Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Police Commissioner Elections

Seeing as I shall shortly be pooping out to Vote, I realised I have received no information whatsoever about this election of the candidates.

So rather that vote blind I've had a quick look online as to who will possibly be replacing that roaring success who was Anne Barnes.

Three candidates stand out for me as having the necessary experience and policing proposals that we really need here in Kent. Here are some soundbites from their leaflets.....

1) "I was a Cathedral Chorister in Rochester"
2) "Our Kent Police will be armed to prevent illegal immigrants entering England via Kent"
3) "I am a member of the organising group for the annual World Custard-Pie Throwing Championships"

Decisions, decisions.

Comments

• Options
    3, obviously.
  • Options
    I'm guessing

1. UKIP
    2. Labour
    3. Tory
  • Options
    Just realised I have to vote for two candidates.

Bloody PR
  • Options
    1. One Love Party
    2. Greens
    3. Cannabis is safer than alcohol party
  • Options
    I looked as well and it is rather short on information about any of them!
  • Options

Addickted said:

Bloody PR

You don't and most people won't. I refuse to vote in it because it's a huge waste of public money.
    Just back from my Essex polling station. There was nothing anywhere that explained that the second vote was optional. The person in charge of the station didn't believe us when we pointed this out. She had to go and read the notices. So, at 4pm, we were the first people to query this oversight. Not going well is it?
  • Options
    What on earth has a Kent election got to do with Charlton Athletic. Bloody country bumpkins wasting all our time with their provincial nonsense!
  • Options
    What a waste of time. I found out today some Kent schools have closed for the polling. I had one leaflet last night at around 6pm, joke.

Take a pen, write and then select Nebojsa Vignjevic. Job done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

Seeing as I shall shortly be pooping out to Vote, I realised I have received no information whatsoever about this election of the candidates.

So rather that vote blind I've had a quick look online as to who will possibly be replacing that roaring success who was Anne Barnes.

Three candidates stand out for me as having the necessary experience and policing proposals that we really need here in Kent. Here are some soundbites from their leaflets.....

1) "I was a Cathedral Chorister in Rochester"
    2) "Our Kent Police will be armed to prevent illegal immigrants entering England via Kent"
    3) "I am a member of the organising group for the annual World Custard-Pie Throwing Championships"

Decisions, decisions.

Freudian slip?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Bloody PR

You don't and most people won't. I refuse to vote in it because it's a huge waste of public money.
    Well I'm there anyway as we have local elections as well.

It would be rude not to and I couldn't bear to see another Anne Barnes get in.

Looking through the candidates websites is fascinating, particularly No. 2.

"...armed Kent English Policeman, who will have the authority to shoot if necessary at anyone illegally attempting to enter our England".

Not sure if this is the sort of thing Prague wants to hear.
    Probably not, given his previous with the UK Border Force.
  • Options
    Just to piss off se9addick more, I want to widen the thread out to include Devon and Cornwall pcc.
    I haven't had any literature and have no intention of voting anyway. Not only a waste of time and money but politicises the police.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

3. Cannabis is safer than alcohol party

Well... It is
  • Options
    The police commissioner elections are the only vote I have ever declined to take part in. It is a huge waste of cash on a role that seems irrelevant and potentially ends up giving a political spin to a group of public servants that should remain independent.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Could be interesting for our next head coach when he arrives off the ferry at Dover
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    kigelia said:

The police commissioner elections are the only vote I have ever declined to take part in. It is a huge waste of cash on a role that seems irrelevant and potentially ends up giving a political spin to a group of public servants that should remain independent.

Couldn't agree more, the role of police commissioner shouldn't be party political. They are supposed to serve the public and the law, not the political interests of the government.

I know that's an idealistic view, but we shouldn't allow such blatant politicising of our nation's policing.
  • Options

kigelia said:

Couldn't agree more, the role of police commissioner shouldn't be party political. They are supposed to serve the public and the law, not the political interests of the government.

