Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gardening Advice

Comments

• Options
    Nice little bit on hardy bananas on gardeners world this morning, it was actually episode 9 of the current series for those interested. 
  • Options
    Morning fellow gardeners 😂👍
    I need some more suggestions as to what hardy evergreen plant/shrub/bush type ground covering I can buy for the otherside of the garden. As before it has to be idiot proof with no specific ground/soil requirements. 
    Many thanks in advance
  • Options
    Found a random seed growing in the garden that didn't look like a weed, turned into my very first sunflower!

Quite grizzly looking at close quarters whilst in bud though.

• Options
    The last few years my tomatoes (Alicante and a cherry variety) have suffered a bit from blossom end rot.  This year using the same home compost and seeds there has been no sign of the rot whatsoever.  

Now, this year as a wild experiment (and I hesitate to say this) I have misted the tomatoes every 4/5 days in a very dilute milk solution.  The theory being that the vital missing ingredient of calcium will be added from the milk via the plant's foliage. 

Coincidence, Nutcase, Genius?  You decide.  (probably best keep your opinions to yourselves though).

One other thing, I have noticed a rather off smell as the milky solution drys.  I just hope my tomatoes don't taste of cold sick.  :/

• Options
    anyone got a night vision camera in the garden ? We've got 2 hedgehogs that seem to have moved in and I want to film them 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    I need some more suggestions as to what hardy evergreen plant/shrub/bush type ground covering I can buy for the otherside of the garden. As before it has to be idiot proof with no specific ground/soil requirements. 
    Many thanks in advance
    Does it get sun ? 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    anyone got a night vision camera in the garden ? We've got 2 hedgehogs that seem to have moved in and I want to film them 
    Yes but i'm not sure the angle of the camera reaches your garden.
  • Options
    Yes, all day at this time of year. 

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I've got a big truss!

...... must be at least 150 (potential) tomatoes growing here. 

Trying to support it with canes, but tbh I'm a bit frightened to go out there this morning in case its got even bigger.  I might have to alert the authorities at this rate  :o

• Options
    The last few years my tomatoes (Alicante and a cherry variety) have suffered a bit from blossom end rot.  This year using the same home compost and seeds there has been no sign of the rot whatsoever.  

Now, this year as a wild experiment (and I hesitate to say this) I have misted the tomatoes every 4/5 days in a very dilute milk solution.  The theory being that the vital missing ingredient of calcium will be added from the milk via the plant's foliage. 

Coincidence, Nutcase, Genius?  You decide.  (probably best keep your opinions to yourselves though).

One other thing, I have noticed a rather off smell as the milky solution drys.  I just hope my tomatoes don't taste of cold sick.  :/

Growing basil next to them protects them from a lot of pests.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I’ve had blossom end rot most years on one type of tomato but never remember to write it down. So when I moan again next year you can remind me it’s AURIGA. All other toms fine at the moment 
  • Options
    This year’s peas - usually produce a good crop- have been destroyed by pea aphid. This also includes my sweet peas. 
    Runner beans fine however.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Many thanks in advance
    What about Bergenia (Elephant's ears)?
    Tough as old boots.  Big green glossy leaves (hence nickname).  Pink or white flowers late spring - although mine is having a second flowering at the moment.  

Once established, easy to propagate - just break off a section of one of the thick fleshy stems with 2 or 3 at the growing tip.  Stick the stem quite deeply into a pot of compost & it will root.
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me why my fuchsia in tubs and troughs, which have been beautiful and full of huge blossoms, are now wilting and all the buds dropping off. I have thought I over-watered them but even now being very stingy with the water, they are drooping and all the buds keep falling off. Well fed as well.
    They did start blossoming very early and I wonder if they think the season is coming to a close?
  • Options
    Need to dead head them mate, which is a big task with fuschias but did that and they have a second wind 
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me why my fuchsia in tubs and troughs, which have been beautiful and full of huge blossoms, are now wilting and all the buds dropping off. I have thought I over-watered them but even now being very stingy with the water, they are drooping and all the buds keep falling off. Well fed as well.
    They did start blossoming very early and I wonder if they think the season is coming to a close?
    This from Gardening Know How

Fuchsias require consistent moisture but also well-drained soil. A plant in a boggy area will respond with yellowing leaves that will tend to fall off. These plants also perform best in light shade or dappled areas of the garden. Plants in full sun scorch and those in deep shade will become stressed. Stressed plants respond by dropping their leaves and becoming less vigorous.

