Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lower Back Pain

13»

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:

I am a huge fan of physiotherapy, not least because I had the huge good fortune to be treated by Professor Karel Lewit. The last time, he must have been 96 years old, and was still able to lift me and unblock my spine. And for this session I paid about £20, because his main goal was to pass on his wisdom to the younger physios who were always there with him. Not that this practically helps you, but an important thing I learnt from him is that physiotherapy needs time, and it definitely helps if the patient is ready to repeat the exercises at home.

He greatly approved of yoga and pilates, generally because they provide a holistic antidote for the body that suffers from the typical stresses of modern living (in my case too much time sitting at the computer yakking on CL). He also had great respect for Chinese medicine. One thing he didn't respect though was chiropractic. "One step up from witchcraft" he told me. As I understood him, chiropractic techniques have not passed the peer-reviewed scrutiny of more orthodox physiotherapeutic techniques. In particular, the concept that 'everything' flows from the spine is completely over-egged and unproven.. If it works for you, OK, but I would always recommend going to a mainstream NHS approved physio first.

Thanks Prague, you got this 96 year old fella's number
    :-)

Sadly he passed away at 98. But if you get a physio who prescribes an exercise so ridiculously simple that you think it could not possibly do any good, ask him or her if it is a Lewit exercise. And then do it.

• Options
    cabbles said:

Have a feeling I've got a touch of sciatica based on my symptoms and what I've read on line. Got a sharp pain at the top of the left buttock, but the killer is a throbbing pain, very intense around my left shin/calf.

Haven't really got time to see a doctor at the moment, how long does this shit usually last. It's been really ferocious last couple of days, especially at work when sitting down

I'm posting without reading most of the replies, but I have the same thing, and have done since I was young. Unfortunately there isn't much that you can do about it. Regular exercise can help, but it can also cause it to flair up at times. When you're having stretches of really bad pain, a heating pad and NSAIDs (painkillers) are the best/only treatment from what I've found.
  • Options

Ain't lower back pain another term for the sore bum? Aloa veara wet wipes is what you need

When i build my Guy Fawkes effigy of you, I will make sure it has a man-bag with a packet of those wipes in them

charming
    Umm, was just inspired by your post on the "what did you buy off CL" thread

"Not bought, but I've created effagies of what I think certain Lifers look like, ready to be burnt on the bonny when it gets lit in a couple a weeks"

Definitely didn't mean to offend.
  • Options

Ain't lower back pain another term for the sore bum? Aloa veara wet wipes is what you need

When i build my Guy Fawkes effigy of you, I will make sure it has a man-bag with a packet of those wipes in them

charming

"Not bought, but I've created effagies of what I think certain Lifers look like, ready to be burnt on the bonny when it gets lit in a couple a weeks"

I didn't mean you Prago pal
  • Options
    edited October 2016

charming

I didn't mean you Prago pal
    Then I apologise to you, but I meant it in a caring way, anyway :-)

Which comedian used that line? Dame Edna?

• Options
    Fortunately my sister works for a private physio and I had to call on her to sort it out today. Had to be the most unbearable pain I've ever dealt with. It was as all of you had said.

The physio basically said whenever I sit down I'm aggravating it, so in essence I had no chance. Got a proper massage and some exercises to do.

It got to a point after lunch today when I thought I'd have to go to a&e, just to get something for the pain. Ridiculous
  • Options
    Hope that works, that persistent muscular induced pain is awful to deal with, I haven't had it too bad with my repaired knee but I've had odd things during the rehab like if you let your calf muscles get too knotty your shoulder is massively painful.

Without the sports physio I would have been screwed.

Have a set of excercises now that can both build the muscle and then stretch out the problems and know how to use them, really good work from the physio. Done himself out of job almost.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Fortunately my sister works for a private physio and I had to call on her to sort it out today. Had to be the most unbearable pain I've ever dealt with. It was as all of you had said.

The physio basically said whenever I sit down I'm aggravating it, so in essence I had no chance. Got a proper massage and some exercises to do.

It got to a point after lunch today when I thought I'd have to go to a&e, just to get something for the pain. Ridiculous

Hope it's better now @dabbles
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

cabbles said:

Hope it's better now @dabbles
    Apparently it's psychosomatic - told her of all the misappropriations and she said that won't help and it's likely to flare up. She agreed that the mods haven't helped and told me to stay off CL until my fellow posters start showing me the respect I deserve
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Few years back I was in agony with my back. Couldn't get home from work it hurt to walk more than a few steps. I laughed at the Doctor when he told me I need to stretch since I couldn't move but it really did work and has worked since. Not had any other problems since stretching/yoga and if I do feel a slight pain coming on then going back to do those exercises clears it up almost instantly. Obviously depends on what you have done to it but if it's a long term thing then you should look into it.

Although when I did go to the Dr I did get a lovely load of Codeine which is fucking fantastic when you are in pain.

I see your codeine and I raise you a combination of diclofenac, pethidine and vallium. Spent a few days in a Saudi hospital in 2008 and that was on tap. It was like the best of hotels (although the pretty Asian aux nurses probably helped a bit too).

Doc gives me diazapam now as I get back spasms once or twice a year. That's quite lovely too.