Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Another award for Katrien Meire

2»

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:

I wish all of you would just leave her alone, she's only trying to do her job

No Roland movie yet? Clearly the woman is incompetent and not fit to be associated with a visionary.
  • Options

cabbles said:

No Roland movie yet? Clearly the woman is incompetent and not fit to be associated with a visionary.
    What about "Roland - The Musical"?

You could nick a couple of songs, with a couple of minor changes, like Roland for "Lola" and Riga for "Rico" (Tony can remain) in Copacabana. It's not like anyone would notice or anything....

Put Roland in some feathers and "a dress cut down to there", and we'd be sorted.
  • Options
    She has helped changed the climate at The Valley so how about

http://www.pinocchio-awards.org
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Has it been said that it relates to her time here?

Yes!

see below
    Auto-Translated extract from the KU press release

VRG-Alumni Prize 2016 goes to Katrien Meire (PhD 2007). With less than ten professional years at the counter she was already on a varied and surprising career path...................(now you can find her in) Greenwich, on and around The Valley, home of Charlton Athletic FC in the English Football League, namely as CEO of this English club tradition. With the award of the Alumni Price VRG-Alumni will recognize its special course. Katrien Meire left the obvious path and went all out for an ambitious and not always obvious role in a world that too often is surprised when an enthusiastic and energetic young lady in the field...............KU Leuven

The prize is very linked firmly to her achievement in becoming a CEO (at Charlton Athletic) but this appointment was made by Roland D and was less about her ability to do the job than about her special relationship with RD which saw him see fit to appoint someone with zero experience in dealing with the responsibilities and requirements of the job.
    Is it any wonder that she has proved to be a disaster but she has not helped herself by her crass comments about the club and its fans and her inability to accept where there has been failure and address it.
    Rather she carries on as if nothing is amiss and blames everybody but herself when things go awry.

I would give the benefit of the doubt to anyone who would make the effort to understand that they need to offer some sort of apology and try however late to correct their mishandling and errors in office. We see no sign of this from KM just a stubborn insistence on carrying on in her own arrogant way implementing policies that she should rightly question as a proper functioning CEO and watching on grinning as the club's supporters turn against her in droves, as sponsors desert her and as the protests increase.

Certainly won't apologise for any legal action which exposes the inadequacies of the this CEO or which draws attention to the many stupid comments she has made of which the 'don't care' one is the greatest insult imaginable IMO and one which if the CEO of a Premiership Club made would be back page headlines.
    Can you imagine the CEO of Liverpool saying I don't care about the history of the club (or its long term fans)?
  • Options
    What about the {...} award for her?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Dazzler21 said:

Many on CL will know that KM received an award for her 'achievements' from her old university in Belgium earlier this month. That award from KU Leuven is currently being challenged by Charlton fans with letters to the Governing bodies there requesting that they re-consider the award in the light of KMs disastrous record as CEO which clearly has not been widely reported on in the ancient campus and hallowed halls of the University.

This is a personal attack, this has nothing to do with us and find it a bit pathetic to be honest.

Sure protest against everything they do with their club, but don't disrupt their personal lives, that's harassment.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of digs for saying this but it had to be said.

We all dislike what they are doing here, but they won't be around long if we keep up the pressure against what they do here.
    She's won an award - and looked at as something of a success by her university - purely based on her "achievements" here.

As those who have been directly affected by her actions here, we have every right to ask for KU Leuven to reconsider their stance. That she should be able to point to an award to signify some form of success is disgusting.

She's achieved nothing, and actively taken the club backwards. If that's worthy of an award then I feel sorry for other KU Leuven alumni.
  • Options

I am serious about commissioning such an award but I'm not sure how/when it could be presented in a way which would achieve press coverage.

Tie a bag of s**t to the award and then lob it at her while she sits at the back of the directors' box (taking care not to hit any of the minders she now surrounds herself with). That would certainly get the necessary coverage (downside being a lifetime ban, but at the moment that might not be a bad thing)

• Options
    edited March 2016
    VRG-Alumni Prize 2016 goes to Katrien Meire (PhD 2007). With less than ten professional years at the counter she was already on a varied and surprising career path

What did she do before coming here? from 2007 - Dec 2013?