Other fuchsia leaf problems contributing to leaf drop may be insects and disease or excess salt in soil, especially in container plants. This is the result of over fertilizing. A good soil drench may be the answer to removing excess salt or you can repot with a good quality soil. You should fertilize once per month during the growing season but follow with plenty of water in potted fuchsia. Additionally, a lack of magnesium can cause yellowing and defoliation. To correct this, use 1 tablespoon of magnesium sulfate to 1 gallon of water once per month.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Fuchsia Leaf Problems: What Causes Dropping Leaves On Fuchsias https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/fuchsia/dropping-leaves-on-fuchsias.htm
  • Options
    Fantastic, go to the top of the class. 
  • Options
    This from Gardening Know How

Fuchsias require consistent moisture but also well-drained soil. A plant in a boggy area will respond with yellowing leaves that will tend to fall off. These plants also perform best in light shade or dappled areas of the garden. Plants in full sun scorch and those in deep shade will become stressed. Stressed plants respond by dropping their leaves and becoming less vigorous.

Other fuchsia leaf problems contributing to leaf drop may be insects and disease or excess salt in soil, especially in container plants. This is the result of over fertilizing. A good soil drench may be the answer to removing excess salt or you can repot with a good quality soil. You should fertilize once per month during the growing season but follow with plenty of water in potted fuchsia. Additionally, a lack of magnesium can cause yellowing and defoliation. To correct this, use 1 tablespoon of magnesium sulfate to 1 gallon of water once per month.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Fuchsia Leaf Problems: What Causes Dropping Leaves On Fuchsias https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/fuchsia/dropping-leaves-on-fuchsias.htm
    Check ants have not made the pots their home.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vine weevils - the little bastards - love fuchsias (and polyanthus), and their grubs eat the plant roots.  Lack of roots could be why your plants are wilting.

Turn out one of the tubs and look for white or grey grubs with brown heads which curve into a C-shape when exposed to the light.  Don't just stamp on them, as they already contain the eggs for the next generation.  They will drown if dropped in water, although it can take some days.

Two ways to deal with them - chemical (Bayer make Provado vine weevil killer, although it can be difficult to find a stockist) or biological (special nematode worms)
  • Options
    My four year old granddaughter informed me that her little friend's Sunflower was better than mine.

.......... Well not any more it aint!

Blimey it's bill and bens little weed after a dose of round up
  • Options
    cafcdog said:

Had the pond got a liner? If it has then you’ve hidden it really well. I’ve not managed to do mine very well (in our old place). I get stones etc but the black liner still shows through
  • Options
    N01R4M said:
    Vine weevils - the little bastards - love fuchsias (and polyanthus), and their grubs eat the plant roots.  Lack of roots could be why your plants are wilting.

Turn out one of the tubs and look for white or grey grubs with brown heads which curve into a C-shape when exposed to the light.  Don't just stamp on them, as they already contain the eggs for the next generation.  They will drown if dropped in water, although it can take some days.

Two ways to deal with them - chemical (Bayer make Provado vine weevil killer, although it can be difficult to find a stockist) or biological (special nematode worms)
    Thank you, will have a look. Never heard of them.
  • Options
    cafcdog said:

Had the pond got a liner? If it has then you’ve hidden it really well. I’ve not managed to do mine very well (in our old place). I get stones etc but the black liner still shows through

Yes the pond has a liner(butyl). Had many goes in trying to disguise it but ended up with flat slate rocks which seems to do the job.
  • Options
    The Mrs loves my morning Glory
  • Options
    Don’t all wives.
  • Options
    Yea and still am considering it. The wall on the left is the back and side of the shed from the 1st picture. Will probably have them both rendered but still want some kind of fence/trellis just as added security/privacy. Maybe something that wont cover the whole wall but give it a bit more height.
    Seems a shame to paint those nice red brick walls. I'd put a trellis on the breeze block wall. The mix of flowers on one wall and red brick walls the other side would look good I'd say.
  • Options
    In these troubled times for club and country I have been very pleased with this dark Canna, it's only a year old and will get it's own pot when it has flowered. 
  • Options
    cafcdog said:

The pond looks nice enough, but ones with fish in just don’t do it for me (small garden ponds that is).
    They just seem a bit cruel in my opinion.