Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Appeal for help re ground from AFC Wimbledon

Comments

• Options

Always caused problems at Maidstone but they're not alone in that. Certinally had that big boy bully vibe about them at that time.

They've grown some gonads since we used to go over there in the early 80's then, pathetic & laughable back in the day.
  • Options
    They should stay in Kingston. Everyone in Wimbledon supports Rafa Nadal
  • Options

se9addick said:

"basically took over Kingstonian's ground and forced them out"

Again - how did this happen ?

They groundshared with Kingstonian in the early days, then bought Kingsmeadow off Rajesh Khosla, who bought both Ks and the ground when the club was in administration.

Now the Dons are planning to sell Kingsmeadow to Chelsea, who want to use it for their women's team, and there's no place for Kingstonian in this.

Kingstonian's board has accepted a large sum of money from AFC Wimbledon and are looking to build a new ground in Chessington.

This - and other posts on the same blog - is useful in understanding it from Ks fans' point of view (if not the club's board): https://thekingstonroadend.wordpress.com/2015/11/18/the-sale-of-kingsmeadow-by-afc-wimbledon-to-chelsea-fc-what-might-it-mean/

edit: this more recent post is also useful https://thekingstonroadend.wordpress.com/2016/03/09/chessington-world-of-misadventures-a-kingsmeadow-update/
    Thanks, read. Still Not entirely sure it's Wimbledon's fault but others who know far more than I seem to think it's the case.
  • Options

Any club that wants to s**t on a smaller club (in this instance, Kingstonian) will get no support from me.

Perhaps you'd better read up on your facts before spouting rubbish
  • Options
    Wimbledon will give Kingstonian a million pounds once they deal is complete. As mentioned earlier they looking at a site in Chessington.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Wimbledon will give Kingstonian a million pounds once they deal is complete. As mentioned earlier they looking at a site in Chessington.

I'd suggest that had Wimbledon not bought the ground when they did then Kingstonian wouldn't exist right now. Anyway why dig the Dons out and not Chelsea for not letting Kingstonian stay?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's a shitty situation, but the current Kingstonian board have happily gone along with the Wimbledon/Chelsea proposal, which leaves their fans pretty much stuffed. Ks only get about 300 or so for their matches and rattle around in that ground now, so you can see why their board have gone along with it - even though it may mean moving miles out to Chessington.

I used to see a lot of AFC Wimbledon games in their very early days and it was a lot of fun, but seeing it all ending with Kingstonian fans getting shafted is a miserable shame. I suspect the greyhound stadium call-in is entirely political (Tory Wandsworth Council objected to the plan, Labour Merton approved it) and it'll get passed after the mayoral election.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

And I think they had/have no obligation to do so either.
  • Options
    But why didn't they support the original Dons enough. This was during footballs boom years yet couldn't keep them going as a viable concerns at plough lane or selhurst. It was move or die.
  • Options
    We moved to Selhurst.
    They moved to Selhurst.

We fought to get back home and grow the club and save it for future generations.

They Fought to, actually no, they didn't , they decided to let their club die. During the biggest boom in football in this country.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

We moved to Selhurst.
    They moved to Selhurst.

We fought to get back home and grow the club and save it for future generations.

They Fought to, actually no, they didn't , they decided to let their club die. During the biggest boom in football in this country.

Wimbledon got bigger attendances than we did at Selhurst in the top division.
  • Options

What have Wimbledon done to Kingstonian?

Didnt Kingstonian take Wimbledon in and allow them to groundshare with them when no one else would?
    Correct, and then shafted them a few years later once they got their feet under the table at Kingsmeadow and have now left Kingstonian homeless.
    Kingstonian were broke and needed to sell. Afc Wimbledon have upgraded the stadium and pitch at no cost to kingstonian, they are selling the ground to Chelsea whose academy will play there. Part of the deal is for kingstonian to remain. Chelsea will increase facilities further which will also benefit kingstonian.

Most afc away games were sold out during the non league days, teams that averaged 20 were getting gates of 400. The non league teams loved it.

Wimbledon were shafted by a foreign owner and our trust should be talking to theirs and seeking help and advice. Would you rather have Roland in charge or supporters similar to the afc Wimbledon set up at charlton.
  • Options

It's a shitty situation, but the current Kingstonian board have happily gone along with the Wimbledon/Chelsea proposal, which leaves their fans pretty much stuffed. Ks only get about 300 or so for their matches and rattle around in that ground now, so you can see why their board have gone along with it - even though it may mean moving miles out to Chessington.

I used to see a lot of AFC Wimbledon games in their very early days and it was a lot of fun, but seeing it all ending with Kingstonian fans getting shafted is a miserable shame. I suspect the greyhound stadium call-in is entirely political (Tory Wandsworth Council objected to the plan, Labour Merton approved it) and it'll get passed after the mayoral election.

Isn't part of the problem that AFC have improved Kingsmeadow, and with the decline of Kingstonian it's now far too much ground for them?

I'm vaguely reminded of Maidstone's ill fated groundshare at Watling Street
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    buckshee said:

MrOneLung said:

We moved to Selhurst.
    They moved to Selhurst.

Wimbledon got bigger attendances than we did at Selhurst in the top division.
    But it was a different time. They should have been getting more there than what we did, so no surprise there. Football was fashionable again. The Premiership was on its relentless march. The fans deserted them when they needed to fight for them. They let the club become unsustainable and moribund. Should The club have just been wound up and cease to exist or try to salvage it by moving to MK ?
  • Options
    I can't believe the fans of the Chelsea women's team can let this happen, how can they leave their historical home of, errrr, Fulham and move out to Kingston? That's eight miles south of their beloved and historical home.

I can see thousands of Chelsea Women fans not prepared to sit on the A3 for hours on end to get to a home game in what is no longer their spiritual and rightful home.

I can see fans of Chelsea Women setting up their own splinter team - AFC Chelsea Women FC and after a twelve year struggle returning back to where they truly belong in Fulham. I for one will be the first name on that petition when it appears on this forum in a decade or so and I don't care how many non league Women's football clubs that AFC Chelsea Women FC trample on in the process, or how much their fans play up as they rise up the ranks of non league women's football and most of all I don't care that (after I bothered to use Google) they are actually called Chelsea Ladies not Chelsea Women and they currently play in Stains.

• Options
    I live in Wimbledon and if it comes down to a local vote or local pressure I'll support the move to the dog track and that's basically all that matters for the politicians.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

shirty5 said:

I'd suggest that had Wimbledon not bought the ground when they did then Kingstonian wouldn't exist right now. Anyway why dig the Dons out and not Chelsea for not letting Kingstonian stay?

because everyone already knows that Chelsea are c*nts

• Options

buckshee said:

Any club that wants to s**t on a smaller club (in this instance, Kingstonian) will get no support from me.

Perhaps you'd better read up on your facts before spouting rubbish
    Feck me - thats a bit lary !
    Strange you havnt imparted us with your wisdom, Brain boy !
    Maybe you'd like to read the various posts on here which will explain it for you then.