Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fund-raiser gig this summer?

I'm exploring the idea of a protest fund-raiser gig for some time this summer - late July perhaps. But before any solid commitment, it would be useful to gauge likely support for such an event.

I'd propose a line-up of 3 or 4 bands, including The 2percent, plus one other band that I'm involved with. In addition I'd like to involve other bands or musicians that have a connection to CL.

I've a few ideas regarding a venue - to be explored, but if anyone can suggest somewhere that is sympathetic towards the fan's protests, where they would be happy to accommodate us, that would be preferred. If this looks feasible I'll also be open to any complimentary fund-raising ideas, suitable for such an event.

Feedback appreciated - thanks.

Comments

• Good idea.
  • With beer
  • With beer?

But of course!
  • IAgree said:

With beer

Good question sir. Could skip the bands and have a beer festival!
  • Great idea. Can't help with venue suggestions I'm afraid.
    Although Johnnie Jackson's back garden might be a plan!
    Gas or coal BBQ though? ☺
  • You could try The Valley, it worked for The Who.
  • Seriously though what about Charlton Park.
  • You could try The Valley, it worked for The Who.

Yes, but that was back in the days when people wanted to go to the valley .
  • Great idea
  • Charlton Park seems a good idea. Not sure how much planning you would need for that tho? Permission from council etc.

What a great idea. You obviously know Geoff from the Swan/Pelton Arms is keen to get you playing. But prob not big enough for a big fundraiser though the Swan garden is big.

• Sponsored links:

• Would Welling be up for it?
  • + of course Gillingham hate us so could be sympathetic.
  • Could try getting Glenn tilbrook involved
  • Pelton Arms would be great and a certain fellow Addick Glenn Tilbrook was doing a dj set there not to long ago if I remember rightly.
  • I would try and go to this
  • Great idea, I'd be there
  • edited April 2016
    I love the idea. However wouldn't a pre season football match not be an easier idea to implement.

Charlton fans v Charlton legends x11.

Winner gets a brand new sofa or a trophy with Roland out on.
  • My band would definitely be up for this mate but what genre limitations are you imposing? Perhaps as it's a fundraiser look at 6-10 bands and make it an all dayer. Always good fun during the Summer!
  • Great idea.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2016
    My band would be up for this depending on the date

riffraffuk.com
  • If there is support for this I'd be aiming for a Saturday, - either 23rd or 30th July. Ideally I'd like to involve bands who support of have an affinity with CAFC
  • My band would definitely be up for this mate but what genre limitations are you imposing? Perhaps as it's a fundraiser look at 6-10 bands and make it an all dayer. Always good fun during the Summer!

I have no strong preconceptions, but I suppose it would make sense not to wander far from mainstream popular music.
  • Could be worth getting in contact with: Captial FM's Dave Berry - he could get involved somehow , even if it's just getting the message out there/using his contacts!

Glen Tilbrook - I'm sure he'd be interested in getting involved. I know Squeeze are playing "On Blackheath" in September so could use this as a little warm up do!

Potentially someone like Pixie Lott who has in the past said she supports Charlton (as well as WHUFC) could be interested?

Could also be worth getting in contact with both Alan & Steve White who both played drums for bands like oasis and with Paul Weller!
  • This is a great idea
  • Try the meridian sports Charlton
  • Jim Davidson might compere it for you
  • Pleaase can we do 23rd July? Purely selfish reasons as can't make 30th. :-)
  • Looking at past threads on here about famous fans we could get together a group of

Oasis drummer - Alan White
    Mika
    Pixie Lott
    Glen Tilbrook
    Paul Weller's drummer - Steve White
    Lee Ryan - Blue
    Cheryl Baker - Bucks Fizz can dedicate 'Land of Make Believe' and 'If You Can't Stand the Heat' to RD

Are we having speakers belting out songs in Floyd Road against Burnley? Can remember 'Got no Strings' being broadcast at a previous game.

Perhaps we can keep playing the theme from 'Only Fools and Horses'

• dont forget to invite Windscreen, or whatever he's calling himself these days