Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The sacking of SCP

Comments

• Options
    You're missing my point. It's not just about budget or squad but what you can get out of it. Look at Rotherham post-Warnock, Leicester under Ranieri or Charlton under Curbs, especially the first 4 months of the 2003 season. Being a legend doesn't automatically make you a decent manager.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

It puzzles me how Powell has formed such a strong bond with Charlton given that 98% of our fans are racist.

It's not the colour of the skin, it's the colour of the shirt that matters.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

You're missing my point. It's not just about budget or squad but what you can get out of it. Look at Rotherham post-Warnock, Leicester under Ranieri or Charlton under Curbs, especially the first 4 months of the 2003 season. Being a legend doesn't automatically make you a decent manager.

Except in Chris Powell's case of course. Anybody arguing against what he achieved for us is talking out of their backside I am afraid.

The utter turmoil of the last season he had in charge with us should in no way negate the brilliant times before.
    I don't see people being so forgiving when it comes to Phil Parkinson's season in hell. Talking out of my arse? No, just trying to get a bit of perspective on the matter.

CP is a Charlton legend, I just don't think he's a great manager.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Gillis said:

Shoot me down in flames ladies and gents but I would prefer a manager that's had a little more success than Chris Powell. We had a great L1 promotion season, 9th place in the Championship the year after and then it went pear-shaped. You may talk about the quality of the squad but then he went to Huddersfield where he certainly didn't pull up trees.

I wouldn't have said Rotherham's squad was better than ours but Warnock did a fantastic job, so it's not necessarily about the squad, more what you can get out of it.

Love the man for who he is and what he put into our club but I don't think he's the managerial godsend some people on here do. I would be happy to be proved wrong.

Powell kept Huddersfield up in his first season in charge. This season, Huddersfield were 18th in the table when they sacked him in November. They finished 19th. No one can claim Powell was a runaway success at Huddersfield, but with a small budget he achieved what could reasonably be expected.
    Exactly. His successor at Huddersfield, Pound Shop Klopp, was much hyped but ultimately hasn't exactly set the world on fire with the same squad.
  • Options

I wholeheartedly agree with the last part. At the time, I actually thought it was a mistake to appoint Powell, because he had no managerial experience, and success as a player doesn't necessarily translate into success as a manger. As it happens, I was wrong. However, I don't think Chris Powell is a decent manager because he's a legend, I think he's a decent manager because of the success he had managing our club.

Also, I don't think a manager has to perform miracles, like those that you've mentioned by Warnock, Ranieri or Curbs, in order to be classed a decent manager. Such occurrences are the exception rather than the rule, and managers are rightly lauded when they achieve such successes.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I think there is some actual evidence that backs up Powell's credentials in League One which is the league we will be playing in next season! Anyway, it isn't going to happen, but as Othello said - 'give me the ocular proof'. There are a few people (massive minority) that have a particular dislike of the man - most on a rival site - he probably ran over their cat or something.

Having typed this I actually had a quick look on that site. I think it is a good site by the way with some great contributors. I was on it for a while but a racist WUM that was banned but allowed to return put me off. It also has one or two arse lickers or lapdogs and I thought one of them might have started a thread on this thread knowing the administrator (who does have good football knowledge) is not a fan of Sir Chris. Though if you disagree with him, his default is to offer to fight you! And sure enough one of them did lol! Bexleyboy take a brown tongued bow!
  • Options
    Scoham said:

colthe3rd said:

Oh come on, some revisionist stuff here. We were playing terribly under Powell by the end.

Yet had they come in, given him a decent budget to spend he could have improved the squad and better players would have led to better football.

Instead they thought they knew better and wasted a lot of money on the players that aren't good enough or suited to the Championship.

In November KM claimed they spent £9m on players. We'd be in a far better position now if Powell was kept on and allowed to spend even half of that.
    Yet Riga came in and did much better with the same players.
  • Options
    Powell had to go because he was rebelling against the owner - understandable but not sustainable - Riga had more autonomy agreed when he came in which meant he relied on Powell's players to get us out of it - which clearly didn't go down too well as he lost his job soon after. I was so angry about that, that I left this site for a bit.

