Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New boiler

Had a fella out from British Gas today and he tells me my boiler is definitely knackered. He couldn't say how much a new one would be as apparently they have to send their sales rep out to deal with that sort of thing, although the earliest their sales rep can come round is next Tuesday - so that's at least another week without any hot water!

Anyone got a ballpark idea of how much I'm looking at, including labour? I hate the idea of a sales rep coming round when I don't even have the faintest idea about what would be reasonable - may as well give him a blank cheque!

Also, anyone got connections in the trade who fancies coming to give me a quote?

Comments

• Options
    What sort of boiler? Combo?

I'd imagine you won't get much change out of a grand... most of it being labour of course.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I got a combi boiler supplied and fitted two years ago for £1500.
  • Options
    Had a new one put in last year and it was £1300 + VAT
  • Options
    When mine broke down, it ended up costing me £000's. As well as the boiler, I had to have the central heating system flushed through, a new hot water cylinder and the gas supply re-routed because it didn't meet with poxy European regulations on emissions...Good luck.
  • Options
    Ill text Ginger and see he works in that line of stuff
  • Options
    Ouch!
  • Options
    had a new Potterton combi two years ago and it was about £ 1200 fitted if I remember correctly. Got a number of the guy in Welling if you want it.
  • Options
    I'd get two or three quotes and expect upwards of £1500 for a combination/condenser boiler, depending on the size of boiler required etc.
  • Options
    had a ferroli combi, supplied and fitted (mate of a mate rates) £1050. that was 3 years ago.
  • Options
    If there is a silver lining for you the weather is relatively mild.

I had to have mine replaced when there was snow on the ground in February hence the rate goes up as you need it quick!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers for all of your comments chaps - particularly those who have offered/whispered contacts/numbers. I'm exploring a couple of options at the moment but might well take you up on your offers.

At least I know that I'm probably looking at approx £1.5-2k, so (hopefully)wont get ripped off!
  • Options
    got mine done last month, 1,000. a friend of a friend, right result!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]got mine done last month, 1,000. a friend of a friend, right result!
    Corgi registered?
  • Options
    no got that done myself separately.
  • Options
    to quote Hanoi Rocks:

"She's me boiler and I love her so
    never, ever gonna let her go
    I'm her boy and her toy
    she's me mate......................
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    go to bnq and get one of them solar panel thingys, piped through your emersion heater they provide 60% of your hot water (largely in summer). If you've got the space you could have two tanks one for kitchen one for bathroom, you might get more..

:)
  • Options
    Just had someone round and he's quoted me £1500 + VAT "although I can knock the VAT off for cash. By the way, what do you do for a living?"

I told him I was a VAT inspector. The poor fellas boat was a picture!
  • Options
    Does anyone here fix boilers or know someone who does ? I sound like Razil ....
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]Does anyone here fix boilers or know someone who does ? I sound like Razil ....

I can fix your boiler!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]What sort of boiler? Combo?

I'd imagine you won't get much change out of a grand... most of it being labour of course.

Not with British Gas you won't - 5 years ago maybe

My mother in law got a quote of 3.5k from British Gas. Asked the actual engineer , or I did, and he did it for half the price.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Get a second opinion had the same shit with them. They say u have 2 have new rads etc etc etc. I told the guy what i thought the fault was he didnt even check it. Went 2 a place in new eltham and got a new internal thermostate (boiler) and it cost £26 ! was quote new boiler etc etc etc etc. Took me 15 mins to put in.
  • Options
    Had a problem with a Vaillent Combi Boiler some time ago. Called up Vaillent who quoted £140.00 ex VAT for first hour, ex parts. When the guy arrived, i told him to ring his office and say no one was in. Seeing that he was from Vaillent, you could have rebuilt a Boiler with what he had in his van. £100 cash for 20 mins work and a couple of parts. Everyone's a winner. Even left me his number for "out of hours" work.
  • Options
    Got a Biasi combi about eight years ago. Packed up last winter (Xmas ****ing day of course) but managed to get a local bloke round after being recommended by a poster on the diynot.com forums. He came out Boxing day, looked the boiler over, saw what the problem was within fifteen minutes, toddled off to his van to get the part, fitted it and left - £60, all done and dusted in an hour. Net result? Every time anyone within a ten mile radius of my gaff needs a boiler repair I recommend him to them. Finding a decent, honest tradesman is a wonderful feeling - they're as rare as rocking horse shit in Croydon. if you're anywhere near Croydon, whisper me back and I'll give you his details.
  • Options
    British gas will charge you an arm and two bloody legs!

Don't touch 'em with a pole.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I got a combi boiler supplied and fitted two years ago for £1500.
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]Had a new one put in last year and it was £1300 + VAT

So about £1600-1700 just be glad of that 15% Vat instead of 17.5%
  • Options
    I'd stay well away from British Gas

I was really lucky - my Dad "acquired" a combi boiler for me (his line of work) and I got some local chap to install it. I lost the bill and he never chased me for payment. So in my case it was free.

Boiler you are looking at around £1000 and installation would have been around £300

Good luck getting it sorted
  • Options
    Dazzler21 - if you pay cash it's VAT free!
  • Options
    Retired Corgi engineer in this household. Feroli and Biasi loved by engineers - always packing up. Any installation has to be registered with CORGI, if you don't get an installation certificate you'll have trouble if and when you need to move. Not as easy as people make it sound. If the system is full of crap ( very black water), any decent installer will clean the system first - it's a requirement by boiler manufactueres but the cheapo merchants omit this step and don't put a quality inhibitor into the system once its installed. If it's not thoroughly cleaned out, crud enters the new boiler system and greatly shortens its life. Top be honest there are a lot of cowboys out there and they will cut corners and use cheap boilers. Plus it's not unknown for a certain company to say the boilers knackered when it could be fixed. Depends on boiler type and age. How old is the boiler and what make? We've got a Worcester Bosch boiler for very good reasons. Xmas is a bad time for this prob as prices go up. Legally you have to have a condensing boiler fitted. Beware some sharks who can pick up a non-condensing boiler and rip you off big time. Know one decent guy in Bexleyheath and that's about it! If we can help, just whisper.
  • Options
    My wife got a british gas bloke round, he suggested a boiler that was in Which magazine for about £800, he quoted about 3500 pounds and tried to say the controls and the labour (one day) would account for the extra £1800...when I told him to piss off, he took a picture of my page from Which magazine....poor bloke simply sent out to rip people off. Avoid and do some research.
  • Options
    my boiler is 19 years old, but have been told that it is now obsolete and that if anything goes wrong with it they will no longer be able to get the parts (Servowarm), it is leaking water (slight drips), not sure whether to go for a new boiler in the next three months or so or just wait till it goes caput. If i go for a new one can any one give any advice on reasonable priced and trustworthy fitters? Of course, like everyone else I am skint, having gone through various stages of unemployment in recent years. I notice that the gov't scrappage deal is now in force.