Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chef Wendy v Charlton | Sat 19 Mar | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Chef Wendy v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 19 March 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Stuart Attwell (Warwickshire)

Statement

Before I commence with this week’s Preview I’d just like to say the following:

Dear Fans, over the past few weeks, some individuals have come on to CharltonLife (hic), they have not posted fairly but instead came to create disorder and interfere with how the Match Preview is written. Disorder which was to try and drive a change in ownership of this thread and the management of this forum {…} I have written the majority of previews this season missing just the single one (hic), I have met with several different types of fan (from heating to halogen) and continue to believe that I can do this job.

Introduction
After the events of last night I thought I’d start this preview on a slightly light note but there was one bit of truth to come from yesterday’s Statement… At present the Addicks have picked up seven points from just three games, we sit just five points (two victories) from safety and from the prospect of dragging a further side into the fight for Championship survival (Fulham)… This is the last match before the final International Break of the season; let’s go into it with our rivals sweating.

This Saturday also sees us travel to Yorkshire (thankfully we only have to visit this county one more time), this weekend we play the should be League One Champions (yet you weren’t so shush!!) in Sheffield Wednesday.

The Opposition
Name: Sheffield Wednesday | Manager: Carlos Carvalhal
Ground: Hillsborough | Nickname: The Owls

When Charlton Athletic won League One, a strange rivalry was created between ourselves and our Yorkshire opponents… Many sides are seen as sleeping giants yet in truth it can’t be denied that Sheffield Wednesday are one of those sides… Ever since the Owls were relegated from the Premier League at the turn of the millennium, they’ve struggled, with various owners and managers they’ve drifted between the Championship and League One.

This season though and Sheffield Wednesday have spent big (by bringing in the cheating diver: Fernando Forrestieri), they currently sit in the final Play-Off spot and have the potential to return to the top flight this season, the potential for another Charlton three points is strong though… Little Chef have only won a single match in the last six and failure to be promoted this season could ensure an FFP fine, either way, both sides will need the points this Saturday which could fall nicely into our hands.

Charlton Team News
It’s tough to guess on the team at present, with so many fit players to choose from its hard to guess which direction Jose Riga will go in (whilst at the same time we still have plenty of injuries)… Having made two clean sheets in the space of a week it would be extremely harsh to drop Nick Pope, even after three points against Middlesbrough on Saturday prove its going to be hard to make any changes yet seeing Sheffield Wednesday are more physical than our last opponents (and with Yaya Sanogo still serving his suspension), we could see Simon Makienok come into the side with Ademola Lookman being dropped to the bench.

Pope
Motta … Fanni … Teixeira … Fox
Gudmundsson … Cousins … Diarra … Young
Makienok … Harriott

Substitutes Bench: Mitov … Lennon … Johnson … Bergdich … Poyet … Lookman … Ghoochannejhad

Prediction
Sheffield Wednesday 1-2 Charlton Athletic

I’m off to rest my sore head, bit tender this morning as god do people know how to party!!

Comments

• Options
    Have Jackson and Solly retired ?

We win 1-0

The goal a long awaited penalty after Lookman is brought down in the box
  • Options
    Shef Wed 0 - 1 Charlton

Think we'll scrape it.

The crowd will scream 'Motta Goal!'
  • Options
    My Previews will 99% come out prior to press day its impossible for me to tell who is fit or not.

Because of that I tend to go by who was fit for the previous game when producing my line-up (Unless of course its obvious that someone hobbled off in that match and is mentioned by Riga post match).

If its mentioned that Jackson / Solly are fit for Saturday then I will be amending my line-up
  • Options
    We won't fall foul of FFP fella regardless this season.
  • Options

Prediction?
  • Options

Have to admit its something that I've wondered all season which is why I wrote it.

How come your going to avoid the FFP fines etc.?

Lewis McGugan / Fernando Forestieri / Jack Hunt / Gary Hooper were all undisclosed but they must have demanded a decent fee (Wasnt the diving Italian about £3m) whilst your outgoing was Stevie May to Preston and Rhoys Wiggins for £200k
  • Options
    1-2 to CAFC
  • Options

Have to admit its something that I've wondered all season which is why I wrote it.

Lewis McGugan / Fernando Forestieri / Jack Hunt / Gary Hooper were all undisclosed but they must have demanded a decent fee (Wasnt the diving Italian about £3m) whilst your outgoing was Stevie May to Preston and Rhoys Wiggins for £200k
    Our losses for last season stood at £5m.

Player acquisitions and sales are done over the life of the agreement, ie we won't pay £3m for FF straight off, rather structured over say 3 years so that would be worth £1m per season.

Despite crowds not rising as much as expected our turnover is up as is commercial activities and TV monies.

Losses for FFP are to be £39m maximum over 3 seasons per the rule changes.

• Options

Player acquisitions and sales are done over the life of the agreement, ie we won't pay £3m for FF straight off, rather structured over say 3 years so that would be worth £1m per season.

Despite crowds not rising as much as expected our turnover is up as is commercial activities and TV monies.

So that prediction?
  • Options
    Harriott seemed to limp off on Sunday (the 74 minuters will have missed that!) is he ok?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

So that prediction?
    For the game ? I'd hope we'd win with ease but you beat us comfortably at yours in November and we've been patchy of late 1-1 draw
  • Options

Harriott seemed to limp off on Sunday (the 74 minuters will have missed that!) is he ok?

I wondered if that was cramp as he was down having his muscles stretched just prior to that.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

So that prediction?
    administration in 2019
  • Options
    0-2 Harriott with both.
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4_0.
  • Options
    0-1, Johann with a free kick
  • Options
    0-0. Another clean sheet but not enough. Three points is a must
  • Options
    Seriously though, does anyone really believe we can win? you bet your sweet bippy they do! 0-1 and only 2 points from safety
  • Options
    1-2 with well bitten nails
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We may have got 7 out of 9 points but I still don't think we are good enough against the best teams in this division. Fortunately we are playing Wednesday and we always beat them no matter what so 0-2 to Charlton
  • Options
    Looking forward to being back at Hillsborough, we need to practise our free kicks a bit first or bring JJ on for the last 10. Struggling to see us getting more then a draw but Im sure blind optimism will kick in one I'm on the M6.
  • Options
    Referee Stuart Shatwell more like. He has been dodgy against us but tbf to him he has been a bellend in our favour. We have had some exciting games up there in recent years. Maybe last season's game was not quite as exciting but hopefully we can get another good result. But hopefully not as heart stopping as Easter Monday 2 years back.
  • Options
    Given JJ trained last week hopefully he'll be available for the bench this week (and no more). Other than that, I'd bring in Mak for Lookman to provide better balance and hold up play up front, but would keep the same formation. Really thinking and hoping we'll do better against teams who attacked more, allowing us to sit deep, soak up pressure, then counter quickly.
  • Options
    I can't see us going four undefeated so I'm sorry to say I'm predicting a Wendies win.
  • Options
    2-1 defeat & deeper in the mire, fans to blame
  • Options
    1-0 hard fought win, mk dons have brighton at home so cant see them getting anything out of that, real chance for us to close the gap as it aint over yet.
  • Options
    I can't decide if we're losing heavily or sneaking a 0-1 with a second half goal, don't conceded early.