Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gardening Advice

Comments

• Options
    Any suggestions on how to remove this from garden lawn (previous owners work).. the screws won’t move. Sledgehammer ?
    Gotta be worth a few quid
  • Options
    Getting fed up with cats keep sh!tting in my front garden any legal ideas
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Any suggestions on how to remove this from garden lawn (previous owners work).. the screws won’t move. Sledgehammer ?
    Doesn’t look like you’ve tried putting 3in1 oil on the nuts. I’d do that for a couple of days and try again with a decent wrench on them before going too heavy. 
  • Options
    If that is cast iron, just get a hammer and bolster/chisel on the brackets.
  • Options
    Angle grind them off. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Doesn’t look like you’ve tried putting 3in1 oil on the nuts. I’d do that for a couple of days and try again with a decent wrench on them before going too heavy. 
    Listen to Neil

Unless you want rid of it NOW NOW NOW give it the good news with some lube little and often over a couple of days and try it every time. 
  • Options
    Just caught up with the latest Gardener's World.

RIP Nigel 😢. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Can just cut them up and put them in sacrifical positions on people's doorsteps - Police will just blame the foxes
    I said Legal FA.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:
    Pave over your front garden?
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Pave over your front garden?
    I need you large.
    Ive not stopped indoors the last 6 weeks.
  • Options
    I will take to p!ssing in the garden as recommended on money saving expert.
    Seeing as both neighbours have cats i will wait till they are out there.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    I will take to p!ssing in the garden as recommended on money saving expert.
    Seeing as both neighbours have cats i will wait till they are out there.
    You could p!ss into a container and then chuck it out there.
  • Options
    All sorted - cheers for the advice. I chose the easy option... listed it on marketplace and within a couple of hours it was out of the ground and into someone’s van 👌🏼 

Now to keep the cats from shitting on the new patch and the birds away from the seed.

• Options
    Another cats sh*t in the garden
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Squirt them with water whenever you see them. This works for a short time, then the furry shitting machines come back and start all over again! 

You can try hissing at them as they don't like it. A boot aimed towards their backsides also works well. 

My neighourhood cats have now realised that I'm a complete nutter and run as soon as I start to open the front door as they just never know what's going to be heading in their direction. They must absolutely hate that I've been working at home for ages. I spot them from my seat by the window as soon as they slink over next door's fence and I'm off out the door. I'm sure they have constipation by now! 
  • Options
    Just needs a nut cracker to break the nut, or a dremel etc would do it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    never really been a gardener at all, my grass is absolutely shot to pieces from the kids playing football on it, got a big trampoline and too many other toys and things - had a new patio done a few years back and there were a dozen slabs left over so have now finally decided to put them to good use and lay a little patio for the kids outside their playhouse at the bottom of the garden.

have got the sand/cement and currently halfway through digging up the turf....beginning to wish I hadn't started ;)
    I did exactly that with 8 slabs.

Looked it all up on youtube and thought I'll do it properly (for once).  Couldn't believe the amount of spoil, sub-base and sand involved.  By the time I laid the last slab I could hardly move.  I reckon if a neighbour spotted me they'd have rung for an ambulance.  Respect to those who do it for a living.

sounds just like me...have got everything I need in the garage, luckily it's at the bottom of the garden and will only be the kids playing on it cause I'm not sure the 'patio' will withstand too much weight by the time I've finished. The slabs weigh a bloody ton
    back is in absolute pieces today....christ knows how anyone does that for a living !
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Just needs a nut cracker to break the nut, or a dremel etc would do it.
    Nothing  has ever been achieved with a Dremel. They make a noise but thats about it.
    My wife bought me one with all the bits and bobs a few years back. It promised a lot but has stayed in its case.
    Nut splitter, proper mans tool but not as manly as an angle grinder.
  • Options
    Splashed out on a couple of Trachycarpus palms, two large Phoenix palms and a couple of cotton palms, my lad has some big holes to dig when this turns up.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Have you tried any infrared motion sensors?

There are a few reliable ones on the market now and quite small and discreet, easy to just fix on a wall or stick in the ground. Ive used PestBye and it reduced the amount of cat shit within a week id say. I set up a pair on my mums front drive aswell as she was having issues and they worked a treat.If it dont work in the first week, set the frequency level to its highest and try another location for a week. It should deter most cats apart from maybe the older more deaf ones. You can send it back within 30 days i think and get money back if its not working anyway.

The only downside id say is that its battery operated so rechargeable batts are a good idea.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    clb74 said:

There are a few reliable ones on the market now and quite small and discreet, easy to just fix on a wall or stick in the ground. Ive used PestBye and it reduced the amount of cat shit within a week id say. I set up a pair on my mums front drive aswell as she was having issues and they worked a treat.If it dont work in the first week, set the frequency level to its highest and try another location for a week. It should deter most cats apart from maybe the older more deaf ones. You can send it back within 30 days i think and get money back if its not working anyway.

The only downside id say is that its battery operated so rechargeable batts are a good idea.

Not yet orpington.
    Last night was the 1st night i tried the urine test.
    No more sh!t this morning i shall not try anymore tonight will have the bladder full up tomorrow just in case.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:

Not yet orpington.
    Last night was the 1st night i tried the urine test.
    No more sh!t this morning i shall not try anymore tonight will have the bladder full up tomorrow just in case.
    There is another way😁
  • Options
    All sorted - cheers for the advice. I chose the easy option... listed it on marketplace and within a couple of hours it was out of the ground and into someone’s van 👌🏼 

Now to keep the cats from shitting on the new patch and the birds away from the seed.

Worth putting some clear plastic over the patch after saturating it with water and staking it down to keep the birds off. I've done several patches on my grass and that gives the seeds half a chance of germinating quickly and the birds leaving them alone. 
  • Options
    Hebe heaven for me today, just love the way these guys leaves line up ,and fairly cheap so a good selection going in today washed down with coffee and biscuits (for me) and a cold beer later.