She did all of the following:

Legal and International Relations Manager
    Standard de Liège
    September 2013 – September 2014 (1 year 1 month)
    Associate
    Baker & McKenzie
    March 2013 – October 2013 (8 months)Brussels Area, Belgium
    Associate
    Olswang
    March 2011 – February 2013 (2 years)

Competition and Regulatory Group
    Trainee
    White & Case

September 2010 – February 2011 (6 months)
    Legal Intern
    Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
    April 2010 – August 2010 (5 months)
    Legal Intern
    European Commission (DG COMP)
    October 2009 – February 2010 (5 months)
    Legal Intern
    September 2008 – August 2009 (1 year)

So she was working her way up from intern to Associate level before joining SL and started here whilst still working there.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

VRG-Alumni Prize 2016 goes to Katrien Meire (PhD 2007). With less than ten professional years at the counter she was already on a varied and surprising career path

Standard de Liège
    Associate
    Baker & McKenzie
    Associate
    Olswang

Trainee
    White & Case

Legal Intern
    Legal Intern
    Legal Intern

So she was working her way up from intern to Associate level before joining SL and started here whilst still working there.

Dazzler, I admire your determination seemingly to justify KM's 2016 Alumni award but once again I cannot agree with where you are going with it.

All of the legal appointments are irrelevant to the case. The Alumni award was made specifically because she moved away from the legal profession and in the eyes of the University became good in the business world. This is made clear in the KU press release which suffers a bit in translation but I note that you have quoted only one sentence from it and not those which make clear why she has been awarded the prize which is essentially a recognition of success in her chosen field (which is business not law). Look again at the text (its found earlier in this thread.

No, what is much more relevant is her performance in her role as CEO at Charlton and to a lesser extent at SL. No point in going over again her performance here which is shocking in anybodies estimation.
    At SL she had the title of International Relations Manager I believe but I think we are led to believe that her role there was initially in competition law leading in TV rights negotiations and quite possibly other areas of competition. Don't have chapter and verse on this but it is a big and one would say highly risky leap to go from that to the CEO of a major football club in London. Yes, good for her on being appointed but it doesn't end there if you then go on to make your business a laughing stock and act in a manner which no self-respecting businessman or woman would contemplate. Is that a measure of success?

KU thought they had found someone worthy of a prize as an example of one of their graduates who found success in the business world and it would look good for them and their institution. They made one fatal mistake. They did not follow up what was happening in England and even a rudimentary web search of her name brings up the link 'How Roland Duchatelet and Katrien Meire are killing Charlton Athletic.

Bit of a clue there don't you think?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler, I can understand where you're coming from, but maybe you shouldn't be so disingenuous as to selectively quote the press release in the way you have?

I've italicised the bit you've quoted, but bolded the (rather larger) section on her involvement with Charlton Athletic and the way she is supposedly a "living example" of what you can do with a law degree with KU Leuven.
    VRG-Alumni Price 2016 goes to Katrien Meire (PhD 2007). With less than ten professional years at the counter she was already a varied and surprising career path. Daisy started her career according to a traditional recipe and tested: in the harsh legal sector, as a practitioner of competition laws by the European Commission and some renowned law firms. But in the meantime you can find her back in Greenwich, on and around The Valley, home of Charlton Athletic FC in the English Football League, namely as CEO of this English club tradition. With the award of the Alumni Price VRG-Alumni will recognize its special course. Katrien Meire left the obvious path and went all out for an ambitious and not always obvious role in a world that too often is surprised when an enthusiastic and energetic young lady in the field, in the lodges or at the negotiating table appears and there, even in turbulent waters, knows how to stand her ground. She is a living example that you can strike the most diverse ways with a law degree, that can quickly and gender nor age there today to have to stand in the way, even in bastions where it remained until recently very tough hurdles . The award will be presented at the academic session to mark the 23th VRG-Alumni Day on Friday, March 11th 2016. The eulogy pronounced by Dimitri Droshout (PhD 1999), Head of Legal Department KU Leuven.
    It personally fills me with frustration that her actions at Charlton are pointed at as though they are something special which other people will aspire too, and that this makes her an inspiration to current KU Leuven students.

Even if you were correct though, and this was an award for the entirety of her (rather young) career - do you not think even that would be in bad taste considering she is currently the CEO of a rather public and community centered organisation but isn't allowed to talk out in public because she is seen as a liability that scores PR own goal after own goal?

