Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FROM YOUR PRESTON CORRESPONDENT

A good ride over the Pennines from north Lincolnshire, sunny, comparatively light traffic for M62. The weather forecast for tomorrow is COLD and bright and getting colder ... Preston is one of the nicer Lancashire ex mill/manufacturing towns.

I am off down the road to Blackpool tomorrow for some candy floss and a kiss me kwik hat

Deepdale now is a very impressive stadium, indicative of a club going places under a canny and VERY wealthy owner in Trevor Hemmings (who also owns the favourite and last years' winner of/for the Grand National), and a very decent ENGLISH manager in Simon Grayson ..
Eat your heart out Duchatelet, the Valley has a mere NHS call centre, Deepdale can boast a huge community health centre attached to one end of the ground along with a massive gym.

All you fellow addickts prevaricating about coming up for the game, get in gear and set off, we might not be playing here again for quite some time.

Looking forward to tomorrow's kick off irrespective of the result, I'm hoping at worst for a fighting performance ..

Comments

• Options

A good ride over the Pennines from north Lincolnshire, sunny, comparatively light traffic for M62. The weather forecast for tomorrow is COLD and bright and getting colder ... Preston is one of the nicer Lancashire ex mill/manufacturing towns.

I am off down the road to Blackpool tomorrow for some candy floss and a kiss me kwik hat

Deepdale now is a very impressive stadium, indicative of a club going places under a canny and VERY wealthy owner in Trevor Hemmings (who also owns the favourite and last years' winner of/for the Grand National), and a very decent ENGLISH manager in Simon Grayson ..
    Eat your heart out Duchatelet, the Valley has a mere NHS call centre, Deepdale can boast a huge community health centre attached to one end of the ground along with a massive gym.

All you fellow addickts prevaricating about coming up for the game, get in gear and set off, we might not be playing here again for quite some time.

Looking forward to tomorrow's kick off irrespective of the result, I'm hoping at worst for a fighting performance ..

Don't forget to vist the Pound Bakery in the high street 5 minutes from the train station, verrrry nice.
  • Options
    Burnley & Blackpool are a given :smile:
  • Options
    I popped down to Preston today, has a lovely Waitrose a reasonable hospital, a good shopping centre and as Lincs says a football club to be proud of.
  • Options

Burnley & Blackpool are a given :smile:

Things are improving, they went decimal in 2015 and the first inside Karzy is to be installed in the next 5 years. ;)
  • Options

I was in Blackpool last week.

It makes Woolwich look like Knightsbridge.

The huge mat to wipe your feet on on the way out either end is a good idea though...
  • Options

I popped down to Preston today, has a lovely Waitrose a reasonable hospital, a good shopping centre and as Lincs says a football club to be proud of.

Tbf it's always been raining & dark at midday, when I've been there.
  • Options

"Preston is one of the nicer Lancashire ex mill/manufacturing towns."

Christ on a bike, what are the worse ones then ? Burnley is obviously a given.

I've only been for Charlton matches and didn't stay about for tourism etc. I thought Burnley was alright, Preston a bit run down and Blackpool a dump.

Preston does have a nice train station though :smile:
  • Options

I live up here and even I'm not sure I would agree. Pop along to St. Anne's on the Sea it's much nicer than Blackpool or Preston, and not as snobbish as Lytham.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any recommendations for pubs in Preston
  • Options
    Shrew said:

Have a look on watling street or Deepdale road.
  • Options
    IA said:

I've only been for Charlton matches and didn't stay about for tourism etc. I thought Burnley was alright, Preston a bit run down and Blackpool a dump.

Only took 10 posts before a reference to trains and/or their stations. Proper Charlton.

• Options
    In the past I have enjoyed getting up to Deepdale early and visiting the National Football Museum. Sad, IMO, that it got shipped out to Manchester
  • Options
    I recall Bill Bryson's colourful description of Blackpool in "Notes from a small island". Said it was notable for having the largest number of public urinals per head of population in the world. Of course, by day most of them doubled as shop doorways.

Sums it up.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

IA said:

Only took 10 posts before a reference to trains and/or their stations. Proper Charlton.

I had to include it as the thread was veering into a discussion of northern towns, which is not a proper Charlton conversation
  • Options
    Shrew said:

The Old Vic opposite the station is very good.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

In the past I have enjoyed getting up to Deepdale early and visiting the National Football Museum. Sad, IMO, that it got shipped out to Manchester

Just leave earlier and do a detour to Manchester before the game
  • Options
    Anyone driving up for this one?

I only found out today that I could go and the coaches are fully booked.

I know it's late notice, but if you don't ask, you don't get!

Happy to pay petrol money obviously.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Surprised we have more than 1 going.
  • Options
    Isn't Trevor Hemmings linked to Charlton in some way?
  • Options
    IA said:

Croydon said:

IA said:

I had to include it as the thread was veering into a discussion of northern towns, which is not a proper Charlton conversation
    It'd all go a bit Fiction Factory...
  • Options
    edited February 2016

he was born in the SE London area I believe but moved up north at a young age .. there was talk a couple of years ago that he was 'interested' in CAFC .. whether this was fact or wishful thinking, others might know .. his 'purchase' of PNE put any ideas of him buying CAFC to rest .. instead we got instead of a wealthy race horse owner, a Belgian donkey and his mare
  • Options

I may be driving up tomorrow afternoon. All depends how much work I get done tomorrow. Starting early to smash through it. Will know around 11am.
  • Options
    for those coming up for the match it is very cold this morning and the local forecast is for the coldest evening of the year about -5
  • Options

He held a number of shares, back in Muzzas time.

The Fulwood Conservative Club on the Blackpool Road is a good watering hole. Cheap and with three full size snooker tables.
  • Options
    28 April 2012 2-2 was the last time i was at preston and we was waving the players off in there final away game of the season of as champions, shows how much times can change, what i would do to have that team and spirit back again, cheers roland you wanker of a man.

• Options
    On the 13.30 from Euston. Will pop into the old vic on arrival.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

I may be driving up tomorrow afternoon. All depends how much work I get done tomorrow. Starting early to smash through it. Will know around 11am.
    @jamescafc

Just seen this....

Okay, cheers.

I'm at work but no issues leaving at short notice.