Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hats off BBC

Two varied but excellent dramas (Line of Duty and The A Word) concluded this week shortly off the back of the equally excellent The Night Manager and the OJ Simpson Story.

Chuck in Cradle to the Grave, Car Share, Happy Valley and Attenborough's natural stuff, and the quality over the last 6 months I don't think has ever been higher.

Comments

• Options
    Have enjoyed The A Word (although I havent watched the last couple yet), Cradle to the Grave and Car Share more than anything I can remember in the last few years.
    Really hope they do a 2nd series of Cradle to the Grave in particular, thought it was excellent.
  • Options
    Line of Duty was immense
  • Options
    I do have one bone to pick with them. Football commentary not being available online has driven me crazy for a couple of years now. I assume it's not their fault and it's something to do with the contracts that the FL have but it's infuriating at times.
  • Options
    Not getting the furore over line of duty. Haven't watched the last two yet but the plot's got more holes in it than a pack of polo's.
    The bent copper is farcical and I think the lead detective fella and the girl out of 'this is England' are weak.
  • Options
    Night Manager was excellent tv.
  • Options
    The last episode was brilliant as was the while series. Took it up a lot from series 2
  • Options
    Excited for this:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/apr/28/bbc-and-netflix-team-up-for-new-watership-down-production

Apparently Netflix collaborated on The Night Manager, which I've not seen but will look in to. I thought there was some collaboration on "Happy Valley," as it says "Netflix Original" here in the States. I've only seen the first couple episodes but it's brilliant.
  • Options
    100% agree. There has been a big debate about tv licence money recently. I think the bbc has been worth every penny in recent months!
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    SDAddick said:

Excited for this:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/apr/28/bbc-and-netflix-team-up-for-new-watership-down-production

Apparently Netflix collaborated on The Night Manager, which I've not seen but will look in to. I thought there was some collaboration on "Happy Valley," as it says "Netflix Original" here in the States. I've only seen the first couple episodes but it's brilliant.

I saw something in the UK this evening on Netflix which was billed as "Netflix Original" but had the BBC intro. I presume they're working together a bit at the moment.

I'm not sure what the Netflix offering is like over in the US* other than it being quite a bit bigger, but the amount of BBC content on it in the UK is brilliant; old comedies and documentaries galore. It bugs me a little bit as I still feel that stuff should be on iPlayer out of principle in the UK, but on the other hand I imagine it's a brilliant way of them using older content to generate new revenue.

I actually watched the entire season of "Top Boy" and on Netflix today, and it's also how I re-discovered Louis Theroux's early 00's BBC documentaries.

(*Not sure whether I can simply log in to my normal Netflix account with my VPN turned on to see what's available over there?)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2016
    LuckyReds said:

SDAddick said:

Excited for this:

I saw something in the UK this evening on Netflix which was billed as "Netflix Original" but had the BBC intro. I presume they're working together a bit at the moment.

I'm not sure what the Netflix offering is like over in the US* other than it being quite a bit bigger, but the amount of BBC content on it in the UK is brilliant. Old comedies and documentaries galore. It bugs me a bit as I still feel that stuff should be on iPlayer out of principle in the UK, but on the other hand I imagine it's a brilliant way of them using older content to generate new revenue.

(Not sure whether I can simply log in to my normal Netflix account with my VPN turned on to see what's available over there?)
    Yeah if your VPN is through a US IP or you can make it appear that you're coming from a US IP you should be able to get the American version. When I was in the UK I had access to everything on UK Netflix.

Also, I agree with you on iPlayer, I'd probably feel the same. But that said, I'd guess it's a pretty productive and lucrative partnership, and as you say generating revenue is important for them, as is creating good, original content.

Also, let's not forget Sherlock...
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    SDAddick said:

LuckyReds said:

SDAddick said:

Excited for this:

I'm not sure what the Netflix offering is like over in the US* other than it being quite a bit bigger, but the amount of BBC content on it in the UK is brilliant. Old comedies and documentaries galore. It bugs me a bit as I still feel that stuff should be on iPlayer out of principle in the UK, but on the other hand I imagine it's a brilliant way of them using older content to generate new revenue.

(Not sure whether I can simply log in to my normal Netflix account with my VPN turned on to see what's available over there?)
    Yeah if your VPN is through a US IP or you can make it appear that you're coming from a US IP you should be able to get the American version. When I was in the UK I had access to everything on UK Netflix.
    Awesome! Cheers for the heads up.

