Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

(Ed) Fifteen years ago today.... announced Curbs leaving

13»

Comments

• Options
    Looking back it's easy to be upset about the bad choices we made, especially given where we are now, but it did feel that this parting of the ways was inevitable at a certain point. I don't think the biggest issue is that Curbs reached an end point with us, but that the next step was so important and we cocked it up entirely. Two major things had to go right, and they both went horribly wrong; the new structure had to work, and the new manager had to be a good choice. Murray tried to put in a new structure that had to be abandoned almost immediately, and he hired a manager who wasn't any good, had managed to get into the PL but had immediately got relegated from it while reliant on one excellent striker's goals entirely, and only really got the job to spite a local rival. On top of that the finances were also wrecked completely in the process. You could feel the bitterness flowing out of Murray at this point for Curbs getting all the credit for Charlton's success instead of him, and it was no surprise when Murray gave Dowie more money in one window than he'd given Curbs in any preceding season, while Dowie also failed to bring any money in for players at all. We spent £10.7m that summer (on some absolute dreck) and brought in £300,000, which barely covered Hasselbaink's shorts bill. We later sold a player in January for £1m, but it was Traore and we'd signed him for £2m that summer. That's what really killed us, our net spend was £12.4m on unsaleable assets that season and we're only just recovering from the impact that had now, and we're still being held to ransom by Roland regarding the assets.
    The big question is who could we have got instead of Dowie? I seem to remember that we'd offered it to Billy Davies and he changed his mind (quite a Charlton theme that with Howe and Wilder as well) but he went on to be a) not very good and b) insane so possibly a lucky miss there. Mick McCarthy was also available but not one to set pulses racing. Who else was even out there at the time? I think we were quite unfortunate that when Curbs did reach his endpoint there wasn't an obvious quality managerial replacement for him out there. Maybe if Murray had been a wizard he could have gone for Guardiola before he started at Barce B!
    Well said

I remember the first home game under Dowie, and after 10 / 15 minutes, I turned my Dad and said ‘we are going to be relegated’ - Dad thought I had been on the sauce to make a prediction like that so early in the season - 5 or 6 games later he was in full agreement with me - a dreadful season
  • Options
    Looking back it's easy to be upset about the bad choices we made, especially given where we are now, but it did feel that this parting of the ways was inevitable at a certain point. I don't think the biggest issue is that Curbs reached an end point with us, but that the next step was so important and we cocked it up entirely. Two major things had to go right, and they both went horribly wrong; the new structure had to work, and the new manager had to be a good choice. Murray tried to put in a new structure that had to be abandoned almost immediately, and he hired a manager who wasn't any good, had managed to get into the PL but had immediately got relegated from it while reliant on one excellent striker's goals entirely, and only really got the job to spite a local rival. On top of that the finances were also wrecked completely in the process. You could feel the bitterness flowing out of Murray at this point for Curbs getting all the credit for Charlton's success instead of him, and it was no surprise when Murray gave Dowie more money in one window than he'd given Curbs in any preceding season, while Dowie also failed to bring any money in for players at all. We spent £10.7m that summer (on some absolute dreck) and brought in £300,000, which barely covered Hasselbaink's shorts bill. We later sold a player in January for £1m, but it was Traore and we'd signed him for £2m that summer. That's what really killed us, our net spend was £12.4m on unsaleable assets that season and we're only just recovering from the impact that had now, and we're still being held to ransom by Roland regarding the assets.
    The big question is who could we have got instead of Dowie? I seem to remember that we'd offered it to Billy Davies and he changed his mind (quite a Charlton theme that with Howe and Wilder as well) but he went on to be a) not very good and b) insane so possibly a lucky miss there. Mick McCarthy was also available but not one to set pulses racing. Who else was even out there at the time? I think we were quite unfortunate that when Curbs did reach his endpoint there wasn't an obvious quality managerial replacement for him out there. Maybe if Murray had been a wizard he could have gone for Guardiola before he started at Barce B!
    Oh, to think what we might have achieved if Curbs had been given the money that Dowie squandered. I remember reading the Liverpool and Newcastle message boards when we signed Traore and Faye respectively. They were all pissing themselves that they'd managed to get a transfer fee for players that they would have paid to see the back of.

With the exception of Andy Reid, who was an excellent player, you could make a direct comparison between each Dowie signing and a Curbs equivalent that had cost far less and delivered far more.

Absolutely love watching Curbs on Valley Pass now, and his appearances on the Paddy Power ads. Hope there's a way to keep him involved once crowds are allowed to return.

• Options
    After leaving Cafc, and then again after leaving West ham ,Curbs has spent more time in his own garden than Monty Don has in his.

Murray you silly sod.
  • Options
    The club always comes 1st.

Most Charlton fans did not want curbs sacked, including myself. Think I was probably just 15 at the time.

The pundits or moaning ex managers can do one.

Charlton fans have and had the right to question alternatives for a change and think about different pathways of success.

It wasn't a grass is always greener "Those Charlton don't even appreciate anything" sort of arguement.

Alan curbishley was an outstanding manager and did a great job. It was appreciated.

It is not our fault that the club completely crumbled after curbs left. We do not make the choices in the boardroom.

For anyone that felt like it was time for curbs to leave, you have the complete right to have that validated opinion. It is no one else's business. You just wanted what you thought was best for the club. It's not about individuals. It is about Charlton athletic.

• Options
    Curbs Sacked ?

Alan  went early because unlike in Germany with Nagelsman for the second time in his career, English clubs prefer Gardening leave than Managers working on after they have given notice they are looking for pastures new.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    "He has done all he can for us. We need to move to the next level".

Scrubs GIF  Gfycat
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Oh, to think what we might have achieved if Curbs had been given the money that Dowie squandered. I remember reading the Liverpool and Newcastle message boards when we signed Traore and Faye respectively. They were all pissing themselves that they'd managed to get a transfer fee for players that they would have paid to see the back of.

With the exception of Andy Reid, who was an excellent player, you could make a direct comparison between each Dowie signing and a Curbs equivalent that had cost far less and delivered far more.

Absolutely love watching Curbs on Valley Pass now, and his appearances on the Paddy Power ads. Hope there's a way to keep him involved once crowds are allowed to return.

Exactly. Even Reid, as good a player and lovely a man as he was, probably came at a price that Curbs would have balked at. I think we could have got him for less than we did as Spurs really didn't want him anymore but we were a bit desperate. Hasselbaink on a free was handed outrageous wages, especially considering he was a player Middlesbrough didn't want anymore. Every deal we made was a bad one with the exception of Scott Carson on loan.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Exactly. Even Reid, as good a player and lovely a man as he was, probably came at a price that Curbs would have balked at. I think we could have got him for less than we did as Spurs really didn't want him anymore but we were a bit desperate. Hasselbaink on a free was handed outrageous wages, especially considering he was a player Middlesbrough didn't want anymore. Every deal we made was a bad one with the exception of Scott Carson on loan.

The dignity of the proceedings just went completely out of the window. It's like we had actually learned nothing. We forgot what we was actually good at and very niavely decided to go down a path of self deterioration. 

Did Murray just think..."ah with curbs gone I can now simply just behave like an absolute bellend".

Sounds like it