Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Preston v Charlton | Tue 23 Feb | 7:45pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Preston North End v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 23 February 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: James Adcock (Nottinghamshire)

Headlines

In a week which has seen very little news (good or bad) in terms of Charlton Athletic, there has been good to come out of Sparrows Lane this week… I’m sure the 3-0 defeat against Fulham won’t be in his top 10 yet hats off to Chris Solly making his 200th appearance for the Addicks.

Introduction
We’ve entered an era at Charlton where history and achievement don’t seem to matter to some, in Football alone it’s rare for a single player to remain at a club for so long… When Chris Solly made his debut against Norwich City in 2009 it would be as a Left-Back rather than in his preferred position and it was evident that the Addicks had produced another gem from their Academy

In the beginning he would struggle to keep hold of his First Team spot, playing understudy to Simon Francis and Carl Jenkinson yet with Jenkinson’s future in doubt, Chris would make the Right-Back slot his own twice winning the Player of the Year award, his greatest achievement surely has to be winning League One yet his goal against Blackpool the following season must come close, the saddest part of his 200-games is that we’ve not seen him score at the Valley.

We play Preston North End tonight… A win and we may survive; a defeat and we probably won’t… Regardless of what happens, thanks to problematic knees we may well see Chris Solly in a Charlton shirt next season, on behalf of all Addicks fans, here’s to the next 200-games for us… For this preview I finish the Introduction by handing the final words over to Chris…

Certainly not the performance or result we need in our position right now, but a real honour today for me personally reaching 200 games for the club, been an extremely difficult season but I love playing for this club and will continue to give 100%!

The Opposition
Name: Preston North End | Manager: Simon Grayson
Ground: Deepdale | Nickname: The Lilywhites

This preview has been posted slightly later than usual because I didn’t know what to write (defeats do make the next preview harder) , in the end I decided to forget the usual spiel and dedicate it to a Charlton Player who reached a landmark, because of a longer Introduction, this section will be a bit shorter.

Simon Grayson will be proud of his squad of players this season… In a season where the promoted sides struggled from the off, you’d have thought that the three League One teams from last season were going back down… Preston began the season struggling for goals yet a 3-0 win at the Valley has slowly propelled them up the league, proof that you should stick by your Manager through thick and thin

We need three points ourselves this season yet tonight we play a side who suddenly find themselves just eight points from the Play-Offs…

In the Championship, there no easy matches!!

Charlton Team News
One fan usually in the know is Ketts and the rumours tonight suggest that Chris Solly won’t be making his 201st appearance for the club… Should he indeed be rested you’d expect Marco Motta to start in his place… Of course, Solly could be played in Midfield, it’ll all depend on whether Jordan Cousins is fit enough to return from injury… Whoever starts there should play alongside a rejuvenated; El-Hadji Ba whose substitution left many baffled on Saturday... Goals are what we most urgently need yet with rumours that Igor Vetokele is still out, where will they be coming from?

Henderson
Motta … Teixeira … Lennon … Fox
Gudmundsson … Solly … Ba … Bergdich
Harriott … Makienok

Substitutes Bench: Pope … Young … Fanni … Poyet … Lookman … Ghoochanniejad … Sanogo

Prediction
Preston North End 1-2 Charlton Athletic

Comments

• Options
    You want us to start the game with Chris Solly in centre-midfield?
    Seriously?
  • Options

Seriously?

Where did I say I want Chris Solly to start in Midfield?

If Jordan Cousins isnt fit then I see Chris Solly starting in Midfield yes
  • Options
    So much depends on player fitness; we don't know if anyone picked up knocks on Saturday, nor if those missing (Sanogo for instance) may be back?

Ultimately, we need a clean sheet to have much of a chance, as we don't look like scoring (m)any...

COYA!
  • Options
    Solly is an old skool full-back - you can't play him anywhere else on the pitch.

To play him in midfield would be utter madness. To play him in midfield ahead of Poyet - even not at his best - would be whatever is crazier than madness...
  • Options

Solly is an old skool full-back - you can't play him anywhere else on the pitch.

To play him in midfield would be utter madness. To play him in midfield ahead of Poyet - even not at his best - would be whatever is crazier than madness...

Roland?
  • Options
    I like look of bench poke young Fanni. Oops sorry it's Pope
  • Options
    Fox to be dropped, Yun to play
    Back to back 3-0 defeats for us and Preston's 3-0 double over us.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Seriously?

Where did I say I want Chris Solly to start in Midfield?

If Jordan Cousins isnt fit then I see Chris Solly starting in Midfield yes
    I wouldn't disagree with this, he was tidy there when Motta came on on Saturday who I liked the look of. If Solly is fit he plays whether that is either full back position or midfield doesn't bother me and captains the side. He cares and right now, that's more than can be said for some of his team mates.

