Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gardening Advice

Comments

• Options
    Hi pal, I got power right next to the pond which works the pump, it's how the filter works etc, I think they had some form of filter system before but it certainly wasn't powered just som shite old piping that went to a box full snails. 
    Sweet, it's pretty easy. I say this having done 1 previously and it was really straight forward. Pump goes into filter box and sits in the pond. You can be creative and build a little waterfall too, UV ones are the business and really make a difference to how clear the water is 
  • Options
    3 small Acer trees arrived, so another job to do.

• Options

I love Acers. Never had any luck growing them though. I had 3 small in pots and I kept potting them up but when I stuck them in the ground a few years later that was their lot!
  • Options
    Whoops, threw my Acer away when it was a healthy 4ft. Moved it twice but didn’t like the deep move colour.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Also saw a heron this morning so I knocked this up today to put over the pool section at night !
    I've got to much time on my hands at the moment!!
  • Options
    Ah ha
    Not finished yet
    Having a feeding cover yet to be built also a skimmer under that part
  • Options
    Ah ha
    Not finished yet
    Having a feeding cover yet to be built also a skimmer under that part
    It looks really impressive to be fair. 

Are you a sales agent for DeWalt? 😉

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I love Acers. Never had any luck growing them though. I had 3 small in pots and I kept potting them up but when I stuck them in the ground a few years later that was their lot!
    They look great to me, I have had 3 for some time, 2 red and a green one so I've doubled up, couple of years back an old guy sold me a couple of peaony trees and I'm hooked on them as well. 
  • Options
    I am very lucky I haven't planted them myself but bought a garden with some already established acers..they put on a great show in the autumn..they do like shade and prefer not to be in the wind but I haven't fed or watered once in 3 years..they just seem to thrive where they are 
  • Options
    Can peat be environmentally friendly? Part of my recent delivery of goodies contained 2 bags of Irish peat, the claim on the bags stated it is 100% eco friendly, is that possible. 
  • Options
    Just caught up on the last couple of Gardeners world programs. 

I noticed the item with the S.A. couple who go out in search of rare gladiola was concluded with a text saying 'In memory of Rod and Rachael Saunders'. Anyway it piqued my interest enough to google it, and it transpires that they were both shot dead by terrorists shortly after filming the clip. 

Jeez gardening in S.A. is a whole different ball game.  
  • Options
    I like this peony, but it don't stick around long.  Only about a week before it starts to drop  :/

• Options
    I’m sure the gardens and owners would be delighted Ray. 
  • Options
    The frost a couple of nights ago got my potatoes. Leaves wilted - not all for quite a lot of them. Will they recover?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Squirrels 

Fucking squirrels!

They have destroyed all of my ganja by digging it up, butchered all of my cucumbers also by digging them up and the cute, tiny little babies have got themselves all excited about digging up the brand new pots. And I feed them! 

Ungrateful little shits 
  • Options
    never really been a gardener at all, my grass is absolutely shot to pieces from the kids playing football on it, got a big trampoline and too many other toys and things - had a new patio done a few years back and there were a dozen slabs left over so have now finally decided to put them to good use and lay a little patio for the kids outside their playhouse at the bottom of the garden.

have got the sand/cement and currently halfway through digging up the turf....beginning to wish I hadn't started ;)
  • Options
    Touch of frost up here also, it has blackened a couple of dahlias but they should recover, hopefully. 
  • Options
    never really been a gardener at all, my grass is absolutely shot to pieces from the kids playing football on it, got a big trampoline and too many other toys and things - had a new patio done a few years back and there were a dozen slabs left over so have now finally decided to put them to good use and lay a little patio for the kids outside their playhouse at the bottom of the garden.

have got the sand/cement and currently halfway through digging up the turf....beginning to wish I hadn't started ;)
    I did exactly that with 8 slabs.

Looked it all up on youtube and thought I'll do it properly (for once).  Couldn't believe the amount of spoil, sub-base and sand involved.  By the time I laid the last slab I could hardly move.  I reckon if a neighbour spotted me they'd have rung for an ambulance.  Respect to those who do it for a living.

• Options

Looked it all up on youtube and thought I'll do it properly (for once).  Couldn't believe the amount of spoil, sub-base and sand involved.  By the time I laid the last slab I could hardly move.  I reckon if a neighbour spotted me they'd have rung for an ambulance.  Respect to those who do it for a living.

sounds just like me...have got everything I need in the garage, luckily it's at the bottom of the garden and will only be the kids playing on it cause I'm not sure the 'patio' will withstand too much weight by the time I've finished. The slabs weigh a bloody ton
  • Options

sounds just like me...have got everything I need in the garage, luckily it's at the bottom of the garden and will only be the kids playing on it cause I'm not sure the 'patio' will withstand too much weight by the time I've finished. The slabs weigh a bloody ton
    I have reinstated hundreds pushing thousands of holes I have dug out in the wild world and slabs are among my least favourite things to reinstate. I'd rather lay them brand new than patch in new slabs, balance them, set them and look at them and be absolutely certain they look nothing like the ones that have been there for 10 years and wait for some friend of humanity to make it their business to tell me 

The council slabs are the nastiest, big, unwieldy, heavy bastards. Give me nice square, manageable indian sandstone ones any day of the week
  • Options
    Any suggestions on how to remove this from garden lawn (previous owners work).. the screws won’t move. Sledgehammer ?
  • Options
    Angle grinder 
  • Options
    Kango.
  • Options
    Or a decent Hilti equiverlant