Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• edited June 2021
    Just seen a news report on last night's farce, sorry exhibition match. It looked from the news report that Floyd was holding the guy up at one point!!!! 

Totally shocked to discover the result :wink:

I guess that means there'll have to be a rematch.  Me cynical??  Never!!

I watched it (also decided to start work double early as a result). The news report you read is wholly incorrect  :)

There wasn't a result as there were no judges, and whilst Paul never really challenged Mayweather (other than a left in the first that seemed to have Floyd having an "okay" moment) he didn't really get presented with much in the way of an offence from Floyd either.

Paul's size was an obvious concern for Floyd and he steered well clear in the first 3 rounds. After that he started trying to figure him out by fainting a lot but with little end product (considering we're talking about Mayweather here). He worked Paul's body okay but Paul never once looked in trouble.

Floyd has quite visibly lost an edge (father time catches up with all of us so completely understandable).

I've seen worse fights, to be fair.
    I watched it today (really slow day at work). Logan was very clearly wobbled and Floyd did his best to keep him up. 

Floyd and logan without a doubt had a gentlemens agreement that he wouldn't drop him and mayweather at no point tried to get him out of there. Turned up, made it look like there was a chance of logan getting something... logan gets bragging rights to his followers (plus is considerably richer) and Floyd walks out 100 mil richer and had a nice easy night
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Just seen a news report on last night's farce, sorry exhibition match. It looked from the news report that Floyd was holding the guy up at one point!!!! 

I watched it (also decided to start work double early as a result). The news report you read is wholly incorrect  :)

There wasn't a result as there were no judges, and whilst Paul never really challenged Mayweather (other than a left in the first that seemed to have Floyd having an "okay" moment) he didn't really get presented with much in the way of an offence from Floyd either.

Paul's size was an obvious concern for Floyd and he steered well clear in the first 3 rounds. After that he started trying to figure him out by fainting a lot but with little end product (considering we're talking about Mayweather here). He worked Paul's body okay but Paul never once looked in trouble.

Floyd has quite visibly lost an edge (father time catches up with all of us so completely understandable).

I watched it today (really slow day at work). Logan was very clearly wobbled and Floyd did his best to keep him up. 

Floyd and logan without a doubt had a gentlemens agreement that he wouldn't drop him and mayweather at no point tried to get him out of there. Turned up, made it look like there was a chance of logan getting something... logan gets bragging rights to his followers (plus is considerably richer) and Floyd walks out 100 mil richer and had a nice easy night
    Maybe I need to watch it back as I'd had a few beers before nodding off for a few hours before the fight started.

Don't remember seeing Paul wobbled but happy to be corrected  :)

Re the gentleman's, quite possibly but it did also look like Mayweather was trying to solve the puzzle of a much bigger person and really not wanting to get hit (again, understandable) but not really being able to do so (maybe I'm not being cynical enough, which would be a fair point).
  • CAFCsayer said:

Maybe I need to watch it back as I'd had a few beers before nodding off for a few hours before the fight started.

Re the gentleman's, quite possibly but it did also look like Mayweather was trying to solve the puzzle of a much bigger person and really not wanting to get hit (again, understandable) but not really being able to do so (maybe I'm not being cynical enough, which would be a fair point).
    I believe Logan was quoted afterwards as saying something like "I'll go home now and reflect on whether or not Floyd allowed me to stay upright!".

I haven't seen the 'fight' and probably won't lose too much sleep if I never see the 'fight'. Good luck to both of them making serious wedge, but the whole thing smacks of WWE rather than the Marquis of Queensbury! 
  • bobmunro said:
    CAFCsayer said:

I believe Logan was quoted afterwards as saying something like "I'll go home now and reflect on whether or not Floyd allowed me to stay upright!".

I haven't seen the 'fight' and probably won't lose too much sleep if I never see the 'fight'. Good luck to both of them making serious wedge, but the whole thing smacks of WWE rather than the Marquis of Queensbury! 
    There is probably more money to be earned going down the WWE path. Money gets a bigger hold on boxing year after year.

If you listen to any discussion on the 'sport' radio station Talksport about boxing money occupies an unhealthy part of the discussion. Trying to set up Joshua v Fury is like a pantomime.
  • Just found this topic so a trip down memory lane.I had an uncle who was an ex boxer,who took me to my first ever show at Wembley arena,what an atmosphere,top of the bill was Brian London and Nuno Valdes,a little way down was Terry Downes and John Mccormac a 6ft plus gangling fighter,Terry could not get near him and in the end slammed him in the bollocks and got disqualified.Then they had the nobbins tradition,if an under card fight was good value,nobbins would be lobbed into the ring in appreciation,as these guys made little money.Also remember " Nosher Powell" a famed journeyman who somehow seemed to be on every bill,and loved fighting.
    Nino Valdez was a very good fighter. He got beat on a split decision by Archie Moore in an eliminator to fight Patterson for the vacant world title. Might even have beaten Patterson  in my opinion. 
  • From what I saw of it, it was as much a boxing fight as that bit in Rocky III where Balboa takes on Thunderlips. 

