Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lower Back Pain

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:

Sadly cabs there is no quick fix. I suffer with it thankfully only once or twice a year but when it does flare up the only fix for me is anti inflammatory tablets and 24 hours rest.

You need to monitor it if the pain is going down your legs so keep an eye on it.

Cheers mike. I only just had it last few days. The pain runs all the way down, a real throbbing pain along the side of the shin/calf area. Does it mean something if it runs down the leg??
    Lower back pain can be caused by a number of things however if the pain travels down into the leg it is normally the sciatic nerve that is damaged or trapped.

A damaged nerve would need surgery however a trapped nerve is caused by swelling so Ibruprofen normally does the trick.

When it first happened to me my wife had to call an ambulance as I could not get out of our car. The doctor at the hospital explained the above and said there is not much that can be done apart from rest and anti inflammatory tabs.

I am suffering myself tonight as I have been helping my son today screed his garage floor. However the pain is isolated in my lower back so I put that down to over doing it. If the pain was going down my legs it would be sciatic.
  • Options

cabbles said:

Sadly cabs there is no quick fix. I suffer with it thankfully only once or twice a year but when it does flare up the only fix for me is anti inflammatory tablets and 24 hours rest.

You need to monitor it if the pain is going down your legs so keep an eye on it.

Cheers mike. I only just had it last few days. The pain runs all the way down, a real throbbing pain along the side of the shin/calf area. Does it mean something if it runs down the leg??
    Lower back pain can be caused by a number of things however if the pain travels down into the leg it is normally the sciatic nerve that is damaged or trapped.

A damaged nerve would need surgery however a trapped nerve is caused by swelling so Ibruprofen normally does the trick.

When it first happened to me my wife had to call an ambulance as I could not get out of our car. The doctor at the hospital explained the above and said there is not much that can be done apart from rest and anti inflammatory tabs.

I am suffering myself tonight as I have been helping my son today screed his garage floor. However the pain is isolated in my lower back so I put that down to over doing it. If the pain was going down my legs it would be sciatic.
    Yeah it's going down the lower leg. The NHS says it can come and go so hopefully it will go soon. I'll get some anti-inflammatories. Cheers
  • Options
    Find a good Physio. They'll administer treatment to the muscles and crack you back into alignment.
    I stretch and warm up before work every day, and I'm constantly stretching my quads, hamstrings and calfs.
    Yoga is also really really good for stretching and strengthening all muscle groups, especially core.
  • Options
    Best yoga I've ever done is the hot bikram yoga.

Its fairly intense and, as the name suggests, hot, but after a couple of sessions, my flex was much better than before and had no muscle knots left at all.
  • Options
    I've just got back to normal after a 4 month sciatica bout. If you see a GP they will generally only treat it with anti-inflammatory drugs. My problem was persistent and quite debilitating so I was also prescribed Gabapentin which deals directly with nerve pain.

The best thing you can do is see a physio. Sciatica is only a symptom, a physio will address the root cause of pain. I had a lot of muscular issues, everything out of balance and in the wrong tension. Sitting at a desk all day was killing my hip flexors which in turn caused back and nerve problems. Physio straightened it all out with stretching and giving me exercises to improve core strength and release the various bad muscular tensions that build up.
  • Options
    @cabless I have suffered from Sciatica for the last 2 years on and off. Physio, painkillers, rest and muscle rubs have all helped me in various ways. If you have private healthcare at all get in touch with them and ask to see a physiotherapist, some of the stretches and exercises they can teach you get rid of a lot of the worst pain. The hardest part is finding a comfortable position to be in, I found laying down hurt my calf, sitting hurt my arse and lower back and standing hurt my thigh and hamstring. Best of luck with it, it's a horrible thing to deal with as it creeps up on you with no warning
  • Options
    Thanks all. Never had it before. Kept waking me up all night last night. Not fun.
  • Options
    @babbles Listen to OzAddick, spot on. sciatica is a symptom rather than a condition in itself, and sports physios in particular seem to have a lot of success compared to others.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    cabbles said:

Have a feeling I've got a touch of sciatica based on my symptoms and what I've read on line. Got a sharp pain at the top of the left buttock, but the killer is a throbbing pain, very intense around my left shin/calf.

