Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Spitfire!

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2016
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Halix said:

I live near Longfield and everyday a Spitfire flies overhead 2 or 3 times a day. I think it is a two seater and flies out of Biggin Hill taking passengers who pay big money for a short flight.

People always seem to recognise the sound and happily point towards it. Personally it brings me back bad memories of the war, one of the buggers shot me down when I was in the Luftwaffe.

Oi Fritz, do you know anything about the damage to our chip shop. ;)
    @Dazzler21, I can't speak for Halix. But anyone 16/17 in the 70s when starting work were constantly reminded by older generations that lived through or fought during the war exactly how lucky we are. Like most 16/17 year olds at the time we thought they were talking *hite but we now know different. I saw the humour intent straight away but I'm nearly 10 years older than you ;)
    Sorry about the chip shop, I was aiming for the Den and coughed at the crucial moment.
  • Options
    Halix said:

T.C.E said:

Halix said:

I live near Longfield and everyday a Spitfire flies overhead 2 or 3 times a day. I think it is a two seater and flies out of Biggin Hill taking passengers who pay big money for a short flight.

People always seem to recognise the sound and happily point towards it. Personally it brings me back bad memories of the war, one of the buggers shot me down when I was in the Luftwaffe.

Oi Fritz, do you know anything about the damage to our chip shop. ;)
    @Dazzler21, I can't speak for Halix. But anyone 16/17 in the 70s when starting work were constantly reminded by older generations that lived through or fought during the war exactly how lucky we are. Like most 16/17 year olds at the time we thought they were talking *hite but we now know different. I saw the humour intent straight away but I'm nearly 10 years older than you ;)
    Sorry about the chip shop, I was aiming for the Den and coughed at the crucial moment.
    You probably wouldn't have done much damage if you hadn't coughed.
  • Options

skywalker said:

"Despite its shortcomings, the Hurricane accounted for 656 German aircraft during the Battle of Britain - more than the Spitfire."

Yet more Hawker Hurricanes were built...
    Good thing too. The Spitfire, whilst a beautiful aircraft, was much less forgiving than the Hurricane (particularly in relation to landing gear). The Hurricane was ideal for often partly trained pilots (by peacetime standards) and could be more effectively used from dispersal airfields.

Mind you, both were luxury compared to the Gloster Gladiator (which, strangely enough, is a plane I quite like, because it's overlooked).
  • Options

skywalker said:

"Despite its shortcomings, the Hurricane accounted for 656 German aircraft during the Battle of Britain - more than the Spitfire."

Yet more Hawker Hurricanes were built...
    Good thing too. The Spitfire, whilst a beautiful aircraft, was much less forgiving than the Hurricane (particularly in relation to landing gear). The Hurricane was ideal for often partly trained pilots (by peacetime standards) and could be more effectively used from dispersal airfields.

Mind you, both were luxury compared to the Gloster Gladiator (which, strangely enough, is a plane I quite like, because it's overlooked).
    Radically radial.

• Options
    I live near Longfield and love seeing the Spitfires flying over. Always reminds me of my lovely Dad.
  • Options
    Halix said:

Bean?
  • Options
    Halix said:

sounds like a very interesting story.

love the spitfire and would definitely love the chance to go up in one but for me the lancaster takes pride of place.a beautiful flying machine. though I'm sure if you were a rear gunner, ones view might not be so romantic.
  • Options

That's a hurricane on the left. More of them fought in the RAF during WW2 but don't get the recognition that the spitfire gets.

• Options
    A kid I tutor is big into military history and he says the Spitfire was a far superior fighter plane, but credit to the Hurricane of course - could be manufactured extremely quickly and easily
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

A kid I tutor is big into military history and he says the Spitfire was a far superior fighter plane, but credit to the Hurricane of course - could be manufactured extremely quickly and easily

Yeah true. When it looked like the Germans were losing the Battle of Britain the head of the Luftwaffe got summoned by an angry Hitler who asked him, what does he need to defeat these Spitfires?? His reply? A squadron of Spitfires!
  • Options
    I preferred spitfire gold. £4.20 a pint in non London pubs, scandalous
  • Options

My cousin volunteers there and got taken up in the two seater as a surprise last year. Said it was fantastic.

If ever I win the lottery, it's the first thing I'm treating myself to (flights start at around £3k)

Oh behave, as if that would be the "first thing" you'd treat yourself to!
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Halix said:

Was watching a Channel 5 Programme last night on the Air France Flight 4590 (Concorde) that crashed back in 2000...