I'm sure it's good entertainment for fans of the YouTuber, but it hardly even warrants being on this thread. 
  • edited June 2021
    Just found this topic so a trip down memory lane.I had an uncle who was an ex boxer,who took me to my first ever show at Wembley arena,what an atmosphere,top of the bill was Brian London and Nuno Valdes,a little way down was Terry Downes and John Mccormac a 6ft plus gangling fighter,Terry could not get near him and in the end slammed him in the bollocks and got disqualified.Then they had the nobbins tradition,if an under card fight was good value,nobbins would be lobbed into the ring in appreciation,as these guys made little money.Also remember " Nosher Powell" a famed journeyman who somehow seemed to be on every bill,and loved fighting.
    Nothing wrong with memory lane thickandthin63.   Brian London who led with his chin was one of a clutch of British heavyweights who kept themselves  busy fighting each other in the 1950s.  Joe Erskine, Dick Richardson and Don Cockell come to mind.  Remember Cockells fight with Marciano which wasn’t sanctioned by the BBBC?  Cockell acquitted himself well going about 8 rounds I think it was.  Soon after his return to London Cockell fought Nino Valdez and I thought at the time this should be a bit easier.  Positioned myself with ear to the radio and listened as Cockell was stopped in three rounds.

Back to Brian London though.  Remember his exciting fight with Willie Pastrano.  A great fighter v boxer battle.  Cann’t remember who won though.
  • bobmunro said:
    CAFCsayer said:

There is probably more money to be earned going down the WWE path. Money gets a bigger hold on boxing year after year.

If you listen to any discussion on the 'sport' radio station Talksport about boxing money occupies an unhealthy part of the discussion. Trying to set up Joshua v Fury is like a pantomime.
    no chance, the money Mayweather earned for this fight? Might get it in WWE over a couple of hours and special appearances or so but wrestlers work bloody hard. Mayweather didn't even need to train to get in the ring with this idiot, easy money for him. WWE wrestlers do pretty well but still much more money for the bigger boxers. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Like him or not, it's hard to disagree with much of what he says here.

• McBobbin said:
    There is some truth in this... Would also say that insane judging and homer decisions don't help
    Is it only me...I couldn’t but read that singing it in OFAH stylee...😬🤔
  • McBobbin said:
    There is some truth in this... Would also say that insane judging and homer decisions don't help
    Is it only me...I couldn’t but read that singing it in OFAH stylee...😬🤔
    Hahaha it goes!
  • bobmunro said:
    CAFCsayer said:

no chance, the money Mayweather earned for this fight? Might get it in WWE over a couple of hours and special appearances or so but wrestlers work bloody hard. Mayweather didn't even need to train to get in the ring with this idiot, easy money for him. WWE wrestlers do pretty well but still much more money for the bigger boxers. 
    Boxing is supposedly a serious sport but if it goes down the pantomime route like the Mayweather fight it will lose further credibility. 
  • bobmunro said:
    CAFCsayer said:

Boxing is supposedly a serious sport but if it goes down the pantomime route like the Mayweather fight it will lose further credibility. 
    Everyone who understands and loves boxing readily accepts this as a non-boxing story. If Mayweather took part in 'Strictly' it would have about as much to do with boxing as this farce does. 
  • Just found this topic so a trip down memory lane.I had an uncle who was an ex boxer,who took me to my first ever show at Wembley arena,what an atmosphere,top of the bill was Brian London and Nuno Valdes,a little way down was Terry Downes and John Mccormac a 6ft plus gangling fighter,Terry could not get near him and in the end slammed him in the bollocks and got disqualified.Then they had the nobbins tradition,if an under card fight was good value,nobbins would be lobbed into the ring in appreciation,as these guys made little money.Also remember " Nosher Powell" a famed journeyman who somehow seemed to be on every bill,and loved fighting.
    Nothing wrong with memory lane thickandthin63.   Brian London who led with his chin was one of a clutch of British heavyweights who kept themselves  busy fighting each other in the 1950s.  Joe Erskine, Dick Richardson and Don Cockell come to mind.  Remember Cockells fight with Marciano which wasn’t sanctioned by the BBBC?  Cockell acquitted himself well going about 8 rounds I think it was.  Soon after his return to London Cockell fought Nino Valdez and I thought at the time this should be a bit easier.  Positioned myself with ear to the radio and listened as Cockell was stopped in three rounds.

