Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Appeal for help re ground from AFC Wimbledon

124»

Comments

• Options
    I like dog racing. Some of the people who go to it however I'm not so keen on.

As for Wimbledon good luck to them. Their rivals (well sort of) Sutton will be going up this season having beaten the fleet on the weekend.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

SDAddick said:

Off_it said:

SDAddick said:

Chizz said:

So, to be clear, it's OK for a football club (Kingstonian) or a Greyhound venue to be kicked out and have to go elsewhere when the gates drop and they become financially stretched?

I made my feelings about greyhound tracks known above, but putting that to one side you can't say that a track that's been around for ~15 years has the same social standing or punters' support as a football club.

15 years?!

Weren't you the guy who said on another thread that he would do a bit more research before spouting crap in future? How's that going for you?
    Not well apparently!!!!!!

Apologies I thought that the dog track took over when Wimbledon moved out. I was wrong, again, my geography of niche London sporting grounds is poor.
    Fair play mate, that's a good response. The dog track is just down the road from where the football ground was - and the ground is long gone.

There aren't many tracks left in London now, in fact I think Wimbledon is the only one left with an actual London postcode. Only other two I can think of are Romford and Crayford.
    Understood, and appreciate the explanation. As I've said I wouldn't be sad to see a dog track go on principle having been raised around rescued greyhounds (there used to be a track very near to where I grew up). But I'm also not someone who thinks that because I object to something it should be banned for everyone.

It feels like this boils down to no matter what happens, someone is going to be put out, which is a really unfortunate situation.
  • Options
    you should all be mindful this will be Charlton soon, homeless and looking for a move back to Charlton beside what will be the valley housing estate!
  • Options
    I think someone pretty much called this happening a couple of pages ago with the mayoral change
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Personally hope the move is vetoed, but it won't be.

I don't want to see a greyhound stadium - London's last - that has been there for nearly 90 years replaced by another shitty, soul-less football ground that will actually be used less frequently than the dog track (even now, when it only has one card a week).

No support from me whatsoever.
  • Options
    It'll be replaced by houses soon enough if not the football stadium.
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/27/wimbledon-greyhounds-afc-plough-lane-stadium

Very good piece in The Guardian on the track and history of dog racing.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Khan backs AFC returning, so unless there is any new evidence, it looks like they will return.
  • Options
    Looks like they're on their way "back".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37155008

Although you have to laugh at the councillors comments

"We look forward to the homecoming of this much-loved and well-deserving team,"
    "Merton wants to see AFC Wimbledon back on Wimbledon turf. We will now be working with the applicant towards the delivery of the site."

The fact that AFC Wimbledon have never played "on Wimbledon turf" before and therefore there is no "homecoming" seems completely lost on him.

A crying shame in my view that it means the only "London" dog track left will go. But they don't seem to have any friends in the media to shout their case as loudly as those who support the "romantic" notion of Wimbledon "returning home".

• Sponsored links: