Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Target 20k are looking for ideas on how to improve attendances...

Comments

• Options

From listening to the Charlton Live interview, apparently a couple of the initiatives from this group are:

- Free away travel
    - Getting the players to come over and acknowledge supporters at the end of the match

How do either of these increase attendances at The Valley?

I don't wish to be critical of these guys giving up their time to try and do their best for Charlton, but I am struggling to see how on earth this will achieve anything other than allow KM to claim she is working with/ listening to (a very small group of unrepresentative) fans?

Probably Meire's idea.
  • Options
    Will the first one be available for those of just going to away games next season?
  • Options
    Could we get the guys on this forum to quit?

Would send a strong message to KM that we no longer wish to work with them and that the only option is to sell.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I'd be happy to keep Riga on so long as all other remnants of Duchatelet are removed and all bridges burned...

He has now got hat-tricks out of Sanogo, Sordell and Harriott
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I'd be happy to keep Riga on so long as all other remnants of Duchatelet are removed and all bridges burned...

Good point. You've forgotten the hat-trick of successive defeats
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Good point. You've forgotten the hat-trick of successive defeats
    Yep, I also don't have a short memory and remember him keeping us up before. I remember him turning a chuff team into a surviving team to only be shown the door.

I remember him saying how much he liked the club.

I remember him escaping duchatelet's regime only to be dragged back in because of a similar owner.

I realise now we are 2015/2016's Blackpool.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Riga is a good guy, but not a miracle worker.

It's clear he's capable of bringing some confidence to individual players, as well as getting the whole team together again. That's exactly what we need, and those are two qualities that we've been lacking in managers since his last reign.

However, when he has a threadbare squad and has defenders like Johnson and Sarr to choose from - and midfield heavyweights like Johnny (Legend albeit, he's not got the engine for a relegation scrap playing full 90s) and Ba.. well, he's one workman with every right to blame his tools.

If he had the entirety of our squad fit and ready for action, then I imagine he could coax some very good performances out of them. Alas, he doesn't - and what he has got is patchy at best.

From listening to the Charlton Live interview, apparently a couple of the initiatives from this group are:

- Free away travel
    - Getting the players to come over and acknowledge supporters at the end of the match

I don't wish to be critical of these guys giving up their time to try and do their best for Charlton, but I am struggling to see how on earth this will achieve anything other than allow KM to claim she is working with/ listening to (a very small group of unrepresentative) fans?

Piss poor state of affairs when the a focus group has to encourage the players to acknowledge after the fans after a match.

Although I can kind of understand the free away travel perhaps being aimed at increasing support engagement by encouraging them to attend more matches. Unfortunately this relies on those matches being worth the effort of travelling to see - free or not.
  • Options
    Winning more than three home games. Removing The Belgians.
  • Options
    Get rid of Roly and I guarantee attendances will improve. To make clear people actually at the Valley.
  • Options
    Making the Valley Express free would be a better idea, I fail to understand how free away travel would increase attendance at the Valley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Listened to the group on the podcast. The two sound so pleased with themselves. Idiots.

To be fair fans like them have led to Charlton becoming less of a football club.

Rah Rah Rah!
  • Options
    Not sure I'd say that they sounded pleased with themselves.

To me, it was a little bit nervous, and they were trying to be positive. All of us would do the same in their position.

I think they expected Louis to be more negative, and they'd know the reaction they'll get from the 2%.

However, no matter, they are on the wrong side of the argument. I can understand their perspective, and we do need to have plans in place for when the regime goes, but they will, largely, fail to "grow" attendances.
  • Options
    If it wasn't for the toxic atmosphere they have created at The Valley there would be plenty of of people willing to help them to increase attendances.
  • Options

To me, it was a little bit nervous, and they were trying to be positive. All of us would do the same in their position.

I think they expected Louis to be more negative, and they'd know the reaction they'll get from the 2%.

However, no matter, they are on the wrong side of the argument. I can understand their perspective, and we do need to have plans in place for when the regime goes, but they will, largely, fail to "grow" attendances.

Indeed. The club needs a lift. The fans need to feel that we are going forward as a club again. The sad part is, before RD took over, we had that, and the attendances were relatively healthy and a Target 20k campaign would have had far more impact and fan approval/involvement back then. Mention Target 20k now and most fans will just laugh, because it's not going to happen under this regime.

Wait until next season and the group (and the Senior Management) will have a real idea of how unachievable the target will become. Even Target 15k will be a stretch in League One with these clowns in charge.
  • Options

Agreed the two who went certainly didn't sound "pleased" with themselves and if anything deserve credit for going on the show amidst all that's going on around the club at the moment.

The group knows Target 20k is a long term target, an ambition and the group is fully aware of the likely big drop off in attendances next season but as @NornIrishAddick puts across perfectly while attendances may not grow in the short term who's to know how long RD is going to be here for and how much potential long term permanent damage could be done to the fanbase without any action being taken to keep growing the fanbase? Yes people who are staying away are saying they will come back once RD is gone but it's no guarantee either if he's still here in two years time for instance, by which how long do you give it until people stay away permanently? Or they don't like whoever the next owner is and decide to keep away? Ideally yes people will come back and hopefully each and every one of them will but there's no guarantee either.

In the meantime do we want to stop new supporters coming to the club in the meantime? If and when the ownership does change we still need a fan base to come back to.
  • Options

Agreed the two who went certainly didn't sound "pleased" with themselves and if anything deserve credit for going on the show amidst all that's going on around the club at the moment.

