Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Fucking great more costs on to the service we provide that are extremely difficult to push on to the clients
  • What happened to your van NLA?
  • One of the company I work for's major client is an oil company, so happy days for us!
  • Just Iran, Nigeria and every other oil producing nation that is strapped for cash needing to agree to not pump as much oil and we could end up paying another 10p or so...and of course Saudi and Russia will happily sacrifice revenues to the other oil producers, won't they...pardon me if I don't panic just yet
  • What happened to your van NLA?

Probably been put on dodgy plates and sold, or cut to pieces and Parted out, apart from Costing me 300 extra a week in second hire for another one and insurance on both and the original payments for the stolen one

Trying to get the insurance to pay up sharpish is my focus now
  • I blame Roland! ;)
  • and Iran about to produce on the open market
  • Thousands have lost their jobs here in Alberta due to the rock bottom oil prices, very difficult times at the moment.
  • Oakster said:

Thousands have lost their jobs here in Alberta due to the rock bottom oil prices, very difficult times at the moment.

Sorry if I don't shed any tears for those poor oil workers, when millions of people and companies world wide are able to actually reduce their overheads and commence spending that will help growth.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2016
    Addickted said:

Oakster said:

Thousands have lost their jobs here in Alberta due to the rock bottom oil prices, very difficult times at the moment.

Sorry if I don't shed any tears for those poor oil workers, when millions of people and companies world wide are able to actually reduce their overheads and commence spending that will help growth.
    I don't disagree - lots of rednecks desperately trying to get rid of all their jacked up trucks, snowmobiles, speedboats, ATVs etc etc etc bought on credit.....

It's a boom & bust economy & unfortunately in the middle of the boom they forgot that the bust is always just around the corner!
  • Addickted said:

Oakster said:

The share holders will still get their dividends, not so great for ordinary people who have lost their livelihoods.
  • like most people, I am happy at the moment with cheap petrol. And I can see what a bonus it is to businesses where it is a significant cost. The problem is that the cheap petrol is solely down to a price war being waged by Saudi Arabia to stifle competition from the USA. When they have done what they have set out to do, they and other oil producers will want to get the money they have lost back! It's a shame we haven't the oil storage facilities to buy and store all this discounted oil.
  • Not the time to be buying a big Merc then ?
  • Red Bull @ Tesco £3 a litre, that rip-off Yakult crap, £7.50 a litre. Petrol £1.
    Go figure!
  • PL54 said:

Not the time to be buying a big Merc then ?

you alright there Joleon Lescott?
  • Carter said:

@ozaddick you can probably quantify this but a fairly good mate of mine works on an oil rig near Oman, he's also worked on rigs in Australia, North Sea, the US, Nigeria (only place he said he'd never go back to)

And one of the last times I saw him I asked him how I could get in his game.

Now me and the others see his brand new 4x4 Mercedes, decent gear and massive house he never sleeps in, and some of the funniest and gruesome stories but he did a good job of convincing me it wasn't that great.

Months upon months at sea or in the middle of a jungle/desert/outpost. If you forget to bring lots of books/laptop/tablet you will be bored beyond comprehension, safety in the workplace exists but as for having nice cosy huddles and one to ones with management forget it. You do as your told and get the fucking job done. Bollocks to your feelings or mindset, don't like it we've got 20 people waiting for you're job pal. You go where the work is sunshine if you dont we wont be calling back.

And the fact he's 36 and single not likely to change soon. And he's also one of the only people I know who masturbates more often than me.

He could have just had the hump that day but it convinced me maybe I wouldn't fancy life on a cosy oil rig and traveling by helicopter that often ends up in water never to be seen again

Getting strange looks in the office from people wondering why I'm laughing so much.
  • Good news for Scotland.
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought there was meant to be 100 billion barrels in the Gatwick oil field find, better start production
  • Carter said:

@ozaddick you can probably quantify this but a fairly good mate of mine works on an oil rig near Oman, he's also worked on rigs in Australia, North Sea, the US, Nigeria (only place he said he'd never go back to)

And one of the last times I saw him I asked him how I could get in his game.

Now me and the others see his brand new 4x4 Mercedes, decent gear and massive house he never sleeps in, and some of the funniest and gruesome stories but he did a good job of convincing me it wasn't that great.