I know that's an idealistic view, but we shouldn't allow such blatant politicising of our nation's policing.
    I agree completely.

Any shred of integrity to the whole affair is immediately removed when there's affiliation with political parties: something which makes no sense in the context of a PCC. In conclusion, a waste of money for an election with around 15% turning out last time.

It doesn't look like this years turnout will be much better either:

• Options
    What is this Kent place?
  • Options
    I'm looking for a little part-time job - do you get paid for this?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shit! Just googled it - I am definitely going for that gravy train next time it arrives in the station. 70 to 85k average!
  • Options

I'm guessing

1. UKIP
    2. Labour
    3. Tory

As it stands at 14:08 with a couple of areas still to declare, first round looks like Tory just edging UKIP with Labour trailing 3rd. Second preference votes will be interesting!
  • Options

I'm guessing

1. UKIP
    2. Labour
    3. Tory

As it stands at 14:08 with a couple of areas still to declare, first round looks like Tory just edging UKIP with Labour trailing 3rd. Second preference votes will be interesting!
    whooosh

: - :smile:
  • Options
    Conservative candidate Matthew Scott was elected.
  • Options
    Senpai said:

Which one was he?
  • Options

Senpai said:

Which one was he?
    Reading Kentonline he is a keen musician who has played in several cover bands. He was a councillor in Bexley between 2006 and 2010.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Actually it pains me to say it but the UKIP Candidate looked far and away the most able and qualified.

Had to laugh at the English Democrat putting his Duke Of Edinburgh Award on his CV (as highly as I think of that award).
  • Options
    And the answers were....

1) Labour
    2) English Democrats
    3) Liberal Democrats
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Addickted said:

Bloody PR

Just back from my Essex polling station. There was nothing anywhere that explained that the second vote was optional. The person in charge of the station didn't believe us when we pointed this out. She had to go and read the notices. So, at 4pm, we were the first people to query this oversight. Not going well is it?
    Interesting. I ran a polling station in Southend yesterday and worked on the count today. Quite how there's anyone who didn't understand the voting procedure is beyond me because the instruction that we got was (as ever) brilliant:
    ● About a month ago all polling station staff were sent a printed copy of this guide (my understanding is that these are sent to all polling station staff nationally). For those that care to check, the procedure for PCC elections is clearly stated on page 2.
    ● A week ago we had the usual excellent training course where voting procedure and all sorts of other processes were explained.
    ● When we went to collect our ballot boxes earlier this the week, we were treated to a speech from the returning officer who again reminded us of the voting procedures.

I fully understand why people have concerns about these elections as the cost of administering them must be huge for something that very few people care about, but how you can end up with polling station staff who don't understand the voting procedure baffles me.
  • Options
    Stig said:

cafcfan said:

Addickted said:

Bloody PR

Interesting. I ran a polling station in Southend yesterday and worked on the count today. Quite how there's anyone who didn't understand the voting procedure is beyond me because the instruction that we got was (as ever) brilliant:
    ● About a month ago all polling station staff were sent a printed copy of this guide (my understanding is that these are sent to all polling station staff nationally). For those that care to check, the procedure for PCC elections is clearly stated on page 2.
    ● A week ago we had the usual excellent training course where voting procedure and all sorts of other processes were explained.
    ● When we went to collect our ballot boxes earlier this the week, we were treated to a speech from the returning officer who again reminded us of the voting procedures.

I fully understand why people have concerns about these elections as the cost of administering them must be huge for something that very few people care about, but how you can end up with polling station staff who don't understand the voting procedure baffles me.
    Snap Stig, I was the presiding officer at one of the stations on Canvey Island, pretty straight forward really.

Mind you at least this police vote was accompanied by the local election, encouraging the public to vote. I did the police one two years ago and it was a stand alone vote, we had 83 people vote in 15 hours, the longest day of my life!

The conservative won in Essex, I also did the count this afternoon as well. He beat the Ukip guy by about 20,000.