Doing a bit of research into Concorde this morning I cant believe a few years ago that it was voted as the best British design beating the likes of the Mini / Tube Map / Jaguar E-Type and the Spitfire... Despite being a damned good plane nothing can ever beat the Spitfire for me, magnificent aircraft!!

Personally I also favour the Spit, and the Mosquito. People seem to forget that Concorde was half french.
    The De Havilland museum in London Colney is well worth a visit.
    Agreed. Two RR Merlins sound better than one.

Just the most wonderfully designed and capable aircraft and far more versatile than the Spit.

Just come back from the Oval (Surrey v Yorkshire) with a friend who's Dad flew as a navigator in Mosquitoes in the war. He had 18 months on combat operations and survived so deciced, on the basis that he's used up all his luck, that he'd never go in/on an aeroplane again.
  • Options

My cousin volunteers there and got taken up in the two seater as a surprise last year. Said it was fantastic.

If ever I win the lottery, it's the first thing I'm treating myself to (flights start at around £3k)

Have a look at the ones that fly over the south coast mate. A lot cheaper than the ones that fly from biggin hill. Don't quote me I this but think flights start at 3 or 400 quid.

• Options
    edited July 2016

Have a look at the ones that fly over the south coast mate. A lot cheaper than the ones that fly from biggin hill. Don't quote me I this but think flights start at 3 or 400 quid.

I thing they're for the ones where you fly alongside it in another plane mate. Would imagine it's still pretty special though.

They do flights in a 1943 Harvard at Goodwood for £500 which is a bit more realistic pricewise. May be looking at something like this for my 50th in a couple of years.
  • Options

There was a small engine plane flying around south west London all this morning whilst sensible people were still in bed, perhaps it was your spitfire looking for bandits

No, it would have been flying over Brighton.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Spitfires are indeed protected. It is an offence not only to kill them, but also to deliberately disturb or interfere with them.

Explain to your mother no Spitfire will enter her house, they are far too timid.

You should be honoured to have such a wonderful creature visit your garden/pond.

I'm equally honoured as one (or possibly two) bask in my pond.

Wow. Educating you really did hit a nerve didn't it.
  • Options

I thing they're for the ones where you fly alongside it in another plane mate. Would imagine it's still pretty special though.

They do flights in a 1943 Harvard at Goodwood for £500 which is a bit more realistic pricewise. May be looking at something like this for my 50th in a couple of years.
    A "Couple" of years, Dave "Katrien" Mehmet....... ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Daggs said:

Leuth said:

Spitfires are indeed protected. It is an offence not only to kill them, but also to deliberately disturb or interfere with them.

Explain to your mother no Spitfire will enter her house, they are far too timid.

You should be honoured to have such a wonderful creature visit your garden/pond.

dude, it was a surreal homage to a great post, i'm like CL's resident nature freak
  • Options

Yeah you're right. Just looked on their site. You and a friend can go up in a spitfire EACH and have a mock dog fight with a couple of mustangs. For 12 grand.

• Options
    Leuth said:

Daggs said:

Leuth said:

dude, it was a surreal homage to a great post, i'm like CL's resident nature freak
    Freak .......... I can go with.
  • Options

Yeah you're right. Just looked on their site. You and a friend can go up in a spitfire EACH and have a mock dog fight with a couple of mustangs. For 12 grand.

Quality. It's things like this that I'd spend my life doing if I win the lottery.
  • Options
    Achtung!
  • Options
    Daggs said:

Leuth said:

Daggs said:

Leuth said:

Freak .......... I can go with.
    dude you're being fkn bizarre
  • Options

Quality. It's things like this that I'd spend my life doing if I win the lottery.
    Yeah, same. People who go back to work a few months after winning the lottery because 'they got bored'!! Do me a favour, there's a world out there and you can do whatever you want with it. Get creative ffs!

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Ive heard that a few people are a bit worried about taking a jolly in a plane built 70 odd years ago, but I've just read that the US Airforce is starting to renovate B52 bombers built in the early 1960s to remain in service until around 2040. I think I would be a bit concerned about flying around in a plane up to 80 years old, though they would be a bit like triggers broom.
  • Options

Was watching a Channel 5 Programme last night on the Air France Flight 4590 (Concorde) that crashed back in 2000...

Doing a bit of research into Concorde this morning I cant believe a few years ago that it was voted as the best British design beating the likes of the Mini / Tube Map / Jaguar E-Type and the Spitfire... Despite being a damned good plane nothing can ever beat the Spitfire for me, magnificent aircraft!!

Concorde was developed in the 70s when most TVs were black and white, well advanced for its time.