Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Straight Answer To Straight Question (POLL CLOSED)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:

Strongly suggest you don't as the result will be used by Roland and his apologists and trolls to blame the fans.

67% of fans want Charlton to fail will delight RD and KM.

Sorry, but this was a terrible idea.

90% of fans are so desparate to get rid of the old despot that they'd rather take a temporary setback than risk him being here any longer. That's the truth of the matter. The question is a measure of how unpopular the regime is, not how popular relegation is. They can spin it however they want, no-one is going to take them seriously. It's obvious to anyone that no football fan would choose relegation without something terrible being the alternative.

Sorry Henry, but there's no way I'd ask people to do a survey and not publish the results.
    That's not how it will be spun, mores the pity.

Poorly framed question and potentially damaging result.
  • Options
    Red or brown sauce?

Or;

Nothing at all.
  • Options
    Would you accept something that is almost certain to get something now that may not be on offer for some considerable time ?

You'd get a different result at the start of a season. Eg (assuming we get relegated) In August, would you accept relegation to L2 to get RD to sell up immediately ?
  • Options

Depends who your replacing him with though... Going down could see him sell up but equally could see us being sold to even worse.

It would be difficult to do but still manageable, just be careful when doing a deal with the devil

I struggle to think who ( realistically ) could be worse though FA?
  • Options
    I don't care if we have no money if we keep our soul and the owners buy into our ethos.
  • Options

Stig said:

Strongly suggest you don't as the result will be used by Roland and his apologists and trolls to blame the fans.

90% of fans are so desparate to get rid of the old despot that they'd rather take a temporary setback than risk him being here any longer. That's the truth of the matter. The question is a measure of how unpopular the regime is, not how popular relegation is. They can spin it however they want, no-one is going to take them seriously. It's obvious to anyone that no football fan would choose relegation without something terrible being the alternative.

Sorry Henry, but there's no way I'd ask people to do a survey and not publish the results.

Have a day off ffs

It was only a hypothetical question
  • Options
    The frustrating thing is that the option which will actually come about was not offered in the survey, ie Charlton going down and Roland not selling.

We all know RD us going to be the owner of a L1 club next season. And that might have been his plan all along.
  • Options

Stig said:

Have a day off ffs

Calm down

It was a poor question whether it was hypothetical or not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Look, I ain't got all night, I need to genuinely stain a bird table.......

Take away CAFC
    Take away RD
    Take away KM
    Take away the 2%
    Take away the 198

IF THE NOT VERY GOOD OWNER OF YOUR CLUB HINTED THAT HE WOULD SELL IF THE CLUB WENT DOWN, WOULD YOU TAKE RELEGATION TO GET HIM OUT?

• Options
    Stig said:

I agree.

To try and spin this survery as "Charlton fans want their team to fail", would mean making a huge PR own goal of drawing attention to the fact that 90 out of 100 fans surveyed were so unhappy at the moment that they would like to see relegation rather than another season of Roland in charge.

For what it's worth, the timing of the survey has probably impacted things somewhat as most of us are under no illusion that we are essentially relegated - we're just waiting for the maths to prove it as official.
  • Options

Stig said:

Have a day off ffs

I can understand Henry's concern, the club have become more direct in their criticism of the fans - and haven't issued any retraction to the statement which claimed that we wanted to see the club fail. Arguably, it would be quite easy for them to turn around and now say "Here's the proof, 90% of those involved in the protests have said they'd rather see us relegated! They aren't real fans. wibble wibble.".

As I mentioned above, personally I see that being unlikely as it requires them to draw attention to an unofficial survey that is pretty damning of them. However if they've demonstrated one thing, it's that their PR efforts are - at best - often naive and ill thought out.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Stig said:

Have a day off ffs

I can understand Henry's concern, the club have become more direct in their criticism of the fans - and haven't issued any retraction to the statement which claimed that we wanted to see the club fail. Arguably, it would be quite easy for them to turn around and now say "Here's the proof, 90% of those involved in the protests have said they'd rather see us relegated! They aren't real fans. wibble wibble.".

