Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Live election tracker

13»

Comments

• Options

not exactly suprised khan is in, when you look at the make up of the people voting.

What on earth do you mean by that ?
    Nice smear attempt. He made the point that ethnic minorities are more likely to vote for an ethnic minority - which is probably true.

Nothing wrong with that either if people feel they relate to him more. But lefties always try and land people in it, don't they?
  • Options
    #handingoutflagslikesweeties
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Lynton Crosby was responsible for the negative campaign, and I'm not sure it did Goldsmith any good.
  • Options

not exactly suprised khan is in, when you look at the make up of the people voting.

Nice smear attempt. He made the point that ethnic minorities are more likely to vote for an ethnic minority - which is probably true.

Nothing wrong with that either if people feel they relate to him more. But lefties always try and land people in it, don't they?

Which is bollocks as the group who vote the most are white middle class older voters
  • Options
    edited May 2016

This is true, and I think it's safe to say that it's a phenomenon that occurs with every group - they vote for someone they can empathise with.

Consider Jeremy Corbyn and Labour; a leader who makes claims about workers rights - for a party that is aimed at the working class. This common ground provides empathy, and empathy leads to support.

David Cameron and Conservatives; a leader who claims to care about enabling economic growth and new opportunities - for a party that is generally seen as being geared towards the slightly higher class who may have business interests.

Politics is all about empathy and finding common ground with the voter, and it's very dificult to dismiss the fact that as a second generation immigrant (who happens to be Muslim) Khan had a very good platform for building a rapport (via empathy) with minorities.

Of course, jumping up and down and screaming racism is inevitable on these topics - but it shouldn't be. That form of discourse is - at best - an inverted form of racism that stifles debates and prevents the open discussion of identity politics and integration. The real question if this is the case is "Did the ethnicity and/or religion of the candidate overrule the common ground of simply being a Londoner?", and subsequently can we work together to get everyone to identify as Londoners first and foremost?

To work together we need to examine the facts and have an open platform for discussing these issues. Closing down conversations because "they're racist" purely because someone suggests it's obvious that ethnic minorities may vote for someone of their own minority, is at best misguided and at worst regressive.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Not sure if his sister can call him independent minded any more! Allowed the "machine" to take over his campaign and any integrity & independence went out the window at the same time.
  • Options
    Oh for fuck sake. Why hasn't anybody mentioned "freedom of speech" yet, then we can just pack up and go home.
  • Options

Not necessarily the case, Hindus and Sikhs (or Jews for that matter) might not necessarily relate more to a Muslim Asian.

Ethnic minorities aren't one large homogeneous group anyway. It's surely more down to social status and income.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gutted he has got in.
    Anyone but him.
    On a side note, why do you not have to provide any form of identification when you vote?
    I thought you would have at least needed a polling card?
  • Options
    Anyone? So that includes Sophie Walker?
  • Options

Gutted he has got in.
    Anyone but him.
    On a side note, why do you not have to provide any form of identification when you vote?

I was always under the impression you DO need your polling card. Mine was certainly checked yesterday, as it always is in any election.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Gutted he has got in.
    Anyone but him.

I was always under the impression you DO need your polling card. Mine was certainly checked yesterday, as it always is in any election.
    The Polling Cards around here in Bromley (and, according to twitter, for all of the London area) seem to specifically have a disclaimer on them telling you you don't need them. The same when I lived in Swanley.

That said, it seems so lax just wondering in - giving an address, and then giving a name. What with low turnouts too - it's got to be open to abuse, surely?
  • Options
    My point exactly.
    There was no reason why I couldn't have taken a phone photo of the list as I entered and got anyone to rock up and say you're them.
    Fucking absurd
  • Options
    I've nevet taken my polling card or any id. just rock up and vote
  • Options
    Glad that such a negative campaign failure. Hopefully it will never happen again. Shame that it worked on a few though.
  • Options

But the post that attracted my comment didn't say that did it. It was imho and I stand to be corrected a thinly veiled dig at the people of London that don't quite fit in with his agenda.

• Options

But the post that attracted my comment didn't say that did it. It was imho and I stand to be corrected a thinly veiled dig at the people of London that don't quite fit in with his agenda.

You were trying to come across as politically and culturally enlightened. Looking down at people who might ask the most remote un-pc question.