Back to Brian London though.  Remember his exciting fight with Willie Pastrano.  A great fighter v boxer battle.  Cann’t remember who won though.
    Just checked,Pastrano won on points,the ref was the judge.Your right about memory lane,my uncle who I mentioned was a gentleman called Laurie Guard who live in Cherry Orchard,he was a pro boxer for a short while,and his first fight was against a fine boxer of many weights,Len Harvey.I have hazy memories of the fighters of that era,but there always seemed to be a fight of some interest going on,my dad got me up at about 3 in the morning to listen to cockell v marciano.
  • I'm not bothered about mayweather fighting Paul. At least the Paul brothers are taking it seriously.

Remember when Muhammed Ali fought Antonio Inoki? Now that was a farce
  • bobmunro said:
    CAFCsayer said:

What about when Robbie Williams and Olly Murs play on a football pitch against players like Zidane? Did Boxing become a pantomime sport when Ali was doing exhibitions? Tennis has men v women exhibitions. 

I don't disagree the Mayweather fight was a joke, but a lot of it was aimed at non Boxing fans, such as the Youtube clowns who follow Paul. 
  • bobmunro said:
    CAFCsayer said:

What about when Robbie Williams and Olly Murs play on a football pitch against players like Zidane? Did Boxing become a pantomime sport when Ali was doing exhibitions? Tennis has men v women exhibitions. 

I don't disagree the Mayweather fight was a joke, but a lot of it was aimed at non Boxing fans, such as the Youtube clowns who follow Paul. 
    Were they getting paid vast sums? 
  • bobmunro said:
    CAFCsayer said:

But what is that relevance, other than people getting annoyed someone is earning a lot of money for a pointless exhibition? 
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    CAFCsayer said:

But what is that relevance, other than people getting annoyed someone is earning a lot of money for a pointless exhibition? 
    Because the direction of boxing has increasingly put money first rather than the integrity of the sport - there wasn't the proliferation of belts and promoters quite so obsessed with making sure fighters avoided each other. Just my view.
  • bobmunro said:
    CAFCsayer said:

Because the direction of boxing has increasingly put money first rather than the integrity of the sport - there wasn't the proliferation of belts and promoters quite so obsessed with making sure fighters avoided each other. Just my view.
    That's fair, especially about money for the promoters and avoiding opponents. Having said that, how many sports could we have the same discussion about money? Cricketers playing in the IPL, footballers etc. 
  • bobmunro said:
    CAFCsayer said:

Twas ever thus - nothing new, just bigger sums involved. Anecdotally, Joe Louis was paid $999,999 for a fight in the 30s and said to the promoter 'I'll give you a dollar bill, make the cheque out for a million'!

Integrity of the sport? Not sure there was much integrity of the sport when Jack Johnson fought James Jeffries!!

There have always been chancers, villains, and other ne'er-do-wells involved in boxing - part of the attraction!!  
  • edited June 2021
    Mike Costello new lead commentator for DAZN 😁

Can finally watch their fights without the commentary turned off
  • The Fight Camp card announcements were very underwhelming I must say, especially since Eddie Hearn hyped it up so much and considering it's the first UK DAZN event. 

And they had the cheek to charge £750, yes £750 for a ticket! 

• CAFCsayer said:

They've announced Maya Jama as well. I'm assuming not for her insight
  • Croydon said:
    CAFCsayer said:

They've announced Maya Jama as well. I'm assuming not for her insight
    She has a couple of good points!
  • Have just watched the full Clay v Cooper fight on utube.  Henry knocking Cassius Clay down at the end of the 4th round must surely rank as one of the moments in British sport.

Henry was notoriously a slow starter but he started well against Clay and had a great first round.  Unfortunately in the second he suffered a cut underneath his left eye.  In the third the cut was above the eye too and Clay started to taunt him with arms down at his side and dancing around to the annoyance of his corner who called on him to get back to work.

The eye got worse in the fourth and the commentators were wondering how long it would be before the ref stepped in.  But right at the end of the round - 3 seconds to go - Henry sent Cassius Clay down through the ropes and back in his corner Clay hardly knew where he was.  The infamous torn glove episode lengthened the time between rounds by 5 seconds giving Clay extra time to recover.  In later years Angelo Dundee admitted that the torn glove had been made worse.

In the fifth the ref stepped in with Cooper’s eye the worst the commentators had seen.

But that knockdown in front of 40-50,000 at Wembley Stadium a moment to savour.
  • I've got a signed picture of Sir Henry standing over him after the knock-down
  • That’s so cool Croydon.  Celebrities were more accessible in those days weren’t they.  I seem to remember hearing Henry was a regular at his local fish and chip shop.