Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Windows 10 upgrade

I've been having pop ups for ages suggesting I upgrade to Windows 10, which I do not want to do . Today my PC decided to do it on its own and is now stuck at 12% on the upgrade bit.
Is there anything I can do. I need to do some crucial work reports but can't get on.
Any ideas. It may take your mind off the Charlton ownership shambles for a few minutes.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2016
    There is a thread on this somewhere on CL. Can't remember whether there was any advice given though.
    The same getting stuck thing happened to me I preservered and eventually it came good. It caused me some issues initially with certain background tasks eating up all my RAM but I've now got that sorted and all seems fine. I've even managed to reactivate some if the stuff that I disabled as Microsoft and others fine-tuned their software as the bugs came to light.
  • Options
    Sorry when I said persevered I didn't mean wait for the 12% to move on, I meant cancel it and restart. What does task manager say is going on?
  • Options
    Different question to any computer bod out there please:

We had a security breach on our Laptop and so took it to a shop to have it scanned and checked /remified etc. It was still working 100% fine.

They have now doen their scans etc and want £144 to remedy the issues and put some 12 month security package on it (which accounts for £25 of the total cost).

Seems a lot to me, is this a fair price or are they taking the pee?
  • Options

We had a security breach on our Laptop and so took it to a shop to have it scanned and checked /remified etc. It was still working 100% fine.

They have now doen their scans etc and want £144 to remedy the issues and put some 12 month security package on it (which accounts for £25 of the total cost).

Definite taking the piss. The best security packages are already free and any 'issues' can usually be remedied by Windows itself or by free registry clean up software.

I recommend Avast antivirus, their basic free package is very good and can sometimes identify issues even if they aren't virus related.
  • Options

I've been having pop ups for ages suggesting I upgrade to Windows 10, which I do not want to do . Today my PC decided to do it on its own and is now stuck at 12% on the upgrade bit.
    Is there anything I can do. I need to do some crucial work reports but can't get on.
    Any ideas. It may take your mind off the Charlton ownership shambles for a few minutes.

Enough hard disk space?
  • Options

Yeah taking the piss with regards to the £25 security package. It'll probably be McAffee or Norton (is that still going?) and in my experience they're really clunky and slow down the computer a bit.
    I've had the free version of Avast for about 5 years now and not had any issues.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    That pop up is so intrusive. It kept saying my laptop had been checked and was fully compatible so I decided to finally go ahead with the upgrade. I then found out that my Toshiba was NOT compatible after all as I lost all WiFi connectivity and ended up rolling back to 8.1
  • Options

If you have a bank account with Barclays you can get Kaspersky free .
  • Options
    I have two laptops, I converted my business one and it took me a while to get the settings back to how I wanted them, but not going to convert the other one. Can't see any real benefits!
  • Options

If you have a bank account with Barclays you can get Kaspersky free .
    Kaspersky is excellent, I always used it when I had Windows
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2016

Total piss take. Super-anti spyware and malware bytes (free versions) will get rid of almost all nasties.

Be prepared to wager a large amount of money that all they have found is a PUP (potentially unwanted program) - probably just some annoying tracking cookies.

Get them to show you the scan results and explain exactly what they are proposing to fix. Then tell them to shove it.
  • Options
    Get a Mac
  • Options

Total piss take. Super-anti spyware and malware bytes (free versions) will get rid of almost all nasties.

Be prepared to wager a large amount of money that all they have found is a PUP (potentially unwanted program) - probably just some annoying tracking cookies.

Get them to show you the scan results and explain exactly what they are proposing to fix. Then tell them to shove it.
    thanks for the advice everyone. We took it elsewhere who cleaned it all up for £54 so £90 less than the original guys and they confirmed that there were a few things on there but nothing overly nasty.
  • Options
    I did the same, waited until it was forced upon me and had the same outcome. Eventually took it to a pro who reset Windows losing all my personal data in the meantime. Since then the laptop often freezes and after the last instance won't start up at all. I'm going to send it back to Toshiba under warranty and get them to sort it out.
  • Options
    TEL said:

I did the same, waited until it was forced upon me and had the same outcome. Eventually took it to a pro who reset Windows losing all my personal data in the meantime. Since then the laptop often freezes and after the last instance won't start up at all. I'm going to send it back to Toshiba under warranty and get them to sort it out.

