are extremely hard to spot and diagnose .. however, the chances of getting a cancer increase manifold in old age and it should be policy that all older people suffering 'unusual' symptoms should be fully checked over .. restricted availability of diagnostic equipment, pressure on staff and resources all serve to make this a wishful thought however
  • Options
    Not a good week
    The Lass has been in Salisbury hospital every day being prepared fo harvest her stem cells from her blood ready for a transplant which should lead to a complete remission. Unfortunately by Thursday evening it was decided that her system could not produce the stem cells and the transplant was cancelled. We are now in limbo until the hospital is due to call us on Wednesday with an update.
    sod it!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Lancs. Best wishes to you all. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    So sorry to read your update @lancashire lad I hope they find an alternative way to treat your wife and she gets back to full health in the not too distant future. Sending love and best wishes to you both x
  • Options
    Sending love and best wishes to Gail and you for Wednesday <3  
  • Options
    Aah Lancs that’s pants.
    Sending huge love to you xx
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear that @lancashire lad this awful journey cancer sends people on of raised hope and crushing you. For you I dearly hope there is an alternative for your lass

• Options
    Sounds tough Lancs.  Good luck to the Mrs in her ongoing battle.
  • Options
    Sending big hugs to you both, Lancs. Such a shitty horrible disease. Do hope they find a way through this for your Lass. xx
  • Options
    Best wishes to Mr & Mrs Lancs X
  • Sponsored links: