Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket T20 World Cup 2016

Comments

• Options
    Apologies. Greg Chappell, the Australian captain, instructed the bowler (his brother Trevor) to bowl underarm in a bid to prevent the Number 10 New Zealand batsman (Brian McKechnie) from getting under the delivery with sufficient power and elevation to hit a six.
  • Options
    CHG said:

Who is Third Man Both Ends??
    I doff my hat to you - more than twice the number of points i have!

he was leading most of the competition, can't believe I pipped him, doesn't make up for how totally gutted I am at that final, god knows what Stokes must be going through.
    I am/was Third Man Both Ends. Only myself to blame for losing as I too choked.

Congratulations to CHG.
  • Options

Hate the amount of stick Stokes is getting by people who have probably never picked up a cricket ball in their life (not on here, just on general social media etc).

The bloke is one of those rare breeds who will always stick his hand up when the pressure is on. More often than not he will perform, but of course if you put yourself in those situations, there's going to be times when you fail. Can't wait for him to stick it to all the armchair critics next time he takes to the field.

They forget about his two good catches and one absolutely exceptional catch without which we would have been nowhere..
  • Options
    Arguably, it was the batsmen who lost the game not Stokes. The openers both failed and, although Root batted brilliantly, he did get out to an unnecessarily risky shot at a time when we needed him to stay there. Morgan, of course, also failed. The bowlers did well to give us a chance. Stokes bowled a poor first ball in that last over, but after that Brathwaite's inspired batting won the day rather than especially poor bowling by Stokes.

T20 is a lot about bravery, a lot about skill, but a lot about luck as well. Also, the toss can have a big bearing on the game. It was a close final; we just came second on the day.
  • Options
    I think Stokes could have bowled better – but we shouldn’t be hard on him – some great catches and he stood up to be counted. Had Morgan went any other way, he would have been criticised for not using Stokes as he has bowled really well at the death before. I think he was struggling a bit with sweat on the ball, which might have made a difference, along with the pressure. The team did well and Stokes is a big part of the future. Had we won the toss, I’m pretty sure we would have won that game. But we were part of a truly great tournament - virtually every game being a cracker.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Didn't Greg tell him to do it being the captain?

Yes he did.
  • Options
    People saying Stokes is not a death bowler seem to forget the final four overs he and Jordan bowled against NZ in the semis which went for just 20 runs.
  • Options
    I blame Morgan as he has been terrible this WC. However Stokes deserves a little criticism. He bowled 4 balls in the exact same place. He should
    Have bowled the wide Yorker and Morgan should have told him that.

It takes a little shine off the tournament but Stokes can hold his head high with his previous bowling and credit to Jordan for playing well.
  • Options
    You have to laugh at all the armchair pros on here who would struggle to get a game for the Broadstairs 4th XI giving their expert advice on what Stokes should and should not have been doing - as if they'd have the slightest clue.

Bottom line is that sometimes - especially in T20 - even the best bowlers get clobbered, sometimes the batsman is just right in the zone and there is not much you can really do about it.

I remember seeing Stuart Broad getting clouted for six 6s in an over by Yuvraj Singh in the 2007 T20 World Cup - anyone fancy calling one of our most successful bowlers a "choker?"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You have to laugh at all the armchair pros on here who would struggle to get a game for the Broadstairs 4th XI giving their expert advice on what Stokes should and should not have been doing - as if they'd have the slightest clue.

Bottom line is that sometimes - especially in T20 - even the best bowlers get clobbered, sometimes the batsman is just right in the zone and there is not much you can really do about it.

I remember seeing Stuart Broad getting clouted for six 6s in an over by Yuvraj Singh in the 2007 T20 World Cup - anyone fancy calling one of our most successful bowlers a "choker?"

Sometimes fast bowlers let the adrenalin get the better of them, and it goes to their heads. You see that in Test matches where a bowler will keep bowling bouncers despite being hooked into the crowd, as they're SURE that they'll get the batsman out. Bowlers will always want to stay on, naturally they have the self confidence to believe in themselves, but sometimes they need a strong captain to control them...
  • Options
    Braithwaite was coming for Stokes no matter what. That was the match situation. Granted, Stokes could have bowled better but fair play to the batsman who stood up when his team need him (and which England's batsmen mostly failed to do).
  • Options
    I think that Ben has been one of our stars of the past 12 months - yes, he didn't bowl 4 balls very well, but give credit to Brathwait - makes you wonder what might have happened had he not been on strike? Lots of maybes.
    One of the things its likely to do is make/let Ben develop some other deliveries for that scenario, a slower ball for example. But also, the bulk of this team will be around in 4 years time for the next WC in OZ (would love to go!) - and all will be hitting their peak - imagine Root,Buttler,Stokes,Willey,Roy,Hales all at their peak for one tourno - will be amaxing - and this experience will stand them all in such good stead for that too.
  • Options

They only ran two sides the season I played for them.

