Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England fans / Ireland fans double standards

It's been suggested many times (not only in this tournament but down the years) that Ireland fans are the salt of the earth, respectful, humorous etc etc.

Engkand fans are often condemned (sometimes rightly so) but in this tournament esp so for having the audacity to be in groups, drunk, singing (in some peoples eyes) offensive songs.

It's also been said that England's anti IRA (a reminder that they were/are a terrorist organisation) songs are a disgrace, not relevant, offensive etc etc.

So what is the honest view of the Irish here:

https://www.facebook.com/595030030572248/videos/1071706332904613/

Hope the link works - sure someone can sort it for me if not.

Anti queen, anti Britain.

Does it offend me? No. Do I always want them to lose? Yes. Does the double standard annoy me? Hell yes.

Many like me know what a significant minority of their support can be like but I feel others have their eyes blinded too it.

Comments

• Options
    Fuckin wankers
  • Options
    Ireland, Scotland and Welsh always get a nice little mention in dispatches. Brave on the pitch a good 'craic' off it. England, over paid arrogant and trouble
  • Options
    I find the sweaties more annoying.
  • Options

I find the swedes more annoying.

• Options

I find the plastic frogs more annoying.

• Options
    edited June 2016

I find the swedes more annoying.

That is a first.

Varfor tror du Sverige folk ar et problem?
  • Options

I find the plastic frogs more annoying.

The acceptable face of racism..... sad face
  • Options
    Some lovely comments under that video.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

As a future Irish passport holder I don't see what you're all getting upset about.

Prick
  • Options

It's been suggested many times (not only in this tournament but down the years) that Ireland fans are the salt of the earth, respectful, humorous etc etc.

Engkand fans are often condemned (sometimes rightly so) but in this tournament esp so for having the audacity to be in groups, drunk, singing (in some peoples eyes) offensive songs.

It's also been said that England's anti IRA (a reminder that they were/are a terrorist organisation) songs are a disgrace, not relevant, offensive etc etc.

Does it offend me? No. Do I always want them to lose? Yes. Does the double standard annoy me? Hell yes.

Many like me know what a significant minority of their support can be like but I feel others have their eyes blinded too it.

Personally never had a real problem with England fans singing anti IRA songs.

Have you got any video links showing Irish fans in a foreign country singing and dancing, hurling abuse at locals, singing 'stand up if you hate the (the people who live in that country), and throwing bottles and chairs at the police? If you have I would get the point you are making.

Having said that I do find the hype about Irish fans and their craic tiresome now. Their fans are no better or worse than the fantastic fans who have been following most of the countries in this tournament.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    colthe3rd said:

As a future Irish passport holder I don't see what you're all getting upset about.

Absolutely. Got to say thanks for posting. Quite instructive in how to have fun while abroad with my new passport, enjoying the tolerance of Europe.
  • Options
    What mugs. As VG says, the Irish love in is a joke.
  • Options
    This thread has got mileage.
  • Options

Some lovely comments under that video.

I spotted those, social media at its best.
  • Options

Personally never had a real problem with England fans singing anti IRA songs.

Have you got any video links showing Irish fans in a foreign country singing and dancing, hurling abuse at locals, singing 'stand up if you hate the (the people who live in that country), and throwing bottles and chairs at the police? If you have I would get the point you are making.

Having said that I do find the hype about Irish fans and their craic tiresome now. Their fans are no better or worse than the fantastic fans who have been following most of the countries in this tournament.
    So really no condemning and turn it back to England bashing?

The fact that no one knows or cares who they are means it's unlikely they have groups of local ultras wanting to attack them, leading to OTT police reactions to them defending themselves, which leads to people lobbing bottles at them.

If the above happened I'm pretty sure you'd see exactly the same from them that you see from England fans.

I think the fact England's two subsequent games (one a potential troublesome one against Wales) have been completely trouble free, might just show that maybe, just maybe there were other forces at play in Marseille (as predicted by most people beforehand).
  • Options
    Just to add some balance, I've got a video of England fans singing 10 German Bombers from a pub in Nice if anyone wants to see it.
  • Options
    Never ever understood this love in with them. Fuck them.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Just to add some balance, I've got a video of England fans singing 10 German Bombers from a pub in Nice if anyone wants to see it.

We already know some England fans are pricks. This is about Ireland fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

colthe3rd said:

We already know some England fans are pricks. This is about some Ireland fans.
    Fixed for you there pal.
  • Options
    Can we all just agree that it would be better if everyone kept Politics/Wars out of Football?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Hardly the same - even the bloody Germans love that song. It was sung non-bloody stop throughout 2006 with them joining in and even starting it half the time. It's now zzzzzzz.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Hardly the same - even the bloody Germans love that song. It was sung non-bloody stop throughout 2006 with them joining in and even starting it half the time. It's now zzzzzzz.
    They do - over in Germany in 2006 myself, and they were joining in signing in the bars.

But hey, some people just want to get in a dig towards England.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

We already know some England fans are pricks. This is about Ireland fans.
    Not according to the title of the tread it isn't.

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Fixed for you there pal.
    Yes some.

The original post states it's a small minority of their support. What was the point of yours?
  • Options
    What a lovely Facebook page you follow there.

Some Irish fans being rude about the Queen, followed by a load of foul mouthed Brits spouting off about aforementioned Irish fans.

Had a look at a number of the other posts on there. Think it says a lot about the people who think it's worth following!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    TelMc32 said:

Some Irish fans being rude about the Queen, followed by a load of foul mouthed Brits spouting off about aforementioned Irish fans.

Had a look at a number of the other posts on there. Think it says a lot about the people who think it's worth following!

Yeah there's none on there from Irish fans either.

Or did you skip over the ones laughing about the two Northern Ireland fans dying???
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

I follow that page!!

; )
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Fixed for you there pal.
    Yes some.

The original post states it's a small minority of their support. What was the point of yours?
    I was just making sure you weren't labeling an entire fanbase but you understand that so all good.