Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Windows 10 upgrade

2»

Comments

• Options
    If you have broadband with BT you can download McAfee for free as part of your package.

I also have an old PC using Vista which works fine but Sky Go won't work on it is the only downside.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I finished a contract last year with a major government department who were and still are using XP.

Is it not the case that some crucial bespoke software is designed to operate on XP and won't function on anything else? It's scary how many XP screensavers you still see out there. The security must be shot to pieces.
    Not in this case.
  • Options

If you have broadband with BT you can download McAfee for free as part of your package.

I also have an old PC using Vista which works fine but Sky Go won't work on it is the only downside.

That only downside might not be: depending upon which browser you are using.

home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/windows-xp-vista-upgrade-browser-stay-safe-internet-explorer-firefox-opera-lunascape-google-chrome-11364034422157
  • Options
    If anyone knows how to get GTA V to work on windows 10 please PM me!
  • Options
    edited July 2016

I finished a contract last year with a major government department who were and still are using XP.

I can confirm that , I work for the Civil Service and its so frustrating, they encourage you to do online training but the operating system is out of date its impossible to do anything .

• Options

I've been having pop ups for ages suggesting I upgrade to Windows 10, which I do not want to do . Today my PC decided to do it on its own and is now stuck at 12% on the upgrade bit.
    Is there anything I can do. I need to do some crucial work reports but can't get on.
    Any ideas. It may take your mind off the Charlton ownership shambles for a few minutes.

has it past 12% yet?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/windows-xp-vista-upgrade-browser-stay-safe-internet-explorer-firefox-opera-lunascape-google-chrome-11364034422157
    Quite, which is why I switched to Firefox as it is supported and safe to use.

I can guess, but I'm not entirely certain what it means by "not safe to use".

Why is it not safe, what are the dangers ?
  • Options
    Upgraded from 7 to 10 involuntarily on my old Samsung R530, and although I dont much like the tile arrangement of windows 10, I have to say the laptop is running better and boots faster on 10 than ever it did on 7, so I am surprised and quite happy.
  • Options
    If you haven't upgrading to windows 10 for free now, why not ffs?!!
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Quite, which is why I switched to Firefox as it is supported and safe to use.

I can guess, but I'm not entirely certain what it means by "not safe to use".

Why is it not safe, what are the dangers ?
    I'm only guessing too. But presumably because any security patches won't be available to unsupported versions?

My ancient desktop now runs on Linux Mint OS (it was XP). But Google Chrome stopped supporting the 32-bit versions. So, no more security upgrades :-(
    Depending what mood I'm in I now use either Firefox or Chromium. (For those that don't know, Chromium is the open-source browser from which Google gets its source code for Chrome.) Chromium still supports 32-bit machines. I'm yet to notice a difference but I'm sure there must be some!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have just upgraded from Windows 8 to 10, as I just realised this was the last day to get it for free. Tried doing it a few months ago and it went all wrong and moved back to Windows 8, but so far seems OK. Took about 3 1/2 hours altogether
  • Options
    Problems, it seems with the latest anniversary edition of Windows 10. It is freezing some machines using SSDs.
    Windows hasn't said it knows how to fix the problem yet.

More here: theregister.co.uk/2016/08/16/windows_10_anniversary_update_ssd_freeze/

I'm sticking with version 1511 for the present. You can check which version you are running via Start/Settings/System/About.

The snag is if you are running the Home version of 10 updates happen automatically.

I've tried this work round to temporarily prevent updates. (Security updates should still happen).

Hit the Windows key and R at the same time. The "Run" console will pop up. type services.msc and press enter. Scroll down the list looking for windows update. Double click. From the General Tab in the box under the Startup Type options change from enabled to disabled. Then perform a restart.

When Microsoft fixes the problem, I'll use the same process to enable automatic updates again. I'll report back on whether it works.