I always imagined they'd have something more complex in place, perhaps falling back to your billing/account information. Great to hear that it's nothing so tricky though. I'm sadly quite excited to log in and have a browse now... (I probably need to get out more.)
  • Options
    Netflix has really clamped down on using VPN after pressure from the studios and distributors. Doubt it will work anymore. The VPN I use to get the iPlayer from here no longer works with Netflix.
  • Options
    All available on Kodi
  • Options
    Peaky Blinders back next week too!
  • Options
    The A word finally got the wife and me watching something together, and she even put her phone down.
  • Options
    I do feel the BBC is some what taken for granted.
    Easy to knock and not appreciated as much ,as maybe, it should
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The A word finally got the wife and me watching something together, and she even put her phone down.

Small steps! As long as the housework and cooking are getting done, it sounds to me like you've got a good deal.
  • Options

Not getting the furore over line of duty. Haven't watched the last two yet but the plot's got more holes in it than a pack of polo's.
    The bent copper is farcical and I think the lead detective fella and the girl out of 'this is England' are weak.

I couldn't disagree more. It was a fantastic drama well acted and written. You should have watched the last two episodes. I agree with AFKA, there have been some great drama's on BBC.

• Options

Netflix has really clamped down on using VPN after pressure from the studios and distributors. Doubt it will work anymore. The VPN I use to get the iPlayer from here no longer works with Netflix.

I took @Stu_in_Kunming's advice and tried Astrill. It is good, so many different servers, and I can now get Netflix from Thailand, UK and USA.
  • Options
    I don't usually do 'must watch' for series on TV, but Line of Duty was exceptional and certainly kept everyone quiet while it was on.

A tad disappointed with the final 15 minutes and the inevitable 'chase', but looking forward to the next series.

• Options

I don't usually do 'must watch' for series on TV, but Line of Duty was exceptional and certainly kept everyone quiet while it was on.

A tad disappointed with the final 15 minutes and the inevitable 'chase', but looking forward to the next series.

agree about the last 15 minutes, especially the marksmanship. Thought the last two episodes sorted out one of the show major flaws, as in you actually started to like/root for AC12.
  • Options

I loved the last 15 minutes. Alright, you have to suspend believe but edge of the seat stuff.
  • Options

Agree completely. Great series overall though.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

SDAddick said:

LuckyReds said:

SDAddick said:

Excited for this:

Awesome! Cheers for the heads up.

I always imagined they'd have something more complex in place, perhaps falling back to your billing/account information. Great to hear that it's nothing so tricky though. I'm sadly quite excited to log in and have a browse now... (I probably need to get out more.)
    No judgements from me mate. When I was in London I remember my friends and I spent like an hour going back and forth on things on the UK Netflix versus the US version.

Did you get through okay? I just realized it's been a year and a half since I did it (and a year and a half away from SE London) so they might have wised up.

Lastly, I think you work in software. No clue if it's your thing, but some of the stuff they put out on mega data and architecture is really, really interesting. They tend to be quite guarded with some of their algorithms (though I think that's changing a bit). I used to work with a couple guys who are there now, and if you follow their various blogs and stuff they post some interesting things (which I have to confess are technically a little above my head).
  • Options
    Great to read this as a big BBC fan, not least because of the dramas @AFKABartram listed, I only watched he Night Manager. I'm locked into all the BBC4 Scandi stuff, which admittedly isn't their own work, but they brought it to us, together with Mad Men, never forget. the licence fee is the hands down the best value for money in the world of broadcasting. i just wish I could pay it instead of paying for a huge satellite dish and a VPN (mine is Zenmate, very happy with it, they also claim to encrypt all your data).
  • Options

Great to read this as a big BBC fan, not least because of the dramas @AFKABartram listed, I only watched he Night Manager. I'm locked into all the BBC4 Scandi stuff, which admittedly isn't their own work, but they brought it to us, together with Mad Men, never forget. the licence fee is the hands down the best value for money in the world of broadcasting. i just wish I could pay it instead of paying for a huge satellite dish and a VPN (mine is Zenmate, very happy with it, they also claim to encrypt all your data).

On the topic of Scandi stuff, have they brought "Occupied" (Norway) to the UK yet? Its on Netflix here in the states, I'm about halfway through and so far it's really, really good.