Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    After CharltonLife the fight news.com website is my go-to for boxing information. 

Something I read today which I found interesting is that in most jurisdictions the official judging score cards are given to the fighters’ corners - and sometimes the public - after the 4th and 8th rounds.  The exceptions to this practice are the US and UK.

Good idea do you think?
  • Options
    After CharltonLife the fight news.com website is my go-to for boxing information. 

Something I read today which I found interesting is that in most jurisdictions the official judging score cards are given to the fighters’ corners - and sometimes the public - after the 4th and 8th rounds.  The exceptions to this practice are the US and UK.

Good idea do you think?
    I think so. Would certainly make for some interesting last rounds if a fighter officially knows he's losing.

I also think judges should be made to explain their scorecards, just as i also think that referees in football should be made to explain their decisions post-match. I don't get why they're pretty much unaccountable. Give a terrible decision, or a dodgy scorecard and then just fuck off home. Why not get these guys to explain things?
  • Options
    Personally I'd like to see every scorecard shown after each round. 
  • Options

Good idea do you think?
    I think so. Would certainly make for some interesting last rounds if a fighter officially knows he's losing.

I also think judges should be made to explain their scorecards, just as i also think that referees in football should be made to explain their decisions post-match. I don't get why they're pretty much unaccountable. Give a terrible decision, or a dodgy scorecard and then just fuck off home. Why not get these guys to explain things?
    Referees, have a much harder job with football as they are seeing and reacting to things in real time, things that happen really quickly now. That is why I think VAR should only be used for things like touch and go penalties or last man fouls and even then it should be the referee watching a screen rather than faceless bods watching lines for a toenail being offside by millimetres. In boxing I totally agree judges should have to explain how they scored a fight the way they did. It isn't fair on fighters to have any ambiguity and is fair for them to understand what each judge likes. 

The WBC had an experiment years ago where they read the judges scorecards out in the breaks 
  • Options
    117-111 on

Good idea do you think?

Or the complete opposite. If someone knows theyre 2 rounds up going into the last theyre just going to try to box defensively and tie up in clinches for 3 minutes. Don't like that at all
  • Options
    Carter said:

Good idea do you think?

Referees, have a much harder job with football as they are seeing and reacting to things in real time, things that happen really quickly now. That is why I think VAR should only be used for things like touch and go penalties or last man fouls and even then it should be the referee watching a screen rather than faceless bods watching lines for a toenail being offside by millimetres. In boxing I totally agree judges should have to explain how they scored a fight the way they did. It isn't fair on fighters to have any ambiguity and is fair for them to understand what each judge likes. 

The WBC had an experiment years ago where they read the judges scorecards out in the breaks 
    Yes i do agree with that, and i don't mean every decision and i guess i mean the VAR's explaining decisions. Even with VAR we're seeing some penalties given that look dodgy, or not given when they look like should, i don't see why these officials aren't made to explain their reasoning. Making them publicly accountable i think might help the process.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Good idea do you think?

Yes i do agree with that, and i don't mean every decision and i guess i mean the VAR's explaining decisions. Even with VAR we're seeing some penalties given that look dodgy, or not given when they look like should, i don't see why these officials aren't made to explain their reasoning. Making them publicly accountable i think might help the process.
    Yes, that I completely agree with. The referees aren't blameless as they are definitely bottling or at least deferring decisions knowing the chimps in the box will make it for them. 

What I always appreciated when playing was refs telling us what they didn't like, anyone who is about my age and played in the Medway leagues will.have encountered Geoff Foord and swearing was his thing, even swearing at yourself in frustration was enough for a booking and a c bomb was a straight red, any back chatting was also a card. Perform a mortal combat-esque finishing move on someone and it was "play on" and as a consequence everyone on the pitch knew where they stood (not near our Polish centre half on a corner!). 

Ian John Lewis went on George Grove's podcast last week and whilst being very honest I dont think he painted himself in a good light as a judge explaining his scoring for Taylor v Catterall 1 
  • Options
    Bizarre performance from Richards in the first fight of the 5x5. So pedestrian 
  • Options
    Big fan of Nick Ball… unbelievable work rate. Hope he goes on to win
  • Options
    Big fan of Nick Ball… unbelievable work rate. Hope he goes on to win
    Cracking fight. What a last round! Ford just nicked it for me but wouldn't be upset to see it go to Ball
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 1
    Such a close fight but great to watch. Ball’s aggression alone will win him rounds, what an engine he has
  • Options
    Looking like a bad decision from Frank to captain Sheeraz, totally outclassed at the moment.
  • Options
    Sheeraz getting into it now.
  • Options
    I reckon Hrgovic stops Dubois
  • Options
    Great win for Dubois! Hrgovic's conditioning looked off from early 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Great win for Dubois! Hrgovic's conditioning looked off from early 
    Great win indeed, really coming along in his last couple fights. For someone who had a bad stoppage with his fractured eye socket, he’s not afraid to take a punch and came forward all night. Credit to him 
  • Options
    And still only 26. A relative baby in heavyweight terms.
  • Options
    Looks like Fury took Wilder's heart and chin in their fights. 
  • Options
    Looks like Fury took Wilder's heart and chin in their fights. 
    That’s four defeats in his last five for Wilder, done now surely. 

I guess we’ll see how popular AJ still is if he manages to sell out Wembley Vs Dubois, I like Daniel as a boxer but he’s not exactly a ticket seller personally wise. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2
    Fair play to Wilder, he had a devastating KO ability, made a lot of money and can retire a rich man, which is probably a lot more than he thought he'd do considering he didn't take up boxing until he was 20.