Months upon months at sea or in the middle of a jungle/desert/outpost. If you forget to bring lots of books/laptop/tablet you will be bored beyond comprehension, safety in the workplace exists but as for having nice cosy huddles and one to ones with management forget it. You do as your told and get the fucking job done. Bollocks to your feelings or mindset, don't like it we've got 20 people waiting for you're job pal. You go where the work is sunshine if you dont we wont be calling back.

And the fact he's 36 and single not likely to change soon. And he's also one of the only people I know who masturbates more often than me.

He could have just had the hump that day but it convinced me maybe I wouldn't fancy life on a cosy oil rig and traveling by helicopter that often ends up in water never to be seen again

The industry is full of wankers mate!

Your man's right though, the oil companies and drilling companies who own the rigs play a great game of 'look at us and our safety systems', but try and stop the job because of blatant hazards or unsafe practices and your on the next chopper out of there.
    I've known men that have died on rigs due to unsafe acts, and others that have sub stained serious injuries.
    Trying to get life insurance is a joke, companies won't touch us.
    Your confined to a platform for at least a month at a time, limited wifi if any at all and maybe 1 or 2 phones between 100-150 blokes to use to call loved ones. The percentage of broken marriages are very high, and it may be why I'm a still single at 43, or maybe it's the fact I can do without the grief!!
    It's a hard and harsh existence, with a real threat that if your not on your game for a mere second, you could die.

Hence why we wank so much! There's feck all else to do, and everyone could be your last!

Of course there are benefits, for me it means I can get over to England a lot and visit my parents and sister, get to a few games with Charlton and travel the world. That's also a good reason for never getting married!!

Swings and roundabouts really, but blaming the oilfield worker for the state of the oil industry just got up my nose a lot.

• cafcfan said:

Red Bull @ Tesco £3 a litre, that rip-off Yakult crap, £7.50 a litre. Petrol £1.
    Go figure!

Would rather drink petrol than yakult.
  • how much of the drop in demand for oil is down to alternative energy sources as well as very efficient vehicle engines ?
  • edited February 2016

I thought there was meant to be 100 billion barrels in the Gatwick oil field find, better start production

Rather not have fracking on my doorstep thanks! the 100 billion relates to all over the south east.

Horse Hill is said to have 'just' 158 million barrels per square mile.
  • how much of the drop in demand for oil is down to alternative energy sources as well as very efficient vehicle engines ?

Some but fracking in the US has made a huge difference. According to Wiki, the output from these wells makes up 43% of the oil production and 67% of the natural gas production in the United States. The US imported 52% of its oil in 2011, down from 65% in 2005. Other sources suggest US oil imports are now down to 20% of its consumption. US imports of gas have also shrunk and they are projected to be a net exporter by 2020.
  • If the oil companies do put prices up it's up to the government to step in and reduce the huge taxes on fuel and keep it at a level that doesn't ruin both individuals and businesses. Will they though?
  • Saga Lout said:

If the oil companies do put prices up it's up to the government to step in and reduce the huge taxes on fuel and keep it at a level that doesn't ruin both individuals and businesses. Will they though?

I doubt it. I suppose, technically, Osborne could argue that by initially lowering by 1p and then cancelling further rises promised with the fuel duty escalator, (by which duty would increase by being linked to inflation), then in real terms the fuel duty is now lower than it was in 2009. But then he'd be conveniently ignoring the increase in VAT.

Sneakily, VAT is charged on the whole price, including duty, so that's a tax being taxed again. It's the sales tax equivalent of paying NICs on money that's already had income tax deducted.

So if petrol is £1 a litre, there's 57.95p duty, 16.67p VAT, 20.38p for the product and 5p to the retailer. Tax is currently a staggering 74.62% of the price.
  • History shows that agreements that limit production don't last long. One of the countries will cheat pretty soon and then they all will.
    Consumption of oil and gas is still increasing - it is just that supply is increasing faster. With the sanctions against Iran being lifted coupled with the shale gas in North America this trend will continue and price should remain low IMHO albeit with the odd blip.
  • 'low' is a relative term £1 a litre for petrol is outrageous