Personally I'd move Harriott LM drop Bergditch and play Lookman up top. Let's hope we get the same positive start we did at Fulham but this time turn that into goals and a Rotherham style away win is secured. COYRs ffs give us hardy souls in attendance tonight just a glimmer of hope for once!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3-0 defeat pretty standard stuff anything less is not a bad result anymore.
  • Options
    You can re-arrange the jigsaw pieces as much as you like people, but we're missing a lot of pieces and plenty of the pieces are broken, the jigsaw will never produce the results we want.

3-1 loss, and that's being bold as we are evens to just score tonight!
  • Options
    I haven't been to a home game for 13 months. Last match was Brum away last season.

I'm 50 mins drive from Preston. I know it will be absolutely freezing, I know we'll lose, I know it'll be a shit evening and I'll get royally pissed off.

I'm considering going. I think it's a mixture of masochism and some sort of weird OCD (and knowing the current CAFC won't get any of my money)
  • Options
    we wont score, they will its just how many.
  • Options
    They lost yesterday but prior to the Southend v Burton match last night, Sky mentioned that the Burton back five (Goalkeeper included) had been played for the last 18-matches (or something like that)... Shows where they are in the Division.

Whenever we've lost a match there have been calls for whole sale changes with a lot of those being within the Defence.

If it were me I'd leave Henderson .. Solly .. Teixeira .. Lennon .. Fox there at the back regardless least it would create some stability
  • Options
    I see from our Website in the PRESTON Away ground review, that in 1975 we beat Preston to get promotion and that the goal scorers were Goldthorpe . Hales and a spot kick from Bob Curtis !!!
    They can't get anything right these days .......... .

• Options
    4-0
  • Options
    Little optimism here I'm afraid, any travelling support deserves a decent display, draw at best.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Horrible northern away fixture at a well managed club. Grayson has done a magnificent job there.

But where Preston were 4 years ago when we destroyed them 5-2 at The Valley should be a reminder that football can change fast

Preston North End 4-0 Charlton Athletic
  • Options
    2-0 Preston, Garner (29), Johnson (87)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Horrible northern away fixture at a well managed club. Grayson has done a magnificent job there.

But where Preston were 4 years ago when we destroyed them 5-2 at The Valley should be a reminder that football can change fast

Preston North End 4-0 Charlton Athletic

So very true... Unless you support a Team from the English elite, the rest of us will only ever be as good as our last Manager / Owner
  • Options

Wow... Now that is a Prediction...
  • Options

Won't happen, if they're one up I'm going to make a better job of invading the pitch than that girl did on Saturday, in the 86th minute :smiley: .
  • Options
    win tonight and results go our way get something out of reading then we could go into the mk dons match needing a win to get out of the zone, when its put like that it doesn't seem so bad, but having seen some of the football this season, preston to win 2-0 to make it as painless as possible, currently think we could get relegated with about 5 games to play, as others around us are doing okay.
  • Options
    Daniel Johnson needs to be marked out of the game... He ran the show at the Valley
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Won't happen, if they're one up I'm going to make a better job of invading the pitch than that girl did on Saturday, in the 86th minute :smiley: .
    Ah, but that means the referee will stop the clock and then, our otherwise not quite watertight defence will lose their concentration (having been admiring the beauty of your balletic form carried, Dying Swan-like, off the field of play), and, the referee having barely brought the whistle to his lips, Johnson will sneak in between them and....

Or else, the ball will be passed back by Roger into an empty net....
  • Options
    Charlton nil.

We are dreadful
  • Options
    Like you FA, I'm an eternal optimist when it comes to Charlton and until its mathematically confirmed, I still have hope we can survive.

Having said that, as if we needed more evidence, it really does highlight the problems at our club that come 24 hours before kick off we don't have a scooby who is available and who could or could not be in the lineup. My 86 year old Nan before her hip replacement had more stability. Whilst Ketts is undoubtedly a good source, the information we get is piss poor from the club.

Heart says 2-1 win, head says 3-0 loss.

• Options
    defeat, again.

It's increasing looking like three from four at the bottom, Bristol City and Blackburn nine points ahead with far better GD's, and people see us catching MKD but in my opinion even if we do I don't think we will overhaul Bolton who are about to get a massive boost off the field and maybe a big boost on it too when the take-over goes through.
  • Options
    Who knows and I am beginning not to care to be honest.

There just seems to be no plan surrounding the first team squad, its all hit and hope, on and off the pitch.

I will go 2 0 Preston, routine easy home win.