Taking up the sport so late probably explains why he was ultimately not a very good boxer though. Also i'd say probably at least 35 of his fights were against guys ranked outside the top 20, and despite his KO record, can anyone claim he actually beat a single decent fighter? Maybe Luis Ortiz but even he was almost 40 years old.
  • Options
    Fair play to Wilder, he had a devastating KO ability, made a lot of money and can retire a rich man, which is probably a lot more than he thought he'd do considering he didn't take up boxing until he was 20.

Taking up the sport so late probably explains why he was ultimately not a very good boxer though. Also i'd say probably at least 35 of his fights were against guys ranked outside the top 20, and despite his KO record, can anyone claim he actually beat a single decent fighter? Maybe Luis Ortiz but even he was almost 40 years old.
    The thing with Wilder was the x factor of that right hand equaliser, he'd seemingly happily get his head boxed off knowing he would get a chance to land something horrible and more often than not he did. He never made to hide thats what he was about and I appreciated him for it. For what its worth while Joshua might have fancied the fight, Hearn was not letting him within a mile of Wilder. 

The comment about his opposition is a fair one but how many people starched Stiverne, Ortiz, Breazeale, Helenius. Not many 

I hope he retires now with enough money to pay the US healthcare cartel whatever he has to ensuring his child is looked after. He also saved American heavyweight boxing at a time it very much needed saving and still does in my opinion. 

Dubois v Joshua is a stinker of a fight, Dubois is too easy to hit and Joshua is too scared of getting hit/hurt since Ruiz tuned him up. He is a better boxer than Dubois though and will send us all to sleep sniping from a safe distance for 12 rounds. 

I was impressed with Dubois last night, not for his technique more for the stones he has shown in his last 2 fights, shows he hasn't learned how not to get hit but has shown he isn't afraid of getting hit to land something unpleasant on his opponent and Hrgovic is a credible opponent 
  • Options
    Carter said:

The thing with Wilder was the x factor of that right hand equaliser, he'd seemingly happily get his head boxed off knowing he would get a chance to land something horrible and more often than not he did. He never made to hide thats what he was about and I appreciated him for it. For what its worth while Joshua might have fancied the fight, Hearn was not letting him within a mile of Wilder. 

The comment about his opposition is a fair one but how many people starched Stiverne, Ortiz, Breazeale, Helenius. Not many 

I hope he retires now with enough money to pay the US healthcare cartel whatever he has to ensuring his child is looked after. He also saved American heavyweight boxing at a time it very much needed saving and still does in my opinion. 

Dubois v Joshua is a stinker of a fight, Dubois is too easy to hit and Joshua is too scared of getting hit/hurt since Ruiz tuned him up. He is a better boxer than Dubois though and will send us all to sleep sniping from a safe distance for 12 rounds. 

I was impressed with Dubois last night, not for his technique more for the stones he has shown in his last 2 fights, shows he hasn't learned how not to get hit but has shown he isn't afraid of getting hit to land something unpleasant on his opponent and Hrgovic is a credible opponent 
    Not sure I agree with you there, think AJ stops Dubois quite comfortably. He is way too easy to hit and AJ hits a lot harder than Joe Joyce. Can see him stopping him with a straight down the middle relatively early
  • Options
    Can't see where the next exciting fights are coming from in the heavyweight division. Usyk fury 2, and possibly Fury AJ, then what? Who is left for Usky to fight? Parker has maybe earned it more, possibly Zhang. Nothing to make the mouth water
  • Options
    edited June 2
    Usyk retires after beating Fury again imo. There's no one left. 

Joshua v Fury then they both retire too. Or Fury retires and Joshua has a year or two being 'the man'. 

Parker has probably earned another title shot but other than that it's slim pickings. 

Looking likely to be Joshua v Dubois next. Then Fury v Usyk. Then maybe winners fight? If Usyk/Fury don't retire. 
  • Options
    Nothing particularly mouth watering 
  • Options

Joshua v Fury then they both retire too. Or Fury retires and Joshua has a year or two being 'the man'. 

Parker has probably earned another title shot but other than that it's slim pickings. 

Looking likely to be Joshua v Dubois next. Then Fury v Usyk. Then maybe winners fight? If Usyk/Fury don't retire. 

I think both Fury and Usyk retire after the rematch (where Usyk will stop Fury) - assuming Joshua beats Dubois then there is no appetite for Joshua/Usyk and Usyk has nobody else worth fighting.

Maybe then Joshua fights Zhang or Parker for one or more of the vacant belts, but as @McBobbin says there is nothing mouthwatering there!
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Carter said:

Not sure I agree with you there, think AJ stops Dubois quite comfortably. He is way too easy to hit and AJ hits a lot harder than Joe Joyce. Can see him stopping him with a straight down the middle relatively early
    I'd like to see Joshua do that but I just have a feeling in my gut he will play it safe. Dubois does seem like he can really hurt people with a clean right hand and to me seems heavy handed which will be enough for Joshua to keep his distance. Dubois throws combinations too which Joshua definitely does not like 
  • Options
    I mean there's always someone like Agit Kabayel or Jared Anderson but neither of them pose any challenge I wouldn't have thought. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I think both Fury and Usyk retire after the rematch (where Usyk will stop Fury) - assuming Joshua beats Dubois then there is no appetite for Joshua/Usyk and Usyk has nobody else worth fighting.

Maybe then Joshua fights Zhang or Parker for one or more of the vacant belts, but as @McBobbin says there is nothing mouthwatering there!
    Part of me thinks Fury will learn from the first fight and might be able to do enough to edge the rematch. People are forgetting he was up on all the scorecards after round 7. If he is able to do that, then they will almost certainly then have a third fight 'decider'.

But yes i completely agree that if Usyk wins the rematch then they will both retire.