Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket T20 World Cup 2016

Comments

• Options
    Very disappointed but what a great game of cricket that was.

Our lads played their hearts out but it wasn't to be.
  • Options
    Marlon Samuels will have enjoyed seeing Stokes walloped out of the park four times in a row.
  • Options
    Morgan to blame, not Stokes. Also, some unintelligent batting at the start of our innings but when Morgan came in to bat he was dreadful and showed how out of form he is.
  • Options
    After being smacked twice, I'm astonished that Stokes didn't try and do something different. I think the tension/adrenalin got to him
  • Options
    Gutted
  • Options

After being smacked twice, I'm astonished that Stokes didn't try and do something different. I think the tension/adrenalin got to him

Agree. Brainless bowling four balls to the Windies strength. However good team effort to run it that close - and to make the final
  • Options
    As Vic Marks said way before the end Morgan likes a bit of Willey at the end.

Not today but I can see the logic of what Morgan did.

Brathwaite deserves credit for his bottle in going for it in my view.
  • Options
    Some questionable deliveries from Stokes but he's not to blame. Chris Jordan is our man for that. Brathwaite didn't his 4 sixes by accident fair play
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At the end of the day cricket is the winner, and keeping the game alive and healthy in the Caribbean is more important than short term England success, etc etc

If I say it enough times, I might start agreeing with this!
  • Options
    I still maintain that Samuels should have been out on that caught behind.

It's the foreahortening of the lense. Stretches the picture out and distorts whether it touched the ground or whether the fingers are underneath. (I am sure someone else can explain it much better)
    I have read professional photographers and experienced sports cameramen on the subject. And they say the on field umpires call should be used in these cases. Only when you see them in real time and not through a camera do you get the true picture. This has been an issue for a while and will continue to be so until they agree a consensus.
    On fine margins such as these a game hangs.

Having said that was an exceptional innings by Marlon and we should have won the game in that last over. Willey excellent, Root classy. Not much else to say.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Great game and a great tournament. Stokes and Jordan have been excellent at the death and it was good captaincy letting Willey have the 17th over as he was bowling well. Jordan kept his end up but the pressure told on Stokes and Brathwaite had a swing and on another day, one of those gets skied and caught. Morgan did well bowling Root and England played their part. One telling thing for me was that the Windies got more lucky runs than we did - To their credit, they also caught everything- it's just the way it goes. What a format T20 is though and congrats to the Windies and well done to every one of our boys. Keep improving for the next one!

With the Samuels decision, you have to go with the video evidence at the end of the day. There is definitely still some doubt but I think it was a fair call.
  • Options
    Was it Samuels that Billings dropped when he slipped?
  • Options
    Wow.

Listened to all but the last 20 minutes in the car and saw the last 2 overs.

Unlucky boys.

Next time.
  • Options

Great game and a great tournament. Stokes and Jordan have been excellent at the death and it was good captaincy letting Willey have the 17th over as he was bowling well. Jordan kept his end up but the pressure told on Stokes and Brathwaite had a swing and on another day, one of those gets skied and caught. Morgan did well bowling Root and England played their part. One telling thing for me was that the Windies got more lucky runs than we did - To their credit, they also caught everything- it's just the way it goes. What a format T20 is though and congrats to the Windies and well done to every one of our boys. Keep improving for the next one!

With the Samuels decision, you have to go with the video evidence at the end of the day. There is definitely still some doubt but I think it was a fair call.

If in doubt not out regardless of video evidence.

• Options

No, it was Bravo. I think the doubt about the catch is merely from the possible illusion of the close up - if you are using the technology - which you should, it looked like the ball contacted the ground. The umpires had to make the decision they did.
  • Options
    Great that England got there, fine margins at the end. Sad we lost, everyone involved deserved congratulations, well done both sides.
  • Options

No, it was Bravo. I think the doubt about the catch is merely from the possible illusion of the close up - if you are using the technology - which you should, it looked like the ball contacted the ground. The umpires had to make the decision they did.
    Even Buttler wasn't sure as he didn't claim the wicket like he would on a more clear cut chance. You could see Plunkett saying he did not think it was out so unfortunately the right decision.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Even Buttler wasn't sure as he didn't claim the wicket like he would on a more clear cut chance. You could see Plunkett saying he did not think it was out so unfortunately the right decision.
    Have a quick Google about the foreahortening of the lense and it's impact of pictures in sport. It's by no means clear cut.

I think there needs to be a consensus from the ICC.

Personally I would stick with the on field umpires call as they are the only ones to see it real time and no with distorted images. If the decision is to go to the video ump then they need to agree which way to go on those as they have gone both ways..

I believe we should copy rugby and have questions, is there any reason to overturn this decision.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Who is Third Man Both Ends??
    I doff my hat to you - more than twice the number of points i have!

he was leading most of the competition, can't believe I pipped him, doesn't make up for how totally gutted I am at that final, god knows what Stokes must be going through.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I was worried about Stokes but there wasn't any other option. Had Ali bowled the final over, Morgan would have been crucified if we lost. If you think four fours is 16 and the Windies needed 19, you have to think Stokes could have bowled much better - low and wide with a full length, but there was pressure on. He had a good tournament and will come back from that.
  • Options
    Malinga could have bowled that last over I doubt it would have made the slightest bit of difference, the big man connected with four giant slugs, fair play.
  • Options

Trevor Chappel would have done the job!

Ha, yeah, that was probably the only way to have stopped him.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

If in doubt not out regardless of video evidence.

However, it was given out by umpire. I thought the new directive was you cant overrule the on-field umpire's decision unless you have explicit reasons to do so - for me, this was marginal, and therefore the on fields decision should have stood.
  • Options

1StevieG said:

Have a quick Google about the foreahortening of the lense and it's impact of pictures in sport. It's by no means clear cut.

I think there needs to be a consensus from the ICC.

Personally I would stick with the on field umpires call as they are the only ones to see it real time and no with distorted images. If the decision is to go to the video ump then they need to agree which way to go on those as they have gone both ways..

I believe we should copy rugby and have questions, is there any reason to overturn this decision.
    Which is essentially what they do now.
  • Options

Trevor Chappell would have done the job! For those oldies to remember

Greg Chappell wasn't it ?
  • Options
    MuttleyCAFC was right. Greg has done plenty of annoying things too mind.
  • Options
    Didn't Greg tell him to do it being the captain?