Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I Just Couldn't Care Less About...

Comments

• Options
    SDAddick said:

I've loved watching Croatia, Iceland, and Italy in this tournament. Differing forms of underdogs, but each has their merits. I'm also one who hasn't hated a game in this tournament.

To be honest, I couldn't care less about the US Men's National Team. I grew up with English friends, loving English football, and then livd in England. The US team seems to have this undo arrogance and pomp and circumstance around it, including their supporters, "The American Outlaws." None of it appeals to me, and like a decent amount of US soccer, the whole think feels a bit manufactured.

I like MLS, but the supporters of many of the clubs really do buy into the whole manufactured, franchise feel of everything.

Clubs like New York City and Orlando have their own 'ultra' groups even though those clubs only formed in 2014......
  • Options
    cafctom said:

SDAddick said:

I've loved watching Croatia, Iceland, and Italy in this tournament. Differing forms of underdogs, but each has their merits. I'm also one who hasn't hated a game in this tournament.

To be honest, I couldn't care less about the US Men's National Team. I grew up with English friends, loving English football, and then livd in England. The US team seems to have this undo arrogance and pomp and circumstance around it, including their supporters, "The American Outlaws." None of it appeals to me, and like a decent amount of US soccer, the whole think feels a bit manufactured.

I like MLS, but the supporters of many of the clubs really do buy into the whole manufactured, franchise feel of everything.

Clubs like New York City and Orlando have their own 'ultra' groups even though those clubs only formed in 2014......
    Yeah it's...weird. I was at a 6th or something tier game last night here in Eugene, and there was a little stand of a handful of fans who had drums that they played throughout the match, and occasionally sang some random songs. Also a club founded in 2014.

I have many long thoughts on the States and its lack of a football culture, and you can see it at grassroots level, but it's a conversation for another time. In the last few years there does seem to be an attempt to build more of a culture and a following, but it still feels forced. And there are very, very few great thinkers in the game here. Debates tend to devolve into "I'm right and you're wrong because you're shit" instead of debates on tactics, form, ability, etc.
  • Options
    Can I open this thread up and talk about other things I couldn't care less about

F1
    Rugby
    MMA
    Golf
    Scottish football

• Options
    edited June 2016
    cabbles said:

Can I open this thread up and talk about other things I couldn't care less about

F1
    Rugby
    MMA
    Golf
    Scottish football

With you on MMA, like all the others you mention though.

Athletics is my main thing that I couldn't care less about.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

F1
    Rugby
    MMA
    Golf
    Scottish football

Don't mind MMA but completely agree on the rest
  • Options

cabbles said:

F1
    Rugby
    MMA
    Golf
    Scottish football

With you in MMA. Athletics is my main thing that I couldn't care less about.
    Yeah I can see that one being for some people as well.

Also coronation street, eastenders, the queens birthday (I don't mind the royal family, just couldn't care less about a drawn out birthday celebration, m&s hampers on the mall etc)
  • Options

Been here in Croatia for the last month.
    Croatian flags everywhere.
    Football mad nation.
    Smashing people feel sorry for them with the crowd trouble and final result.
    I watched the England win in Zagreb with a Dynamo Zagreb supporter.
    Great atmosphere.

AND, Crotia is a beautiful country with a superb & varied coastline ... the caves at Postojna are stunning .. such a shame that Yugoslavia broke apart with such hatred and inter ethnic violence .. a situation of course going right back to the end of the Ottoman empire
  • Options
    cabbles said:

F1
    Rugby
    MMA
    Golf
    Scottish football

These, Olympics and any sport involving women.
  • Options

Football mad nation.
    Great atmosphere.

AND, Crotia is a beautiful country with a superb & varied coastline ... the caves at Postojna are stunning .. such a shame that Yugoslavia broke apart with such hatred and inter ethnic violence .. a situation of course going right back to the end of the Ottoman empire
    A fair chunk of the bitterness goes at least as far back as the Seventeenth Century (so I should really feel right at home out there); though WW2 didn't help.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

cabbles said:

F1
    Rugby
    MMA
    Golf
    Scottish football

These, Olympics and any sport involving women.
    Even beach volleyball?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Top thread. There are a plethora of clubs whose existence I find just completely pointless so I avoid them at all costs. They are:

Stoke, Middlesborough, Fulham, West Brom.