She is, by no means, a success. She's entered a field in which she's failing - in a rather spectacular fashion at that. That's not to be celebrated. I'm saying this as someone who has recently posted his concerns about her mental health, and urged her to simply resign for her own wellbeing; I am by no means someone who wants to drag her through the dirt anymore than is necessary.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree with Lucky Reds'comments which have been put in a more succinct way than mine.

I simply cannot believe that Katrien Meire is a deserved winner of this Alumni award (and there is only one winner per year) when there may well be and certainly are more worthy recipients. KUni Leuven appear to me to have been blinded by the 'success' of the appointment (as CEO) alone and in their eagerness to get some of the reflected glory awarded the prize without looking either at the performance record of KM in the role or some of her more outlandish comments which most certainly are not becoming of anyone who has received a formal and high-level education (and in law no less where words are very powerful tools). As LR has pointed out she is now better advised to keep her mouth shut as she can't seem to stop herself making gaff after gaff and the height (if one can call it that) of her lack of discipline is there for all to witness in the 'don't care' sentence because she actually prefaces it by saying 'I shouldn't say this but.........'

Unbelievable. If you shouldn't say it don't say it!

Sounds to me as if she actually turned her back on all those legal studies at KU and decided she could say and do as she liked without accountability.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
  • Options

cabbles said:

...says the man who fills her e-mail box with gratuitous e-mails:-) (which incidentally I very much enjoy reading!)
    Watch him Cabbles, sounds the sort of bloke that would nick your bird despite telling you he's your best mate ;)
  • Options
    Since when is she a PHD as mentioned above?
    First I've heard of that.
    What was her 70-100,000 word thesis on?
    She has a doctorate?
    I need proof.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

She has a doctorate?
    I need proof.

Interesting, even her LinkedIn implies education to Masters level - albeit until 2007 as the KU Leuven website suggests. Not sure if this is something common in legal circles though - is a law degree equivalent to a PhD? (Like a MBBS medical degree is equivalent to a BSc in Surgery and a BSc in Medicine, or a PGCE is equivalent to a third of an MA?)
  • Options
    If she has a Ph.D would she not be entitled to call herself Dr. K. Meire?

I've never seen that used in her title.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Dazzler21 said:

Standard de Liège
    Associate
    Baker & McKenzie
    Associate
    Olswang

Trainee
    White & Case

Legal Intern
    Legal Intern
    Legal Intern

Harold Shipman had a "varied and surprising" career but I wouldn't recommend his alma mater reward him for it.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

She has a doctorate?
    I need proof.

Maybe she's just an Interim PhD?
  • Options
    The Daily Mail rin a Wooden Spoon Award for the year's worst customer service. She would win this at a canter if we can organise a dhow of our appreciation.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-3396333/The-winner-wooden-spoon-BT-voted-telecom-giant-having-worst-customer-service-Britain.html
  • Options
    g
    LuckyReds said:

seth plum said:

She has a doctorate?
    I need proof.

Interesting, even her LinkedIn implies education to Masters level - albeit until 2007 as the KU Leuven website suggests. Not sure if this is something common in legal circles though - is a law degree equivalent to a PhD? (Like a MBBS medical degree is equivalent to a BSc in Surgery and a BSc in Medicine, or a PGCE is equivalent to a third of an MA?)
    Yes, she has an LLM which is a Masters degree rather than a PhD but it is still of course impressive. Perhaps it is, as LR suggests, the equivalent of an Arts or Science PhD or perhaps the auto-translate misinterpreted this qualification plus I'm still not sure about this Daisy thing which might also be explained by some translation quirk?

Anyway, the lass is very intelligent no question and with high-level law degrees and experience in the legal profession where clarity of words and argument is highly valued. Which makes her poor performance in presenting any reasoned discussion about Charlton issues even more puzzling (e.g. the terrible, illogical and flawed restaurant customer/fan analogy she delivered in Ireland).

• Sponsored links:

• Options

g

LuckyReds said:

seth plum said:

She has a doctorate?
    I need proof.

Yes, she has an LLM which is a Masters degree rather than a PhD but it is still of course impressive. Perhaps it is, as LR suggests, the equivalent of an Arts or Science PhD or perhaps the auto-translate misinterpreted this qualification plus I'm still not sure about this Daisy thing which might also be explained by some translation quirk?

