Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

(Ed) Fifteen years ago today.... announced Curbs leaving

Comments

• Options
    'I just felt the club needs a bit of a change of direction, and hopefully it works out'

Well it didn't, cheers Al :neutral:
  • Options
    Thank goodness he left, knew he had taken us as far as he could. We were just ready for that next step into Europe.
  • Options
    I agree with those who say that Richard Murray's reputation is in tatters, but I think his main failing is that he has been too trusting of people (and probably a bad judge of character).

We all want a club owner who will let the coaching staff get on with their job, well I don't think there was ever a sense that RM interfered with playing matters. He appointed his managers, backed them as best he could with the situation of the time and left them to get on with it.

In Curbs he had someone he cold both trust to do the right thing by the club and one who had excellent judgement. I think Parky had a reasonable amount of integrity too - having him in charge probably stopped us going under completely when in League 1, even if we all had higher ambitions that that. In between that he appointed the chancers that were Dowie and Pardew and they shafted him. He's backed the wrong horse twice now with new owners too.

• Options

LouisMend said:

Wow, I haven't heard that in ten years. Great find.
    I have it on my computer. I just uploaded it to Audioboo. :wink:
    In fact I saved quite a few audio interviews from the old official site. I've replaced my computer twice over the years but I've kept those audios.
    Good job, JessieAddick. From recollection, Sky had a technical problem and didn't capture it.
  • Options
    Heartbreaking , we'll never be in that situation again...
  • Options
    Ten years ago today.... announced Curbs leaving .. and that was the start of an ever accelerating slide downhill .. apart from the odd stop in a lay by
  • Options

Interesting to remind ourselves of the team for that Blacburn match:

Andersen, Sankofa, Sorondo (Fortune 74), Perry, Powell, Kishishev (Sam 59), Holland, Hughes, Ambrose, Darren Bent, Bartlett (Lisbie 59). Subs Not Used: Myhre, Euell.

Take Bent's goals out of the picture and it looks pretty weak. Some honest triers in there (& some not), but arguably past their peak (Perry, Powell, Holland, Kish), and our "successful youth policy" (copyright Peter Varney 1995-2007) wasn't delivering. We needed change. And when the time came, Murray mismanaged the change process completely. The problems did not start on this day, the rot was beginning to set in, and we failed to correct it.

Why did we need a change! Finishing 7th not good enough. Be careful what you wish for. This was the start of the slide and look where we are now!
  • Options
    That was a unique day.

Literally fighting amongst ourselves in Greenwich park and the Plume of Feathers.

Didn't go to the game in the end.

Bad day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And 10 years?!?!?! Really?
  • Options
    I'll always refer to him as Sir Alan. I hope one day we can have times like that again with another legend. Looks very unlikely now :-(
  • Options
    Cambridge said:

Just to really cement the hatred the forum appears to have for me, I'm not sure I've ever read comments with more rose tinted glasses. Curbs had taken the club as far as he could, and removing him was an attempt (seen to be unsuccessful of course but an attempt) to take charlton to the next level. Curbs' football was as interesting as the proverbial paint drying. 10 men behind the ball, a back 6 played every game no matter home or away and any opposition. When rumoured for the England job I told a friend playing 6 at the back against San Marino at Wembley would go down well! But at least we'd win 1-0. Not that anyone will read this properly and just shout, but Curbs did, I agree, almost guarantee safety in the prem. At what cost? Boring boring football, that's what. All rose tinted glasses - the fans chanted for him to leave. And he left. We aimed higher than him - Europe and nice football. Yes it failed, but we tried. But remembering Curbs as this amazing fellow is just re-writing history. On top of all that clubs and fans have learnt that having 1 guy run the entire club is a mistake (see Ferguson) as the future is damned. You have to have continuity planning, you gave to be able to keep running a club when that 1 guy leaves. If he dominates everything it's impossible. Club mistake!
    So there we go, abuse to start no doubt. But that's the actual history of Cyrbs. I for one am proud charting tried to evolve, succeed, achieve more. Yes we got it wrong, but getting rid of curbs was in fact the right decision to try.

Curbishley left of his own accord . You're, of course, entitled to your opinion, even if it is utter bile . I can only assume that you only attended games towards the end of his tenure
  • Options
    Agreed... I was bored stiff when we went fourth and smashed Chelsea to bits on boxing day...
  • Options
    Listening to that audioboom is just heart breaking....

I fucking loved that bloke...

Utter utter disaster ever since, with a another knife in the guts when our genuine chance with CP was extinguished by these utter utter c**** ... All I want is them out could not care less if it leaves us in non league... these people, if we can even call them that, deserve nothing but a cursed life full of pain ...

• Options

"Alan has masterminded this success and deserves our total admiration."

Probably the last honest sentence ever to come out to Richard Murray's mouth.

Shame he wasn't given/offered the 11-12 million given to Dowie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jessie said:
    Bump, that Audioboom is worth a listen again :-(
  • Options
    The day that Charlton fans finally hounded Curbishley out of the club*

*according to the press, Roy Hodgson and people who know nothing about Charlton Athletic
  • Options
    Wow how time flies! Even this thread is now five years old...

It's always going to be extremely difficult to replace someone who's in charge for such a long time. I do think though if Curbs had stayed on for another year and helped with a smoothier transition, things might have turned out differently. Shame Murray didn't want it that way.
  • Options
    Things have gone from strength to strength since then :disappointed:
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Start of a downward spiral that we haven't recovered from. Perhaps now with TS as the owner is our first genuine chance to claw back to where Curbs left us. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Was never a case of Curbs had taken the club as far as he could, more the club had gone as far as it could. The “next level” would require investment the board at the time did not have the resources or desire to provide. Nothing wrong with that, it’s just how it was.

He was always going to leave at some point, and Murray’s logic for rushing it through a bit did hold some water, but staying up one more season was very significant as it would’ve earnt us a share of a much increased TV deal. It was a bad year to roll the dice.

All easy with hindsight, and we have subsequently had some highs we wouldn’t have done had it not all started to go tits up after he left so I’m not bitter about it. Just part of the life experience of being a football fan. 

As stated above though, this idea he was forced out by impatient, unappreciative fans is and always has been utter bollocks. A few vocal idiots on football phone ins do not, and have never, spoken for the majority of fans.