Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBQ's- Gas or Coals?

Comments

• Options
    T said:

Coal lump wood on one of these http://www.barrel-barbecue.co.uk/ smoked texas style brisket over Easter. Incredible

Gas isn't BBQing it's cooking outside.

So why don't you build a large wood burning stove in your kitchen?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

The notion that coal tastes better or different is a myth. Gas is easier so that's what I go with.

That's what the bloke who sold me my gas BBQ said. He was wrong.

• Options
    Coals every time if you want the flavour
  • Options
    From this time of year I always(every night if it's dry) use the gas bbq when I get home from work. However to be fair,you are simply cooking outside. In my head you can't beat a good charcoal bbq if and when you've got time. Gas for week days, charcoal weekends is my philosophy.
  • Options
    However, it's pissing down in south Lincolnshire so stir fry tonight
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

The notion that coal tastes better or different is a myth. Gas is easier so that's what I go with.

Rubbish. I have a gas and a charcoal BBQ and the gas does not come close. You get cold spots on a gas BBQ as well which might suit some but I prefer an even heat throughout.
    Sounds to me like either you suck at cooking, or you've used a shit gas BBQ.
    Am I the only one, who read that as something else ?
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Rubbish. I have a gas and a charcoal BBQ and the gas does not come close. You get cold spots on a gas BBQ as well which might suit some but I prefer an even heat throughout.
    Sounds to me like either you suck at cooking, or you've used a shit gas BBQ.
    Am I the only one, who read that as something else ?
    No, I read it as something else a first glance as well.
  • Options
    Whichever you use what you spend will be a factor. A bloody big factor. I've got a very decent Weber coal barbecue having had both gas and coal.

If you know how to prepare the coals which isn't tough and for those who really struggle, YouTube is your friend. I can get a coal bbq ready to cook in 15/20 minutes with the aid of a bbq fan or bellows. Nothing wrong with gas per se but I like the convenience of not needing to store gas bottles.

Get a shitty cheap gas bbq I think you will end up bitterly spending more on a decent coal bbq. Cheap coal bbqs are a bit more financially forgiving as there is less to lose when you inevitably throw it away and probably go and spend more cash on a gas one.

In summary if you struggle to construct the coals in such a way you can be cooking with an even heat fairly soon after lighting go for a decent gas bbq

If not buy a weber coal bbq that has a lid
  • Options
    Coal, anything else is sacrilige
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SID said:

JiMMy 85 said:

OK, but why? I'm sure I'm not the only one who is interested, as one who has never owned or used a gas one.
  • Options
    I bought a big Weber during the winter and am ditching my gas BBQ. The gas does the job and is easy but my brother-in-law has a Weber and uses hickory wood too - always seems to taste better. I used to say that there was no hanging around with gas but I usually know more than an hour in advance when I am planning a barby, so getting the coals going won't be too hard, and as someone said, you can neck a few beers whilst it warms up. I will report back...
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Stig said:

By far and away the best way to have a barbecue is to follow these instructions very carefully. Cut an oil drum in half, fill it to within six inches of the brim with charcoal. Soak it liberally in petrol, paraffin or some other hydrocarbon based flammable liquid (from experience don't use diesel; it's very heavy and only ignites at extreme temperatures). Throw a burning rag on top to ignite the bbq. Watch the most amazing fireball engulf your garden. Phone for a takeaway.

Is there a YouTube link to this personal experience of yours?

I'm a veggie, so if you choose to disregard this I understand, but I come from a huge grilling/meat eating family. My dad/brother bought a charcoal grill around five years ago and have been really happy with it. The different things you can do using different "fuels" and techniques and such vastly outstrips a gas grill. My dad still has an older gas grill for nights when he wants to grill something quick, or do a whole grilled meal (veggies, corn, whatever). That may not be as applicable as he lives in California where you can grill just about year round. Going on the opinion of those around me Charcoal is the way to go.
  • Options
    Sorry @SDAddick I'm afraid I'm not the sort of person to waste time taking photos of things - I just live for the moment. If it's alliterative fuels you are interested in I can recommend the following:
    ➤ Meths - gives your fireball a nice purple tinge
    ➤ Copper Chloride - for a pretty blue effect
    ➤ Sodium/Magnesium - no need to worry with the rag, just throw some water about
    ➤ Palace fan - gives a pretty red and blue glow. Works well with a Millwall fan in the middle
    ➤ Thermite - good value if you want to dig a large hole or trench

btw, here's an interesting photo of me typing this post:

typing (1 of 1)

• Options
    Charcoal all day long, now that's sorted all I need is something in the garden to keep the beers cold, any suggestions?
  • Options

Charcoal all day long, now that's sorted all I need is something in the garden to keep the beers cold, any suggestions?

