Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sir Chris

edited May 2016 in General Charlton
Derby appoint Nigel Pearson as manager

Chairman Mel Morris said: "We are delighted to welcome Nigel to the club. He is a proven winner, a highly experienced manager who has track record of success in the Championship and has also coached successfully in the Premier League.

“It is also great to have Chris Powell back at the football club as our assistant manager. Chris is a top quality coach and gave us excellent service as a player. He will join Kevin Phillips and Pascal Zuberbuhler in the first-team coaching

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/35944928

Comments

• Options
    Good luck to him.
  • Options
    I think it's a good step for him to go back into coaching, a potentially good opportunity to further learn his trade. That said, Nigel Pearson would not be my choice of people I'd like to see him work under.
  • Options
    I thought he may hold out to be a number 1.
  • Options

I thought he may hold out to be a number 1.

According to a few on here he's a number 2.
  • Options
    The old Leicester team at Derby, good move by them imo
  • Options
    Maybe he is just keeping himself busy as an assistant whilst waiting for Roland to sell up....?

*ducks whilst anti-Powell brigade pelt me with rotten tomatoes*
  • Options
    Good luck Chris, and Andy Hughes at Huddersfield. Both proper Charlton, shame we didn't appoint them to work together.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good to see Powell back in football. Good move going in as an assistant as well.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I think it's a good step for him to go back into coaching, a potentially good opportunity to further learn his trade. That said, Nigel Pearson would not be my choice of people I'd like to see him work under.

Powell has worked with Nigel Pearson before at Leicester - he knows what he's doing.

• Options
    Lump on Derby.

Bit of a dream team those two.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

SDAddick said:

Powell has worked with Nigel Pearson before at Leicester - he knows what he's doing.

But I'm not convinced Pearson is all that great of a manager. I wish Powell had been able to spend more time under Sven, who has a far broader experience of the game. I don't see Pearson as a brilliant tactician or coach so much so that Powell would be experienced to new ways of coaching and training.
  • Options
    Good luck SCP, got to keep yourself busy while you wait for that fourth return here. :-)
  • Options
    I think Derby have a made a really clever appointment. Chris has good experience in the championship. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost a couple of players to them.
  • Options
    Move on. We've got Admiral of the Fleet Rusell Slade now.
  • Options
    My championship team will be Derby next season then
  • Options
    Temporary job while he's waiting for the idiots to leave and we can then all get back to normal,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good move for him. He wasn't the finished article with us, go get experience, develop your skills and come back to be our saviour once Roland finally goes
  • Options
    dizzee said:

My championship team will be Derby next season then

Not Brighton? After what their fans did for us I will support them every game.
  • Options
    Really pleased SCP is now in an environment where he will be happy,relaxed and have his confidence boosted by Nigel pearson and the fans. An amazing reaction from the Derby fans sticks in my mind when he first played for Charlton against them.Good luck Chris,all the best to you.
  • Options
    Serious question, I'm not undermining Powell, he played lots of games, England caps, manager etc and I love him! I had a Powell 3 sticker in my first car but curbs took us to the premier league and kept us there, why not sac?
  • Options
    Hope it works out for him.

Only concern is once your a manager.....are you then happy enough to be the assistant to someone else?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Dave2l said:

Only concern is once your a manager.....are you then happy enough to be the assistant to someone else?

I suppose it's always better than being unemployed? He's definitely good enough to be an assistant manager at a Championship club pushing for promotion so why not take this opportunity?

Just saw this Welcome back – Derby County fans delighted to see Chris Powell return and looks like he's very well respected among the Derby fans (not really surprising though cos we all know what a great person he is!) Hopefully they'll finally get to the Premier League next season. Best of luck SCP!
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

I think this stunts the growth of many managers. It's why I think it's important to start as a coach and spend a few years there before making the move into management.
  • Options
    Good luck SCP. I am sure he will be successful there.
    Funnily enough his appointment at Derby has rounded off my plans for next season. After 45 years of following the Addicks home and away my football menu next year will be Salisbury City, my local team, where I have just bought a season ticket, some Brighton games to support them after they supported us so admirably last season, Derby games in London and the one Charlton game near me at Swindon.
    What a shame.
    I will miss the evening games at the Valley. I used to love the train journeys to London going to the game but at least I will be able to replicate that for the Derby games in London.
    I will be back though when those lying bastards, Duchebag, Liar Liar and Toxic Murray leave my club.