As I mentioned above, personally I see that being unlikely as it requires them to draw attention to an unofficial survey that is pretty damning of them. However if they've demonstrated one thing, it's that their PR efforts are - at best - often naive and ill thought out.
    If they genuinely used this thread and that poll to back up their theory, it would make em look an even bigger shower of shit than they are already proving to be.
  • Options

LuckyReds said:

Stig said:

Have a day off ffs

If they genuinely used this thread and that poll to back up their theory, it would make em look an even bigger shower of shit than they are already proving to be.
    That's my gut reaction too mate, anyone that clings to a poll saying "90% of people would like to see their team relegated just to see us fuck off" is clearly utter deluded. Alas - I wouldn't put it past these muppets.
  • Options
    Nearly all fans want RD to sell and are prepared to take almost any short term pain that achieves that necessary aim.
  • Options

Nearly all fans want RD to sell and are prepared to take almost any short term pain that achieves that necessary aim.

exactly. I think if we did a poll of how many fans would be happy to be kicked in the crutch by Roland so that he then leaves the club I think we would get a pretty high percentage that would say yes.
  • Options
    RD selling and us being relegated would feel like a paper cut on a winning lottery ticket.
  • Options
    If we didn't have stats like this they'd make them up anyway.... 2% anyone?
  • Options
    Okay, I'll take the bate since we're dancing around this: is this not anecdotal* evidence that some fans would like to see the club fail in the short term? Roland's statement is ridiculous, but I don't think he's entirely wrong on this point. Again, anecdotally, I've seen numerous people who comment on results with the likes of "don't care until these muppets are gone."

I don't think this is the majority by any stretch. And I don't necessarily disagree with the stance, but again, I don't think we can honestly look at ourselves and say "no one here wants the club to do poorly while run by Rolland."

I know that I am interpreting unverifiable data in a very strong fashion, and please understand THERE IS A LARGE ELEMENT OF PLAYING DEVIL'S ADVOCATE HERE, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

*Anecdotal is important here. This is in no way scientific, we can also debate how representative of Charlton's fan base CL is (though membership numbers are very impressive). Same for anecdotal observations in second para.**

**[...] still looks fucking ridiculous to put footnotes in an electronic communication.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

se9addick said:

I think he's less likely to sell if we go down

Why?
    a) fewer buyers in Legue One
    b) fewer decent buyers in League One
    c) he has more chance of getting away with his crazy model in League One
    d) smaller fan base (brought about by third tier football) may suit him if he has plans to develop the Valley/surrounding areas

People thinking there's a link between relegation and him selling are miles off in my humble opinion.
  • Options

Look, I ain't got all night, I need to genuinely stain a bird table.......

Take away CAFC
    Take away RD
    Take away KM
    Take away the 2%
    Take away the 198

IF THE NOT VERY GOOD OWNER OF YOUR CLUB HINTED THAT HE WOULD SELL IF THE CLUB WENT DOWN, WOULD YOU TAKE RELEGATION TO GET HIM OUT?

Possibly the best euphemism I have ever seen...
  • Options

Depends who your replacing him with though... Going down could see him sell up but equally could see us being sold to even worse.

It would be difficult to do but still manageable, just be careful when doing a deal with the devil

I struggle to think who ( realistically ) could be worse though FA?
    Oh I do too...

It might not be realistic but would people happily replace RD with a Sheikh.

We'd have lots of money to spend but the latter will quite possibly want to see Charlton in a bigger ground to attract bigger attendances, its like I say we've got to be careful when doing a deal with the devil as either situation could leave us:

(1) With Roland who could ruin Charlton yet leave us in the Valley
    (2) With the Sheikh we could have Charlton yet be left with no Valley

Neither are great deals to be left with but when are people left with the perfect scenario these days
  • Options
    Let's not fool ourselves than if/when Roland sells whoever buys Charlton will be British or care a toss about the club. It will be an investment and they will expect returns. Agreed, they are unlikely to be as arrogant/stubborn/stupid/Belgian as Duchatalet, but nor will they be angelic. The real plus for a new owner will be that Duchatalet has run the club down so far that much of the fight from fans will have been sapped and they will welcome anyone with open arms.
  • Options
    mogodon said:

Let's not fool ourselves than if/when Roland sells whoever buys Charlton will be British or care a toss about the club. It will be an investment and they will expect returns. Agreed, they are unlikely to be as arrogant/stubborn/stupid/Belgian as Duchatalet, but nor will they be angelic. The real plus for a new owner will be that Duchatalet has run the club down so far that much of the fight from fans will have been sapped and they will welcome anyone with open arms.

Abramovich and Al Mubarak don't seem particularly bothered about a return on their investment.

(we can but dream...)
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Take away CAFC
    Take away RD
    Take away KM
    Take away the 2%
    Take away the 198

Possibly the best euphemism I have ever seen...

Had (and that ain't a euphemism) in brackets, but deleted it last minute
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    But all fans would like to see him sell and we stay up. Nobdody wants us to lose or indeed get relegated - only saying it would be worth it if it got rid of him. But we have no reason to assume going down would make that outcome more likely. So the message from the survey is that supporters think the owner is so damaging for the club that they think relegation would be beneficial if he was to sell as a result. If the club want to try to spin it any other way, they would look desperate and foolish. No supporter wants their club to fail. That is obvious.