Anyway, the lass is very intelligent no question and with high-level law degrees and experience in the legal profession where clarity of words and argument is highly valued. Which makes her poor performance in presenting any reasoned discussion about Charlton issues even more puzzling (e.g. the terrible, illogical and flawed restaurant customer/fan analogy she delivered in Ireland).

Feck...

I've got an LLM and, trust me, impressive is not a word that gets associated with that terribly often.

To a large degree it depends on whether the degree was taught or by research and whether it was actual "law" or a legal studies kind of thing (I wonder if I've given away the secret of my " legal qualification"?).
  • Options
    Her only experience as Associate was 2 years 7 months split between two firms, before that she was a trainee. An Associate is an apprentice lawyer who carries the bag of the partners for at least five years before promotion to Partner status if they show they are up to it.

She never did a proper lawyer's job but got this award. She would never have left the lawyer career path if she thought she was destined to become a partner of a global law firm with the rewards that offers. She has the typical CV of someone with not much ability apart from the ability to string along an employer and leave just before getting found out.

She was picked up on the cheap to do another apprentice job. Something has gone wrong though. She has been found out to be a failure too early, it's messed up her CV, she can't bluff her way into another job.

The award might be the cover up she needs to now jump ship. Let's all hope.
  • Options

Her only experience as Associate was 2 years 7 months split between two firms, before that she was a trainee. An Associate is an apprentice lawyer who carries the bag of the partners for at least five years before promotion to Partner status if they show they are up to it.

She never did a proper lawyer's job but got this award. She would never have left the lawyer career path if she thought she was destined to become a partner of a global law firm with the rewards that offers. She has the typical CV of someone with not much ability apart from the ability to string along an employer and leave just before getting found out.

She was picked up on the cheap to do another apprentice job. Something has gone wrong though. She has been found out to be a failure too early, it's messed up her CV, she can't bluff her way into another job.

The award might be the cover up she needs to now jump ship. Let's all hope.

Indeed. What other reason would any aspiring lawyer leave their country of origin, work out of an office shared by an NHS call centre and have to sit there and watch a club she has no interest in slowly go down the toilet?
  • Options

I am sure we have all worked with individuals who are very intelligent but absolutely useless in the real world. Squirrel Face should be their figurehead.

• Options
    She is on the record in interview describing her legal career as "boring" (another example of her terminal case of foot-in-mouth disease).

So all that KU Leuven law education has been kicked in the bin because she was bored. Not sure I'd be dishing out prizes for that.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

She is on the record in interview describing her legal career as "boring" (another example of her terminal case of foot-in-mouth disease).

So all that KU Leuven law education has been kicked in the bin because she was bored. Not sure I'd be dishing out prizes for that.

Boring meaning interesting !!
  • Options
    Missed It said:

She certainly wouldn't describe her current employment as boring I am sure.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Missed It said:

No, she'd describe it as 'weird' (meaning 'unique').
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Missed It said:

No, she'd describe it as 'weird' (meaning 'unique').
    ..............or frustrating meaning stimulating !
  • Options

g

LuckyReds said:

seth plum said:

She has a doctorate?
    I need proof.

Oh for goodness sake. She has a tolerably good academic record including a law degree from what I understand to be a prestigious in Belgium establishment.

As far as I can see, she has then failed to achieve the required work to obtain a proper level of legal experience to get above associate (just out of law school level).

She has then made a proper sow's ear of roles for RD especially CEO of Charlton.

Academically ok, some level of people skills, totally miles out at sea with the top ride taking you further out and no Hugh Jackman in sight I'm afraid Katrien.

Some times a job is to big for you and you fail. If you want another big job, you resign, admit it and move on. If you want your career to be defined by this inevitable failure (RD, KM, TK, RM), carry on supporting what you either know to be rotten or what you are not strong enough to expose.

If you do not take the line of Mel Barrone and leave, your career is dead except with RD. When he dies or retires (let's say 10 years tops) you sycophants are employable. Think about how you want to explain that to your kids, your parents, anyone you care about.

Not so clever and a long way short of as clever as you think you are.

Can't believe I've wasted 10 minutes of my life on you.