Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Police Commissioner Elections

2»

Comments

• Options
    Essex_Al said:

Stig said:

cafcfan said:

Addickted said:

Just realised I have to vote for two candidates.

Bloody PR

You don't and most people won't. I refuse to vote in it because it's a huge waste of public money.
    Just back from my Essex polling station. There was nothing anywhere that explained that the second vote was optional. The person in charge of the station didn't believe us when we pointed this out. She had to go and read the notices. So, at 4pm, we were the first people to query this oversight. Not going well is it?
    Interesting. I ran a polling station in Southend yesterday and worked on the count today. Quite how there's anyone who didn't understand the voting procedure is beyond me because the instruction that we got was (as ever) brilliant:
    ● About a month ago all polling station staff were sent a printed copy of this guide (my understanding is that these are sent to all polling station staff nationally). For those that care to check, the procedure for PCC elections is clearly stated on page 2.
    ● A week ago we had the usual excellent training course where voting procedure and all sorts of other processes were explained.
    ● When we went to collect our ballot boxes earlier this the week, we were treated to a speech from the returning officer who again reminded us of the voting procedures.

I fully understand why people have concerns about these elections as the cost of administering them must be huge for something that very few people care about, but how you can end up with polling station staff who don't understand the voting procedure baffles me.
    Snap Stig, I was the presiding officer at one of the stations on Canvey Island, pretty straight forward really.

Mind you at least this police vote was accompanied by the local election, encouraging the public to vote. I did the police one two years ago and it was a stand alone vote, we had 83 people vote in 15 hours, the longest day of my life!

The conservative won in Essex, I also did the count this afternoon as well. He beat the Ukip guy by about 20,000.
    All that hanging around was a pain this afternoon though. Wasn't it, Al?
  • Options
    Certainly was mate, the free drinks and sarnies helped, do you work for Southend Council?
  • Options
    No, only for elections. Do you work for Castle Point then?
  • Options
    Stig said:

No, only for elections. Do you work for Castle Point then?

Fraid so! (lol)
  • Options
    Stig said:

cafcfan said:

Addickted said:

Just realised I have to vote for two candidates.

Bloody PR

You don't and most people won't. I refuse to vote in it because it's a huge waste of public money.
    Just back from my Essex polling station. There was nothing anywhere that explained that the second vote was optional. The person in charge of the station didn't believe us when we pointed this out. She had to go and read the notices. So, at 4pm, we were the first people to query this oversight. Not going well is it?
    Interesting. I ran a polling station in Southend yesterday and worked on the count today. Quite how there's anyone who didn't understand the voting procedure is beyond me because the instruction that we got was (as ever) brilliant:
    ● About a month ago all polling station staff were sent a printed copy of this guide (my understanding is that these are sent to all polling station staff nationally). For those that care to check, the procedure for PCC elections is clearly stated on page 2.
    ● A week ago we had the usual excellent training course where voting procedure and all sorts of other processes were explained.
    ● When we went to collect our ballot boxes earlier this the week, we were treated to a speech from the returning officer who again reminded us of the voting procedures.

I fully understand why people have concerns about these elections as the cost of administering them must be huge for something that very few people care about, but how you can end up with polling station staff who don't understand the voting procedure baffles me.
    It wasn't that she didn't understand the process. It was just that there was nothing to inform the voter that the second choice was optional on any of the displayed posters, either in the booths or on the walls.

Some people, if unsure, would not have taken the time to ask.