Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Prince RIP

13»

Comments

• Options
    The doves are crying tonight.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Not everyone's cup of tea but went to see him back in the 80's the fella was a musical genius.
  • Options
    Always amazed me how much work he did. Not every track was full of hooks but even the tracks that leave me cold were often great in some way of you could be bothered, I mostly wasn't.

When he hit his straps though, unbelievable work.

I'm listening now to 'let's go crazy' first few lines very on point.
  • Options
    RIP. The greatest musical talent to emerge from the 80s in my opinion. I was listening to "3121" at the weekend, thinking what a great album it was and hoping for more of the same. Thankfully he leaves a relatively large catalogue of work but 57 is far too young.
  • Options

Useless bloody year.
    But like Victoria Wood, this one is another bolt from the blue.
    RIP Prince. Much too young

Didn't know that Victoria Wood had died.
  • Options
    Wow that's another huge shock! RIP Prince
  • Options
    Saw him headline the hop farm festival and he was brilliant. It would be a lie to say I was a fan before then, like everyone I knew some of his greatest hits but hadn't appreciated what a spellbinding musician and performer he was.

I did not appreciate how talented he was and without shame I will say I became a big prince fan after that night. Pretentious yes, he played a guitar solo with his back to the crowd for about half an hour but I was sold.

Rest in peace, legend down
  • Options
    I'm shocked. RIP Prince.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Am testing out the new headphones listening to 1999 the album. Both the music and the headphones are standing up well.

what headphones are you using?

• Options
    Having a Prince-fest in his memory - including 'God' ('Purple rain' b side) and the sublime 'something in the water (does not compute)'. Saw him live 5 times - no duff gigs - starting with the 'parade' tour in 1986 and ending with one of the 21 nights at the O2 (wish I'd gone to more. RIP.
  • Options
    What a year, fucking hell....
  • Options

Could shine in the moat esteemed company. Stole the show in this supergroup imo.
    RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

I never got too into his music, but I know he influenced so many musicians I love, along with so many people around me. Something that was often said to me by friends and former band-mates far more musically gifted than I was that he was arguably the best guitar player of his generation, on top of his songwriting, singing, performance, production, etc. skills.

He fit a lot of soul into a 5'2'' frame.
  • Options
    Mrkinski said:

Having a Prince-fest in his memory - including 'God' ('Purple rain' b side) and the sublime 'something in the water (does not compute)'. Saw him live 5 times - no duff gigs - starting with the 'parade' tour in 1986 and ending with one of the 21 nights at the O2 (wish I'd gone to more. RIP.

Yeah, I had a little shuffle through his back catalogue last night. It struck me that much like David Bowie who also died this year, he was not just a master of one but many musical genres. There's soul in there, funk, rock, rap, classical and even avant-garde. Often with a mix of different styles within the same song. Genius.
  • Options
    R.I.P. A great artist.
  • Options
    Sennheuiser momentum 2

• Options
    God has been putting some band together in the last few months - what with Bowie on vocals, Prince on lead guitar, Glenn Frey on rhythm and Lemmy on bass.

As a somewhat limited in talent drummer I feel safe in the knowledge that it's not my time - yet. If I were Charlie Watts, however, I might just be a bit concerned. There again, He can always call on Keith Moon.

RIP Prince - a supreme talent
  • Options
    One of the best live acts I've seen - shocked he's gone at 57.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

God has been putting some band together in the last few months - what with Bowie on vocals, Prince on lead guitar, Glenn Frey on rhythm and Lemmy on bass.

As a somewhat limited in talent drummer I feel safe in the knowledge that it's not my time - yet. If I were Charlie Watts, however, I might just be a bit concerned. There again, He can always call on Keith Moon.

Dale Griffin on drums, surely? And Keith Emerson on keyboards...
  • Options

Dale Griffin on drums, surely? And Keith Emerson on keyboards...
    Of course. He really has been working hard the greedy so and so. What would we pay to see that lot together? They could play and perform any genre of modern music.
  • Options
    Was never a huge fan then I got the opportunity to see him live at the O2, been a fan ever since. RIP.
  • Options

Could shine in the moat esteemed company. Stole the show in this supergroup imo.
    RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

That video is great. Not a bad little supergroup :smile:

Then Prince's guitar solo kicks in & he shines, even in such great company. Superb.

Such a talent
    Such a shame
  • Options

Who wants a shitty Prince story?

Err, no, not really

Back in the mid 90s, before Charlton had an Internet forum, Millwall were one of the first clubs to have a Messageboard called House of Fun (may have been You'll Never Make the Station then). I started reading it as I had contact with a couple of Millwall players then and was interested in what their fans said about them (internet posts were a lot less abusive in those days!)

I got sucked in when Charlton cropped up and started posting on there as Sam Bartram. I got called called out one day by a bit of a know-all called 'The Absent Minded Professor' that I was 'bastardising the name of our greatest ever player' (this was before Brendan O'Connell).

So I said fair enough, and at the same point Prince changed his name to Artist Formally Known As Prince (AFKAP), I changed my handle to AFKA Bartram.

That, and Ruth Lorenzo with the big boobies singing Purple Rain on the 2010 X-Factor, we must surely all agree, must be his greatest legacy.

RIP you leader of little people.

Oh, okay then......

; )
  • Options
    Shocking news RIP.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Half watching and listening to a programme on BBC4 about him whist posting on here and drinking beer.

I had no idea he wrote Manic Mondays by the Bangles or Nothing Compares To You by Sinead O'Connor and other stuff besides.

I'm beginning to understand the reaction to his death.
  • Options
    He was a genius. Very sad.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Wow.

Who wants a shitty Prince story?

So I said fair enough, and at the same point Prince changed his name to Artist Formally Known As Prince (AFKAP), I changed my handle to AFKA Bartram.

I always thought it meant Also Feckin' Kown As.