All unworthy of my viewing time and I would pit them against a screening of the 'test card' for entertainment value.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that I would rather endure the torture of a bout of NFL, NBA or F1 in preference to suffering these 4 clubs.

But then again........ On second thoughts!!!
  • Options
    Crystal Palace
  • Options
    Seriously, does anyone give a flying fancy for Aston Villa?
    They are an utterly grey background of nothingness on a grey, velour 1970's sofa.
  • Options

Top thread. There are a plethora of clubs whose existence I find just completely pointless so I avoid them at all costs. They are:

Stoke, Middlesborough, Fulham, West Brom.

All unworthy of my viewing time and I would pit them against a screening of the 'test card' for entertainment value.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that I would rather endure the torture of a bout of NFL, NBA or F1 in preference to suffering these 4 clubs.

But then again........ On second thoughts!!!

I watched a few Stoke games last season and was surprised how good they were. They played some very attractive football. I think they've become a different team under Mark Hughes. He's done a very decent job there. WBA on the other hand was one of the worst teams I saw on TV last season. Guess that's just Tony Pulis. No neutral fans would want to watch that kind of boring stuff.
  • Options
    Barcelona - a million passes around the half-way line just does my head in. Someone have a shot ffs.
  • Options
    Not football, but...

Connor McGregor.
    I'll not lose any sleep if I never see his face again.

Could.
    Not.
    Give.
    A.
    Toss.
  • Options

Football mad nation.
    Great atmosphere.

Yes Lincs. Croatia is a beautiful country.
    Dubrovnik, Split, national park and the many small islands.
    Its sobering to look over the old city of Dubrovnik from high up on the city walls and see the many new roofs replacing those damaged during the war of independence.
    Dubrovnik was under siege for nearly a year.
    Very interesting history.
  • Options
    Stoke & Watford.
  • Options

Football mad nation.
    Great atmosphere.

Travelled a fair bit in Yugoslavia in 1988...it was beginning to boil over then. It would appear (and I'm no expert) that Yugoslavia was formed of a number of states/areas/regions that never really wanted to be together. Once Tito died it slowly fell apart. Agree re Croatian coast line...spectacular.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sweden - always dull except for the 1 flair player.
  • Options
    Godstone said:

Sweden - always dull except for the 1 flair player.

Nice birds though.
  • Options
    Horse racing
    Show jumping ,
    Darts
    Women's tennis
    .........(dons tin hat ). .... Paralympics
  • Options
    When Sky first started their Prem coverage, they seemed to build up every game for hours. I was stuck in a pub once watching the build up to Everton v West Brom. Two hours for that pair!!!! When the game started, I gave up and left. It may have ended 4-4 but I just don't care. The Spanish have the right of that. If it's not Spain playing, the TV coverage starts when the ref starts the match.
  • Options

When Sky first started their Prem coverage, they seemed to build up every game for hours. I was stuck in a pub once watching the build up to Everton v West Brom. Two hours for that pair!!!! When the game started, I gave up and left. It may have ended 4-4 but I just don't care. The Spanish have the right of that. If it's not Spain playing, the TV coverage starts when the ref starts the match.

Yes good one. it's the same post match for me. I've seen the game, and the result. No meed for 1 hr debrief with Henry exposing his insufficient knowledge
  • Options
    It is interesting that there have now been several posts about the history of Croatia/Yugoslavia, because I think in a perverse way, that history is a reason that I feel nothing for either Croatia. I have never been to Croatia as such, though as a child I had a very nice holiday in Porec and as a young adult Zagreb was on my Eurorail itinery. Consequently, I still associate them with Yugoslavia rather than Croatia.
  • Options
    Just watched Tim Peake come back to earth and still couldn't give a flying toss.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Just watched Tim Peake come back to earth and still couldn't give a flying toss.

However his brother, Andy, has over 170 reasons to care about him.
  • Options

buckshee said:

Andy knows more about rockets.
  • Options
    Godstone said:

buckshee said:

Andy knows more about rockets.
    Most of his never came back though