The group knows Target 20k is a long term target, an ambition and the group is fully aware of the likely big drop off in attendances next season but as @NornIrishAddick puts across perfectly while attendances may not grow in the short term who's to know how long RD is going to be here for and how much potential long term permanent damage could be done to the fanbase without any action being taken to keep growing the fanbase? Yes people who are staying away are saying they will come back once RD is gone but it's no guarantee either if he's still here in two years time for instance, by which how long do you give it until people stay away permanently? Or they don't like whoever the next owner is and decide to keep away? Ideally yes people will come back and hopefully each and every one of them will but there's no guarantee either.

In the meantime do we want to stop new supporters coming to the club in the meantime? If and when the ownership does change we still need a fan base to come back to.
    Hi Martin. Really do appreciate your efforts, but...fans are staying away in protest at the way the club is being run. It therefore does feel counter-productive to collude with the regime in attracting new fans. These newcomers are not exactly going to experience/ fall in love with the real Charlton in the current circumstances, are they?
    I fully understand and respect fans who are staying away and why. I wouldn't say we collude with the regime as we are independent of the club. We will always raise concerns brought to our attention and in fact the group did raise a range of concerns and ideas with the club on Saturday, of which we are hoping to share soon.

In the current circumstances I can't argue with your point but that doesn't mean we can at least try to influence the club to make it a better club for us all. The moment it all falls on deaf ears is the moment I walk away from it but in the meantime, meetings have been positive and our input has been listened to and in a few instances already actioned.
  • Options

Hi Martin. Really do appreciate your efforts, but...fans are staying away in protest at the way the club is being run. It therefore does feel counter-productive to collude with the regime in attracting new fans. These newcomers are not exactly going to experience/ fall in love with the real Charlton in the current circumstances, are they?
    I fully understand and respect fans who are staying away and why. I wouldn't say we collude with the regime as we are independent of the club. We will always raise concerns brought to our attention and in fact the group did raise a range of concerns and ideas with the club on Saturday, of which we are hoping to share soon.

In the current circumstances I can't argue with your point but that doesn't mean we can at least try to influence the club to make it a better club for us all. The moment it all falls on deaf ears is the moment I walk away from it but in the meantime, meetings have been positive and our input has been listened to and in a few instances already actioned.
    At a time when many through many different means are working hard and at personal expense, monetarily and emotionally, to rid the club of the Duchatalet virus, you take pleasure from helping them and giving them some credibility! Each to their own I suppose but I think you need to start thinking and resign.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

At a time when many through many different means are working hard and at personal expense, monetarily and emotionally, to rid the club of the Duchatalet virus, you take pleasure from helping them and giving them some credibility! Each to their own I suppose but I think you need to start thinking and resign.
    Can you show me the quote where I said that please? I do it for the love of the club and not of any regime.

But you can quote me on where I said the moment it all falls on deaf ears I will walk away...
  • Options

- Free away travel

Probably Meire's idea.
    This is the problem with our current crop, this should be a cement in every home game like most teams do. Regardless of whether there is 20,000 of us or 200, respect the support you got, even if it's not every fan (some will boo).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

kentred2 said:

Can you show me the quote where I said that please? I do it for the love of the club and not of any regime.

But you can quote me on where I said the moment it all falls on deaf ears I will walk away...
    Are you allowed to talk about the quality of football on the pitch?
  • Options
    Very good post, Hex. Apart from the whole notion of T20k being completely and utterly ridiculous, it is counter productive to the one thing we need to do and that is get rid of the regime.

My son has a season ticket, but didn't want to go on Saturday. In the past I'd have offered it to friends or family or anyone really, just so it wasn't wasted. This week, I didn't tell a soul. Apart from the fact that it's embarrassing taking visitors to watch that trash, the last thing I'd want to do was bring someone along who might spent some money that could end up in Two Shats account.
  • Options

Pinnochio laughs at you behind your back. You just dont get who you are dealing with.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Very good post, Hex. Apart from the whole notion of T20k being completely and utterly ridiculous, it is counter productive to the one thing we need to do and that is get rid of the regime.

My son has a season ticket, but didn't want to go on Saturday. In the past I'd have offered it to friends or family or anyone really, just so it wasn't wasted. This week, I didn't tell a soul. Apart from the fact that it's embarrassing taking visitors to watch that trash, the last thing I'd want to do was bring someone along who might spent some money that could end up in Two Shats account.

I took my 5 year old grandson twice earlier in the season. I know he'd love to go again but yesterday he told us he also supports Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea. I need to cement Charlton as his team but dare not take him at the moment. How much longer will he wear his Charlton kit to football club at school ? How much longer will he be able to stand up and say he supports Charlton ? I don't know, but what I do know is that anything that prolongs the life of this regime will put a future supporter at risk of going elsewhere. Target 20k IS supporting the regime, if only a little and is unfortunately doing the opposite of what the ggroup believe (unless they support the regime).

Maybe the group should become completely independant and not meet with the club at all. Instead they could be preparing the ground to implement their ideas as soon as the cancer is destroyed.
  • Options
    My son is supporting the protests as much as the team during the game. He was doing a good 'we want Roland out' and an excellent 'we want our Charlton back' on the route to the game.

He is also 5 and thinks we have rubbish players this season.

That said, he has just won the premiership playing with a Charlton team in a FIFA:championship manager rip off he's got. It was season two and the first season he won the championship with last years team basically. He often has a Charlton bench for his Barcelona team in fifa16, I've tried telling him that Barcelona subs may do a bit better but he won't have it.

So there's one fan right there who'll be around after Roland has gone.
  • Options
    Have they considered an aggressive programme of cloning I wonder?
  • Options

- Free away travel

Probably Oohaah's idea.