Haven't really got time to see a doctor at the moment, how long does this shit usually last. It's been really ferocious last couple of days, especially at work when sitting down

Your diagnosis is probably right @cabbles. As others have said, keep and eye out if its spreading. One other thought. I've just had similar symptoms and been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in my hip. Apparently the pain can dissipate down the bones as I've been getting leg pains. The back pain is as a result of subconsciously trying to reduce the load on the hip and twisting myself. Too young/not serious enough for surgery and I can't take antiinflamatories to any great extent due to my ticker. So it's industrial doses of paracetamol and some tramadol at night (makes me gaga during the day!) and some physio.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

@babbles Listen to OzAddick, spot on. sciatica is a symptom rather than a condition in itself, and sports physios in particular seem to have a lot of success compared to others.

Ta
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Few years back I was in agony with my back. Couldn't get home from work it hurt to walk more than a few steps. I laughed at the Doctor when he told me I need to stretch since I couldn't move but it really did work and has worked since. Not had any other problems since stretching/yoga and if I do feel a slight pain coming on then going back to do those exercises clears it up almost instantly. Obviously depends on what you have done to it but if it's a long term thing then you should look into it.

Although when I did go to the Dr I did get a lovely load of Codeine which is fucking fantastic when you are in pain.
  • Options
    Another vote for codeine from me. Broke some ribs about a month ago and was very painful but they helped a lot.
    Not quite as much fun as the entonox I got from the ambulance crew at the time though. (I made the mistake of going for a lie down after I'd done it, and literally couldn't move after that).
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Ta
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Have a feeling I've got a touch of sciatica based on my symptoms and what I've read on line. Got a sharp pain at the top of the left buttock, but the killer is a throbbing pain, very intense around my left shin/calf.

Haven't really got time to see a doctor at the moment, how long does this shit usually last. It's been really ferocious last couple of days, especially at work when sitting down

Had the shooting pain in legs for a few months after I hurt my back playing football, got a bit of 'debris' back there where it happened but my GP didn't seem overly concerned.

It did go away on it's own though and hasn't come back (touch-wood). Get strains in it pretty easily now, which go away after a week or so. Overall not got an awful lot to complain about a year or two later.

At the time, diazepam is your friend.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Few years back I was in agony with my back. Couldn't get home from work it hurt to walk more than a few steps. I laughed at the Doctor when he told me I need to stretch since I couldn't move but it really did work and has worked since. Not had any other problems since stretching/yoga and if I do feel a slight pain coming on then going back to do those exercises clears it up almost instantly. Obviously depends on what you have done to it but if it's a long term thing then you should look into it.

Although when I did go to the Dr I did get a lovely load of Codeine which is fucking fantastic when you are in pain.

Had the same issue towards the end of last year. About 4 months of bad lower back pain particularly whilst trying to run. Turns out 2 weeks of hamstring stretches cleared it all up!
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Another vote for codeine from me. Broke some ribs about a month ago and was very painful but they helped a lot.
    Not quite as much fun as the entonox I got from the ambulance crew at the time though. (I made the mistake of going for a lie down after I'd done it, and literally couldn't move after that).

Proper pain killers are scary things, I can completely see how people do get hooked on them. When you're in proper pain though and you pop that pill, nothing quite beats that warm blanket feeling you get as it kicks in.
  • Options
    I've currently got a loss of sensation on the top of my right thigh and lower back / right hip pain. Had it for 3 weeks. Co Codamol and Diazapam helps. GP said feeling will come back and heat / cold treatment helps.
  • Options
    Gammysnr said:

I've currently got a loss of sensation on the top of my right thigh and lower back / right hip pain. Had it for 3 weeks. Co Codamol and Diazapam helps. GP said feeling will come back and heat / cold treatment helps.