If you want to look at things too simply be my guest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So what you're saying is Riga got more out of Powell's players than Powell did?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    No, that is what you are saying. Riga managed to get enough autonomy to manage Powell's players from Duchatelet. The circumstances for the whole of that season were not helping Powell. I was also saying that Riga did a great job and I was upset when he wasn't kept on. I accepted Powell couldn't work for Duchatelet so was less upset at the time because it was an inevitable conclusion. Nothing is that simple - but Powell did a great job and if he was backed, I'm sure we would be in a much better position now, having spent a lot less money. Having said that, If Riga was backed after that same season, I'm confident the same would apply - but Duchatelet doesn't like to get good managers in and give them control. He would rather himself and his you tube watching brigade have that!
  • Options
    SCP has always maintained he would have addressed the shortfall. I remember the club having at least four games in hand, which skewed the perception of his season up to the point that he was removed
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Oakster said:

Since he was sacked the Network guys between them in 108 matches have managed a 30% win rate & 0.86 points per game.

Perhaps this damning statistic has caused Katrien to backtrack from her - every manager has proven to be an improvement mantra.

You'd like to think so mate but I reckon she just stuck her finger in the air as usual to see which way the wind was blowing and it said British :wink:
  • Options
    Scoham said:

colthe3rd said:

Scoham said:

colthe3rd said:

Oh come on, some revisionist stuff here. We were playing terribly under Powell by the end.

Yet had they come in, given him a decent budget to spend he could have improved the squad and better players would have led to better football.

Instead they thought they knew better and wasted a lot of money on the players that aren't good enough or suited to the Championship.

In November KM claimed they spent £9m on players. We'd be in a far better position now if Powell was kept on and allowed to spend even half of that.
    Yet Riga came in and did much better with the same players.
    That doesn't mean Powell wouldn't have had a similar run and kept us up though. Some questioned him during every bad run but he turned it around each time and could have done the same again.
    Well there's no way of ever knowing that.

I'm all for giving the regime abuse for many things but I was with the decision at the time and I still think it was the right decision now. Subsequent decisions and appointments have been an absolute cluster fuck but I fully felt like we were going down that season under CP and I know I wasn't alone.

This also isn't to try and diminish what he has done for our club as both a player and a manager. I've always loved that guy but I think it was best for all involved at the time that he did leave.
  • Options
    I think that is what I said - but the reason was that he needed backing that he wasn't going to get.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2016

Chris Powell could get us back to the Champions League, no doubt. But would he choose to work with these idiots again?

They are the elephant in the room.

steady on, one step at a time

Whoops, Championship
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    People who don't rate Powell as a manager must have a reason other than the facts which speak for themselves. Anyway, they are the vast minority and tire me! If Powell was to come back (which we know he won't) it would be popular with fans! The 2 full seasons he had he got more points in a season than any other Charlton manager, in the second season, he got within 3 points of a play off place. His final season was a boardroom catastrophe where he couldn't strengthen and his squad was weakened but still he made a quarter final and if a complete loon with his own agenda hadn't taken over, or at least backed him and let him manage, who knows how history would have changed. Might have helped if Harriot could put the ball in the net from 10 yards but hey ho!
  • Options
    I'd love Chris Powell to come back, but not whilst these jokers are here (no fear of that anyway).
  • Options
    Also because the pitch was shit to be fair.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Always seems to get forgotten that Powell had the likes of Kermorgant and Stephens sold from underneath him and replaced with shite during that final season.

It also gets conveniently forgotten that he had FOUR games in hand when we were bottom of the league. Why was that? Oh yeah, we were on the best cup run we had in about a decade and one game from Wembley.

We would have made it to Wembley but SCP knew and the players knew he was being replaced by Riga before kick off so we lost.

Even if we were relegated, I have full trust he would have bought us straight back up again the following season.
  • Options
    I went to the Huddersfield game season before last just to see Powell walk out the tunnel at the start of the game, I have real man love for the guy

Or was it that it was £5 to get in.....
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Always seems to get forgotten that Powell had the likes of Kermorgant and Stephens sold from underneath him and replaced with shite during that final season.

It also gets conveniently forgotten that he had FOUR games in hand when we were bottom of the league. Why was that? Oh yeah, we were on the best cup run we had in about a decade and one game from Wembley.

8 games out of his last 11 were away as well...
  • Options
    Well, I guess if I'm alone, and after stating that I too love the man, I must be looking through turd-tinted glasses...