Long time ago now.....
  • Options
    Four England players (Roy, Root, Buttler & Willey) made the ICC Team of the Tournament. Twice as many as any other country with NZ, SA & Australia only having one each ;-)

Roy
    de Kock
    Kohli (C)
    Root
    Buttler
    Watson
    Russell
    Santner
    Willey
    Badree
    Nehra

That's pretty positive especially when you think how young those four are - and that Watson & Nehra won't even be playing International cricket.
  • Options
    I would have thought Jordan had a sniff too with his death bowling!
  • Options
    Stokes, unfortunately, had the mindset of a batsmen with a scrambled brain - a bit like Morgan in that respect.

England spent hours practicing for that very scenario bowling to specific areas as small as six inch square. But, as with sudden death penalty situations, the "I must not" actually becomes the "I will" and as much as I'm sure he wanted to bowl yorkers on the first return crease they all ended up in the arc.

It happens. We had a fantastic tournament overall. A couple of those wins and going so close we simply could not have contemplated a year or so ago.
  • Options

Four England players (Roy, Root, Buttler & Willey) made the ICC Team of the Tournament. Twice as many as any other country with NZ, SA & Australia only having one each ;-)

Roy
    de Kock
    Kohli (C)
    Root
    Buttler
    Watson
    Russell
    Santner
    Willey
    Badree
    Nehra

That's pretty positive especially when you think how young those four are - and that Watson & Nehra won't even be playing International cricket.

No Braithwaite ??!! - obviously selected before the final.
  • Options
    Fuck off Roy slurry wanker
  • Options
    Well, thanks for the contribution, Steve.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Without Stokes we would have not reached the Final - no abuse from me. Yes it was a bad over but credit for putting his hand up again, it was the biggest over of his life and one man outsmarted him and the size of Braithwaite he could clip a cricket ball and it would fly for a 6.
  • Options
    A little comment that might upset quite a few people....

Joe Root lost us the World Cup.

Let me explain...
    I love the guy - it is just brilliant that he plays for us, and will be around for so long too.However, yesterday, i still cant comprehend his decision to play THAT shot so soon after losing two quick wickets, when surely the order of the day would have been to consolidate for an over or two, just nudging,pushing , the occasional four, would probably have meant us getting an extra 10 runs at least (coz we had to consolidate after he was ot for sure).

He is just a brilliant batsman , and he got 2 wickets, but i keep thinking back to the shot he played - it was dreadful in the situation.Still, the guy is only young.
  • Options
    Braithwaite did well - he had to go for it and on another day he could have got it slightly wrong and been caught. It is the nature of T20. We got to the final with a team whose best days are infront of it. Nothing to complain about.
  • Options
    Still gutted about it today. Ben Stokes is one hell of a cricketer in all forms and that is rare these days. Our time will come and I would back Stokes on any occasion again to win us a final.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

I have always liked the Windies, but I think they took victory with an alarming level of bad grace.

Definitely. Marlon Samuels slagging off Warne afterwards and then says I let my cricket do the talking. Well no you don't because you bit back. Classless and it took the shine off their victory. I remember when Denesh Ramdin pulled out the paper slating Viv Richards when he scored a ton in England.
  • Options
    I was thinking that if Samuels was a quarter of the player Warne was he would be a mighty fine player.
  • Options
    The next T20 is in 2020, Gayle ,Samuels,Sammy,Badree,maybe Bravo will be long gone by then - they will be a shadow of the team you see now - ok they have Brathwaite, but he cant do it all himself.
    England stars will be late twenties - this is the time to do it. I have decided to start a special 'fund' for saving up to go out there. 10 pounds a week over 200 weeks is sufficient methinks. Then again, i want to go to Japan for the Rugby World Cup too ! - oh well, 20 pounds a week it is then !
  • Options
    Other 'star' players who wont be around then....Steyn,maybe ABDV,Yuvraj,Dhoni,Nehra,Taylor,Shahid,
    Who else?
  • Options
    Just watched the final over again, and Brathwaite is one hell of a hitter - but, someone will sort out his achilles heel - but its certainly not bowling length balls at him !