This is the sort of thing that infuriates me about GPs and the NHS. They're happy to chuck pills at you (diazepam is not to be messed with) and treat the symptom rather than address the cause.
  • Options
    I had sciatica (self diagnosed) and it lasted well over a year. I got it when feeling like I had the flu & couldn't be bothered to stand up to reach my cup of tea & over stretched. Pathetic I know. It troubles me a little if I stand too long.
  • Options
    I've been suffering with lower back pain for well over a month now due to a new internet shopping system being introduced at work. The loads we are expected to push are way too heavy for my poor old back but they say it's within the weight limit. I've been seeing a Chiropractor for the last 3 weeks & it has made a difference. I've been off work for four days & now have a disciplinary hearing because of the number of absences I've accumalated since Janurary. Anyway I hope your back eases up Charltonparklane, lots of good advice on here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sam lloyd said:

I've been suffering with lower back pain for well over a month now due to a new internet shopping system being introduced at work. The loads we are expected to push are way too heavy for my poor old back but they say it's within the weight limit. I've been seeing a Chiropractor for the last 3 weeks & it has made a difference. I've been off work for four days & now have a disciplinary hearing because of the number of absences I've accumalated since Janurary. Anyway I hope your back eases up Charltonparklane, lots of good advice on here.

Take a union rep along, if you have one.
  • Options
    I am a huge fan of physiotherapy, not least because I had the huge good fortune to be treated by Professor Karel Lewit. The last time, he must have been 96 years old, and was still able to lift me and unblock my spine. And for this session I paid about £20, because his main goal was to pass on his wisdom to the younger physios who were always there with him. Not that this practically helps you, but an important thing I learnt from him is that physiotherapy needs time, and it definitely helps if the patient is ready to repeat the exercises at home.

He greatly approved of yoga and pilates, generally because they provide a holistic antidote for the body that suffers from the typical stresses of modern living (in my case too much time sitting at the computer yakking on CL). He also had great respect for Chinese medicine. One thing he didn't respect though was chiropractic. "One step up from witchcraft" he told me. As I understood him, chiropractic techniques have not passed the peer-reviewed scrutiny of more orthodox physiotherapeutic techniques. In particular, the concept that 'everything' flows from the spine is completely over-egged and unproven.. If it works for you, OK, but I would always recommend going to a mainstream NHS approved physio first.
  • Options
    Ain't lower back pain another term for the sore bum? Aloa veara wet wipes is what you need
  • Options
    Aside from being a serious medical complaint, I believe Lower back pain is also a euphemism for the day after feeling from having 'enjoyed' the Kim Jong Un lower back massager a bit to heartily the night before.
  • Options

Ain't lower back pain another term for the sore bum? Aloa veara wet wipes is what you need

When i build my Guy Fawkes effigy of you, I will make sure it has a man-bag with a packet of those wipes in them

:-)

• Options
    You mean you haven't finished it yet?
  • Options

When i build my Guy Fawkes effigy of you, I will make sure it has a man-bag with a packet of those wipes in them

charming
  • Options

• Options
    Is that a guido Fawkes man bag?
  • Options

I am a huge fan of physiotherapy, not least because I had the huge good fortune to be treated by Professor Karel Lewit. The last time, he must have been 96 years old, and was still able to lift me and unblock my spine. And for this session I paid about £20, because his main goal was to pass on his wisdom to the younger physios who were always there with him. Not that this practically helps you, but an important thing I learnt from him is that physiotherapy needs time, and it definitely helps if the patient is ready to repeat the exercises at home.

He greatly approved of yoga and pilates, generally because they provide a holistic antidote for the body that suffers from the typical stresses of modern living (in my case too much time sitting at the computer yakking on CL). He also had great respect for Chinese medicine. One thing he didn't respect though was chiropractic. "One step up from witchcraft" he told me. As I understood him, chiropractic techniques have not passed the peer-reviewed scrutiny of more orthodox physiotherapeutic techniques. In particular, the concept that 'everything' flows from the spine is completely over-egged and unproven.. If it works for you, OK, but I would always recommend going to a mainstream NHS approved physio first.

Thanks Prague, you got this 96 year old fella's number