Bucket full of ice and water does the trick.
  • Options
    Use gas for convenience and coal when I've got more time or I'm away with the campervan. Tastes much better with charcoal, but if I just used that I'd have fewer barbeques.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Sorry @SDAddick I'm afraid I'm not the sort of person to waste time taking photos of things - I just live for the moment. If it's alliterative fuels you are interested in I can recommend the following:
    ➤ Meths - gives your fireball a nice purple tinge
    ➤ Copper Chloride - for a pretty blue effect
    ➤ Sodium/Magnesium - no need to worry with the rag, just throw some water about
    ➤ Palace fan - gives a pretty red and blue glow. Works well with a Millwall fan in the middle
    ➤ Thermite - good value if you want to dig a large hole or trench

btw, here's an interesting photo of me typing this post:

typing (1 of 1)

Quality bottle opener @Stig
  • Options
    From stings photo we can see he's married maybe, enjoys a beer maybe and how bizarre(weird)a Charlton fan ....you give to much away ,next thing I'll be clearing your bank account :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who's sting ??
  • Options
    Gas for convenience - it also means you can use it every day in the summer, without the palaver of 'lighting' it. Morning, noon and night.

Egg and bacon al fresco on a sunny summers morning is wonderful. Especially with a large mug of steaming hot strong tea.
  • Options
    SIDSID
    edited April 2016

SID said:

JiMMy 85 said:

OK, but why? I'm sure I'm not the only one who is interested, as one who has never owned or used a gas one.
    To put it simply it didn't taste as good.
    I suppose the difference is that cooking over charcoal infuses the food with the smoke from whichever fuel you use, cooking over gas doesn't give that. My gas bbq has 'flavour bars' which are supposed to give the same effect by heating up the fat that drips on them thus creating smoke but it just doesn't give the smokey bbq taste. As others have said its just like cooking over a normal gas hob.
    When fish or meat is smoked, different wood chippings or various addatives are used to flavour the product so it must have an effect; but I guess differing palettes means it's all subjective.
  • Options

Who's sting ??

An Englishman in New York?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    SID said:

SID said:

JiMMy 85 said:

I suppose the difference is that cooking over charcoal infuses the food with the smoke from whichever fuel you use, cooking over gas doesn't give that. My gas bbq has 'flavour bars' which are supposed to give the same effect by heating up the fat that drips on them thus creating smoke but it just doesn't give the smokey bbq taste. As others have said its just like cooking over a normal gas hob.
    When fish or meat is smoked, different wood chippings or various addatives are used to flavour the product so it must have an effect; but I guess differing palettes means it's all subjective.
    Whenever I BBQ fish, I always wrap it in foil anyway.

The infused flavours come from whatever you wrap the fish up with, from just butter or lemon to some more exotic herbs and spices, or whatever you've marinated it in prior to cooking.

• Options
    SIDSID
    edited April 2016

The infused flavours come from whatever you wrap the fish up with, from just butter or lemon to some more exotic herbs and spices, or whatever you've marinated it in prior to cooking.

I sometimes do that too. But obviously if you wrap the food in foil it's not going to be flavoured by the smoke. You could put it in the oven and it would taste just the same. In my previous post when I mentioned addatives I meant addatives to the wood clippings not directly onto the food.

EDIT: I wish I could get this quoting stuff right!
  • Options
    I've had both gas and coals. Dumped both of them. I think BBQs are an excuse to drink in the garden. I now have more time to drink.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

SID said:

SID said:

JiMMy 85 said:

:worried:
  • Options
    Coal, you gas using freaks. Might as well use a microwave.

The more important question is what did Stig use to take that photo, his mouth?!
  • Options
    Coal is good if you are an infrequent BBQer or for small gatherings. Gas is far more efficient if you are a regular BBQer or if you are having a large gathering.

The South Africans know their way around a BBQ though and they are coal all the way. Given the sheer amount of meat they go through on a BBQ I'd trust their judgement.