Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gardening Advice

Comments

• Options
    I'm actually thinking of decking an area at the back of our garden. I don't suppose anyone can either recommend a company and/or place to buy the decking? We're based in Medway.

Looking to do the area in the far right where it's a bit overgrown currently. Potentially put in a pagoda at the same time

Decking the far right?  Shouldn't that be on the Politics thread? ;)

• Options
    ROTW said:
    I'm actually thinking of decking an area at the back of our garden. I don't suppose anyone can either recommend a company and/or place to buy the decking? We're based in Medway.

Looking to do the area in the far right where it's a bit overgrown currently. Potentially put in a pagoda at the same time

If you are looking to get away from wet trades (concreting) and digging holes for supports, stumbled upon these, which appear to be a novel solution.
    https://www.groundscrewcentre.co.uk/
    Ground Screw! Is Meire branching out since leaving football?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N4k51YGdVQ
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    T_C_E said:
    I’m looking for some evergreen shrubs to plant along the sides of our garden up 4/5 foot high preferably non poisonous to our dogs. 😳
    Any suggestions please and where to get them online?
    Photinia Red Robin 

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/photinia-x-fraseri-red-robin/T57530TM 
    Arrived and planted, watered well and already Bow has taken an interest. It could be a case of who kills them first me or him! 
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Love a cactus, heres one of my lophophora williiamsii (peyote) in flower 
    I don’t know the name of my one but it flowers every year 
  • Options
    After a lengthy delay a small selection of hardy bananas have arrived, these guys are with next year in mind as all are less than 2metres tall (keeps costs down) ,and gives me a chance to see how they look in their space, Musu basjoo,Ensete Maurelii and Musella lasiocarpa all join the throng. 
  • Options
    After a lengthy delay a small selection of hardy bananas have arrived, these guys are with next year in mind as all are less than 2metres tall (keeps costs down) ,and gives me a chance to see how they look in their space, Musu basjoo,Ensete Maurelii and Musella lasiocarpa all join the throng. 

I've been looking at the hardy bananas - how hardy are they? Our garden gets pretty hard frosts as we're in a valley
  • Options
    Morning A.T. hardy bananas are a new one for me, I have four bananas that are put in the greenhouse every winter, but I had already decided to risk 2 of them in the garden this year, now with the new guys I'm going to plant these in very sheltered areas, and I'll protect them if it gets really cold. 
  • Options
    Morning A.T. hardy bananas are a new one for me, I have four bananas that are put in the greenhouse every winter, but I had already decided to risk 2 of them in the garden this year, now with the new guys I'm going to plant these in very sheltered areas, and I'll protect them if it gets really cold. 
    Hi j75 ..have you got them in large pots or in the ground ?..I have a couple of palms and a banana that I put in the garage over winter..amidst a lot of huffing and puffing but they are getting a bit big to move around now 

Good luck with the new additions 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Same thing here, every winter dragging stuff back in the greenhouse, my age and the size of the plants had me looking for a solution, so this is a new adventure with the hardy stuff, bound to be casualties but the dream of a tropical paradise lives on.
  • Options
    Lovely bit of rain round these parts, bananas all safely in the ground with a very nice mix of compost, pleased with these guys and can't wait to see how they do over the next year or two. 
  • Options
    Any pics John? 
  • Options
    Everything thing that has gone in this year is still on the small side tbh, being locked in since March started as a few plants and ended up with a fairly major replan, I've taken as much out as we stuck in and I'm really planning for next summer.
  • Options
    Two weeks now and I havent killed the plants nor have the dogs, locally a guy was selling railway sleeper type timber so I bought 30 of them to help prevent the puppy getting in there. Don’t look to bad I think...... Obviously there’s more to do, the groundwork and planting I don’t mind doing, but weeding I can’t be arsed with that, I’m hoping the good lady likes weeding!
  • Options
    Before the rain ,with a nice coffee. 
    Is that the hardy banana middle of pic? 
  • Options
    back left and right have gone in so I'll see how they go, even buddha is saying a prayer. 
  • Options
    Lovely bit of color there Jon, is that a fuchsia (Sunray) bottom left?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cracking lillies Raith.
  • Options
    Lovely bit of color there Jon, is that a fuchsia (Sunray) bottom left?
    I think it is, I'm a serial bunger in of plants I like the look of. 
  • Options
    Collecting poppy seeds 

• Options
    Bit young for the opium trade?
  • Options
    I don’t know why, but I read that as “puppy seeds” 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    I don’t know why, but I read that as “puppy seeds” 🤷‍♂️
    Yeah I have to do that before the nipper is allowed in the garden 😅
  • Options
    Bit young for the opium trade?
    Never 
  • Options
    my missus has gone gardening mental over the past couple of months, we've now got pots everywhere, hanging baskets, trellis on the garage, water feature and a pop up greenhouse at the bottom of the garden
  • Options
    my missus has gone gardening mental over the past couple of months, we've now got pots everywhere, hanging baskets, trellis on the garage, water feature and a pop up greenhouse at the bottom of the garden
    Are you married to Charlies Dimmock by any  chance ?
  • Options
    And what a fine pair of tubs she’s treated us to over the years