Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The sacking of SCP

Comments

• Options

Gillis said:

Shoot me down in flames ladies and gents but I would prefer a manager that's had a little more success than Chris Powell. We had a great L1 promotion season, 9th place in the Championship the year after and then it went pear-shaped. You may talk about the quality of the squad but then he went to Huddersfield where he certainly didn't pull up trees.

I wouldn't have said Rotherham's squad was better than ours but Warnock did a fantastic job, so it's not necessarily about the squad, more what you can get out of it.

Love the man for who he is and what he put into our club but I don't think he's the managerial godsend some people on here do. I would be happy to be proved wrong.

Powell kept Huddersfield up in his first season in charge. This season, Huddersfield were 18th in the table when they sacked him in November. They finished 19th. No one can claim Powell was a runaway success at Huddersfield, but with a small budget he achieved what could reasonably be expected.
    Exactly. His successor at Huddersfield, Pound Shop Klopp, was much hyped but ultimately hasn't exactly set the world on fire with the same squad.

Gillis said:

Shoot me down in flames ladies and gents but I would prefer a manager that's had a little more success than Chris Powell. We had a great L1 promotion season, 9th place in the Championship the year after and then it went pear-shaped. You may talk about the quality of the squad but then he went to Huddersfield where he certainly didn't pull up trees.

I wouldn't have said Rotherham's squad was better than ours but Warnock did a fantastic job, so it's not necessarily about the squad, more what you can get out of it.

Love the man for who he is and what he put into our club but I don't think he's the managerial godsend some people on here do. I would be happy to be proved wrong.

Powell kept Huddersfield up in his first season in charge. This season, Huddersfield were 18th in the table when they sacked him in November. They finished 19th. No one can claim Powell was a runaway success at Huddersfield, but with a small budget he achieved what could reasonably be expected.
    Exactly. His successor at Huddersfield, Pound Shop Klopp, was much hyped but ultimately hasn't exactly set the world on fire with the same squad.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Gillis said:

Gillis said:

To be fair to Wagner, he has had the chance to add to his squad since I posted that three months ago.

Glad the post made an impression though, most of what I put on here is utterly forgettable
  • Options
    To be fair, Kevin Cash is a total clown too! He invested in a football club but didn't have the knowledge of football to see the opportunity that presented itself to him!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

When he took over, RD inherited a squad that was perhaps 2/3 players short of being good enough to challenge for promotion. An investment of around 5 million would probably have been enough to secure untold millions in the Premier League. Instead he took the opposite route, selling our best player and flooding the club with sub standard players from his network. Far from being an astute businessman, the bloke is a clown.

I think that is a good post if a bit unfair on clowns...

• Options

To be fair, Kevin Cash is a total clown too! He invested in a football club but didn't have the knowledge of football to see the opportunity that presented itself to him!

I heard jiminez was funnelling some of the money cash gave him for the club to tone's other businesses cash had no stake in. Quite rightly he then pulled the plug on the cash machine and here we are
  • Options

I heard jiminez was funnelling some of the money cash gave him for the club to tone's other businesses cash had no stake in. Quite rightly he then pulled the plug on the cash machine and here we are
    I heard something very similar from someone employed by the club at the time
  • Options
    Allegedly
  • Options
    edited August 2016
  • Options

I heard something very similar from someone employed by the club at the time
    Well if that is true I'll take it all back.
  • Options

I won't deny that in my opinion Powell had some drawbacks as a manager, but he was the perfect fit for this club and still learning. It was the most stupid decision imaginable that the owner took to get rid of him, but that was because he had a plan when he bought the club and it wasn't based on any analysis on what Powell brought to the club and how it could be used. He wasn't willing to try to understand the club, he just wanted to run it to his template. He undermined Powell from the off, where a bit of backing could have seen us in an FA cup semi final at Wembley and safety with a springboard to success. Duchatelet was not willing to develop a plan around what he learned about the club. For such a successful businessman that seems strange - but Trump is a successful businessman so maybe we shouldn't expect them not to be fools. IMO, I think the season that Duchatelet bought us, Powell could have taken us up with a modest push and backing. He had to cope with the rug being pulled by Kevin Cash (another fool as he couldn't understand the opportunity) and the club being run by owners without a pot to pee in, but Duchatelet could have been very successful if he understood what he had bought rather than viewing it as an opportunity to test a theory!

Off on a tangent but if Trump had invested his inheritance in an unmanaged S&P New York Stock Exchange fund and spent the last 30 years doing nothing he would be worth twice as much as he is now. Not sure that is particularly successful despite his wealth.
  • Options
    Good point :)
  • Options

When he took over, RD inherited a squad that was perhaps 2/3 players short of being good enough to challenge for promotion. An investment of around 5 million would probably have been enough to secure untold millions in the Premier League. Instead he took the opposite route, selling our best player and flooding the club with sub standard players from his network. Far from being an astute businessman, the bloke is a clown.

A post that makes the most amount of sense whatever way you look at it.

Simple as this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "RD did not influence the team selection"................... 

So selling players against the managers will and restocking the squad with inferior players, clearly not up to Championship football isn't influencing the team selection?

Jesus fucking wept.
    There was also an even more blunt example
    of a published email from him to Powell the day before the wigan game talking about picking thuram and Nego … 
  • Options
    "RD did not influence the team selection"................... 

So selling players against the managers will and restocking the squad with inferior players, clearly not up to Championship football isn't influencing the team selection?

Jesus fucking wept.
    There was also an even more blunt example
    of a published email from him to Powell the day before the wigan game talking about picking thuram and Nego … 
  • Options
    You can day that again!
  • Options
    No thanks and Alex Dyer after he left Charlton confirmed that RD did not influence the team selection 
    Not a serious poster 

Best not to engage 
    You just have.  ;)