If you can,avoid Toshiba, they are pulling out of the laptop market.
  • Options

I had this. Exact the same situation at exactly the same time. Been ignoring the pop ups for months then I goes and does it without asking me. Got stuck on 25% I left it overnight and it was done by the morning..

Don't mind windows 10 after all that..
  • Options
    WSS said:

Get a Mac

That's what I have just done after years of procrastinating.

Got a Mac Book pro and am gutted I didn't do it sooner.

Windows 10 is miles better than 8 - but the constant updates were doing my head in.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Had issues with the laptop freezing after I upgraded to Windows 10 a while back. Also occasionally wouldn't boot at all.

A bit of Google searching led me to the anti-virus I was running. Windows 10 apparently didn't like Avast - no idea if that is sorted now - removed it and it resolved all issues I'd been having with the laptop.

Now just use Windows defender and run regular Malware Bytes and Super-Anti Spyware scans.
  • Options
    Last opportunity today. My laptop is running Windows 7. Microsoft will stop support of Windows 7 in 2020. Really interested in any more recent experiences of taking the free upgrade. I am not really concerned if Windows 10 is better than Windows 7; I am primarily concerned about the upgrade failing and having to spend hours googling on my iPad trying to find a solution.
  • Options
    Can only advise on going from 8 and 8.1 to 10. I did the 8 to 10 upgrade on my laptop quite early on and had issues. Failed the first time and took ages the second time round.

Once done had to fiddle with a number of registry settings to sort out performance issues and also had to do away with Avast as it was causing the laptop to freeze. Had 2-3 weeks of grief but once it was sorted was happy with 10.

The move from 8.1 to 10 was on my daughters laptop and done a couple of months ago. Was seemless and they have obviously sorted the issues I had previously.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm still on Widows Vista & it's working fine lol.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I finished a contract last year with a major government department who were and still are using XP.

• Options

Good god! Vista is the operating system equivalent of satan! I heard Microsoft deny it ever existed!

• Options

Good god! Vista is the operating system equivalent of satan! I heard Microsoft deny it ever existed!

I assure you it's working fine. Google Chrome stopped supporting it recently & my computer started to go as slow as Charlton's inward transfers. Bit I googled it & it recommended Firefox, so I'm using that at the moment with no problems.
  • Options
    Did upgrade from 7 to 10 but after a few hours my pc crashed. Went back to 7 without any problems.
  • Options
    I updated my son's pc as a trial run. It worked ok and I quite liked playing with windows 10 so decided to do mine, unfortunately it got stuck on 32% complete for over 24 hours. I did some googling and apparently this can happen if you have peripherals attached or are connected to the internet, as it will try to download all the updates as part of the upgrade. The recommendation was to create an ISO disc image of the install, which I did from my son's PC. When I used this on mine, electing not to download updates, the install completed in about 30 minutes and has been working fine since.
  • Options
    Did it on a friends 8.1 laptop last week and had no problems at all. Despite that I think my Win7 laptop will not be upgraded and neither will my Win7 PC.
  • Options

I finished a contract last year with a major government department who were and still are using XP.

Is it not the case that some crucial bespoke software is designed to operate on XP and won't function on anything else? It's scary how many XP screensavers you still see out there. The security must be shot to pieces.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    You have a month after you have installed it to change your mind and roll it back to your previous version. Go to the updates section of settings on the start button and there is a button that gives you that option.

Just remember to back up everything including your emails if you use a client.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

If you bank with Barclays you can get Kaspersky anti virus free Just seen somebody else posted this :-(